Parrot question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Major mitchells are what i'm eyeing currently, anyone here who has kept them/has experience with them?
Major Mitchells are beautiful but highly strung and while there are always exceptions they are not real tame and cuddly as a pet. Red Tail Blacks are very intelligent, gentle, definitely cuddly but they don't talk. Breeders prices are $800 - $1200 or you can pay more for a really good hand raised one. They are a lot of work to hand raise a chick as it takes several months, in the wild the chicks stay with the parents for 18mths and go through an intense education period and you have to duplicate that with hand raising. If possible get Magnificus, they are bigger and calmer.
Yellow Tail Blacks have a more outgoing personality and can be very rebellious and destructive around a house.

both yellowtails and magnificus are out of my price range currently, sadly.(though working towards having the money for a magnificus, slowly.)

Understandable, I'm gonna hopefully start breeding dragons to get some money a bit faster than I would otherwise.
if you think breeding bearded dragons is going to become a source of income you are in for a nasty surprise,I have bred central and pygmy beardies for a few seasons, the expense far outweighs the return.Not only do you have to provide tubs/containers for all the hatchies plus heat & UV lights for each 1 but also fresh food (which must be prepared daily) and bugs twice a day and then you have to separate the dragons into more and more enclosures (which means even more lights) as they grow till you can finally sell them 6-8 weeks after hatching.I estimate my first season I spent more than $4000 on equipment and food plus 4 hours daily on top of running my own truck business ( another 12+ hours per day) to raise 5 clutches of centrals & 3 clutches of pygmies.(WHEW)
All this to make maybe $50-$100 each if you're lucky.
Add to this your initial outlay and 2 year wait before you can even start to breed!
And don't forget about electricity costs.
I still breed dragons but I do it on a smaller scale because I love seeing baby dragons grow up!!!
Plus I love seeing the kids (and Parents) who buy them get excited.

I'm in the process of buying another house (downsizing in a cheaper area so I can retire without a mortgage) and it's costing me around $100,000 more for a house with enough land, a triple garage plus sheds suitable for my reptiles, birds, mice, rats than I would otherwise need if I did not have them.

I would only be breeding for the love of the animals and buying new animals.

i definitely know it's not, it's partially for experience and partially just because i love agamids, the money i could get back possibly was the bonus.

not bearded dragons, smaller dragons. i was planning to get them anyways.
smaller dragons bring similar problems,more expensive to buy initially and then smaller clutches to sell,so smaller profits,I have central netted dragons as well as the others.Don't think that dragons are going to be an ongoing income,as I said before ,lot's of work,lot's of $. But if you love them enough and are prepared to put in the work,there are lot's of rewards :)

smaller dragons bring similar problems,more expensive to buy initially and then smaller clutches to sell,so smaller profits,I have central netted dragons as well as the others.Don't think that dragons are going to be an ongoing income,as I said before ,lot's of work,lot's of $. But if you love them enough and are prepared to put in the work,there are lot's of rewards :)
Time to get into Komodos mate. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back