Palm tree bark safe for Snakes?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i think that one is a bit to wet for what i use these ones the bases of those exactly the same ones i use
dead-fronds.jpg
I just washed all the dirt and stuff off I'm gonna let it fully dry before I use it though

Beautiful snake mate and excellent photos.

The frond base shown in the opening post is not a great sample. It looks like it might be from a Queen/Cocos palm. Irrespective, there are much better available. Kentia palms have excellent larger frond bases. Triangle palms, like-wise but the bases are quite woody and thick and not amenable to bending, so you might need to partially bury it or saw off the edges if you want to use it as a hide. The fronds shown in Post #16 are from a Golden Cane palm, another species very common in cultivation. Their bases are much thinner and bendable, except around the mid-rib).

Don't see why not, but just keep in mind this stuff can get pretty mouldy so try to keep it dry
Actually the bases of palm fronds are not prone to going mouldy, despite the fact that rainwater gets channelled down the trunk and into them. The white you can see on the one in the picture is residue from mealy bugs which like a moist, protected environment such as that provided by leaf sheaths on plants. Palm frond bases take a long time to decompose in the compost bin, so I used to throw them out but cut up and use the rest of the frond.

Actually the bases of palm fronds are not prone to going mouldy, despite the fact that rainwater gets channelled down the trunk and into them. The white you can see on the one in the picture is residue from mealy bugs which like a moist, protected environment such as that provided by leaf sheaths on plants. Palm frond bases take a long time to decompose in the compost bin, so I used to throw them out but cut up and use the rest of the frond.
In my experiences all parts of palm trees go mouldy much more easy than other plants. Even being left in the shade while relatively dry I've had them go mouldy, and not just the bases of the fronds. Could have just been ideal conditions though.
Freshly chopped stems go especially mouldy.

Beautiful snake mate and excellent photos.

The frond base shown in the opening post is not a great sample. It looks like it might be from a Queen/Cocos palm. Irrespective, there are much better available. Kentia palms have excellent larger frond bases. Triangle palms, like-wise but the bases are quite woody and thick and not amenable to bending, so you might need to partially bury it or saw off the edges if you want to use it as a hide. The fronds shown in Post #16 are from a Golden Cane palm, another species very common in cultivation. Their bases are much thinner and bendable, except around the mid-rib).

Thanks mate. Thank you for all the info very helpful

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

In my experiences all parts of palm trees go mouldy much more easy than other plants. Even being left in the shade while relatively dry I've had them go mouldy, and not just the bases of the fronds. Could have just been ideal conditions though.
Freshly chopped stems go especially mouldy.
What species of palm did you experience this with?

My apologies but I probably did not make it clear enough that I was talking about palm frond bases which had fully dried on the tree before being removed. Some species self-shed old dead fronds while other develop a ‘skirt’ of dead fronds, and some do a bit of both. In these naturally dried frond bases only the wood component remains i.e. lignin.

Were your Golden Cane palm fronds naturally shed or were they stripped from the tree? Did they cop watering from reticulation? Were they in full shade protected from wind? Is the surrounding soil permanently moist and is are there plants near by? These sorts of factors can cause even eucalypt branches to rot.

The problem appears is that you made a generalisation based on a limited observation (which I would consider to be atypical). I have done that a number of times in the past and have learned the hard way to be more cautious in my wording of opinion based on limited observations. @bluedragon. Do you have ever any mould issues with the palm frond bases you use, as pictured in post #16?

It was (naturally) dried palm frond bases that were coated with dew each morning. In full shade on grass in a not so windy area.

My apologies but I probably did not make it clear enough that I was talking about palm frond bases which had fully dried on the tree before being removed. Some species self-shed old dead fronds while other develop a ‘skirt’ of dead fronds, and some do a bit of both. In these naturally dried frond bases only the wood component remains i.e. lignin.

Were your Golden Cane palm fronds naturally shed or were they stripped from the tree? Did they cop watering from reticulation? Were they in full shade protected from wind? Is the surrounding soil permanently moist and is are there plants near by? These sorts of factors can cause even eucalypt branches to rot.

The problem appears is that you made a generalisation based on a limited observation (which I would consider to be atypical). I have done that a number of times in the past and have learned the hard way to be more cautious in my wording of opinion based on limited observations. @bluedragon. Do you have ever any mould issues with the palm frond bases you use, as pictured in post #16?
nope

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back