New central netted dragon cabinet

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluedragon

Reaction score
i picked up this nice old TV cabinet from my friends house they used to have a snake in there so disinfected it with pure white vinegar and setup and it looks like this now it a metre wide 1.2 meters tall 58cm deep
P1000741.JPG P1000742.JPG P1000743.JPG P1000744.JPG

Like the new enclosure and I must say your critter is definitely looking much better. (It must have been a stress-related issue that caused its decline in condition.) With that height available, if you wanted to, you could easily fill the base with 30 cm of loamy sand to let it burrow. There’s also enough room to put in the top of an old wooden fence post for a character basking site, if you were so inclined. It’s amazing what these critter will climb to use for basking sites in the wild…
upload_2018-2-5_14-17-22.png

Your dragon seems to be wanting more heat by sitting on top of the light/heater cage. The recommended basking spot temp is between 40oC and 45oC, (as in the care notes provided earlier from an APS member). Given their preferred body temperature has been measured at 36.4oC, a basking temperature around 5oC warmer is definitely appropriate. Nonetheless, he is looking good.

Like the new enclosure and I must say your critter is definitely looking much better. (It must have been a stress-related issue that caused its decline in condition.) With that height available, if you wanted to, you could easily fill the base with 30 cm of loamy sand to let it burrow. There’s also enough room to put in the top of an old wooden fence post for a character basking site, if you were so inclined. It’s amazing what these critter will climb to use for basking sites in the wild…
View attachment 323162

Your dragon seems to be wanting more heat by sitting on top of the light/heater cage. The recommended basking spot temp is between 40oC and 45oC, (as in the care notes provided earlier from an APS member). Given their preferred body temperature has been measured at 36.4oC, a basking temperature around 5oC warmer is definitely appropriate. Nonetheless, he is looking good.
thanks but the light fitting i dont want to wreck the design of it by replacing it but i dont know if theirs a powerful enough heat light i can get from bunnings thats a pop in fitting like the ones you push and twist

thanks but the light fitting i dont want to wreck the design of it by replacing it but i dont know if theirs a powerful enough heat light i can get from bunnings thats a pop in fitting like the ones you push and twist
Aren’t most fittings screwins?

What the care sheet recommended was a “240v 50w halogen light” at 15 – 25 cm from the basking spot. What you want is a spotlight or reduced angle floodlight globe, which will have an inbuilt reflector that directs the heat downwards. If it is only available in Edison screw base, you can buy an adaptor that fits into the bayonet fixture and converts to an ES fixture.

Do you currently have a UV light source in the new enclosure?

What the care sheet recommended was a “240v 50w halogen light” at 15 – 25 cm from the basking spot. What you want is a spotlight or reduced angle floodlight globe, which will have an inbuilt reflector that directs the heat downwards. If it is only available in Edison screw base, you can buy an adaptor that fits into the bayonet fixture and converts to an ES fixture.

Do you currently have a UV light source in the new enclosure?
Edison fitting also known as screw in or E27- older fittings are known as bayonet which is the push and twist like old house lights or car globes
If you buy an adaptor make sure it is a ceramic one/don't buy plastic s#$t as it will melt or cause a fire! better off to replace the fitting with a ceramic,I don't like/trust adaptors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back