Woodies

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Foozil

Reaction score
Does anybody know of any pet shops in Wollongong that sell woodies? Or anybody else that sells them?
(sorry if this is in the wrong place, mods)
Thanks,

Last edited:
Make sure you have your order in by Sunday and you will get them Wednesday or Thursday.

Honestly I'd buy a bulk lot and then start breeding you own. It's really not hard.

Spare heat mat and/or cord under plastic tub set to 30c and chuck in any spare food scraps you have (just don't over do it) and make sure you have plenty of ventilation. Also apply some Vaseline around the top of the tub to prevent them from getting out (mine is open at the top with no lid/screen, but up to you).

I started with about 3-4 tubs (which I stock up every now and again, but not often) of large Woodies from a local pet shop and I now have hundreds if not thousands in a matter of months.

Honestly I'd buy a bulk lot and then start breeding you own. It's really not hard.
You don't need to start out with a bulk lot. I started this colony with just 30 woodies from Brian.
20170928_181145.jpg

Once a year I buy a small container of Pisces woodies from any random pet store and put them in my woody bin. This is just to add some more genetics to the colony. Also, rather than keep them in tubs, they fare a lot better straight outside in a large compost bin.

I am going to start breeding them. Where I am heat cord isn't needed.

I am going to start breeding them. Where I am heat cord isn't needed.
I don't use a heat cord either (except for a little time during winter)
I used to let them die off during winter and start a new colony (this is why Brian loves me) in spring but I bought central netted last year so I needed small bugs year round.Sorry Brian it's not you it's me.

I don't use a heat cord either (except for a little time during winter)
I used to let them die off during winter and start a new colony (this is why Brian loves me) in spring but I bought central netted last year so I needed small bugs year round.Sorry Brian it's not you it's me.
They shouldn't die off, they just stop breeding for about a month... I'm on top of the Great Dividing Range and it's been down to -16 in the dead of winter and mine have been outside now for 6 years. They don't die off. Even when the woody bin is covered in frost they're still alive. They just eat noticeably less because they slow right down... Mine have still been breeding in June, stop in July and usually start again in late August. The bin gets the sun all day so even in winter it stays warm enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back