New Ackie & monitor UVB question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Foozil

Reaction score
Hi,

The other day I got my first monitor, an ackies! I've wanted a monitor for SO long, and I'm super excited to finally have one. Its about 3 weeks old and unsexed.
Enclosure:
IMG_1271.JPG
IMG_1274.JPG
IMG_1278 2.JPG
IMG_1302.JPG

Also, if anyone can tell me about UVB for monitors? @Smittiferous @Stompsy

Thanks,
[doublepost=1517794899,1517787821][/doublepost]Btw - is the enclosure alright? The UV is now in a different spot and can't be touched by the monitor.

UV is not absolutely necessary for monitors. It won't hurt them, but with the correct diet, not needed.
Maybe it's the photos, but it looks older than 3 weeks.

UV is not absolutely necessary for monitors. It won't hurt them, but with the correct diet, not needed.
Maybe it's the photos, but it looks older than 3 weeks.
Thank you. The breeder has been loading it with woodies so he looks a bit bigger than your average 3 week old haha.

Woodies and crickets make up the perfect diet at that age, dusted with multi-cal or something similar every two to three days. Chicken mince for pets can be introduced slowly; this has the bones minced in with the meat, unlike turkey mince. When it gets older, chopped chicken necks go down well too, as do pinkies.

Ok cool @pinefamily. So maybe if I give it some chicken mince once a week at its current age?

I’ve not kept Ackies before so I’m not sure on the specifics for them but uvb is a must for all monitors.

What temp is the basking spot?

And I agree with pinefamily in that a varied diet is best, crickets and woodies are great, but also whole foods like pinkies will benefit them. Smittiferous might be able to help more as he has kept an ackie before.

Sorry I couldn’t be of more help.

I’ve not kept Ackies before so I’m not sure on the specifics for them but uvb is a must for all monitors.

What temp is the basking spot?

And I agree with pinefamily in that a varied diet is best, crickets and woodies are great, but also whole foods like pinkies will benefit them. Smittiferous might be able to help more as he has kept an ackie before.

Sorry I couldn’t be of more help.
No worries and thanks. The basking spot gets to around 50 - 60˚c, but I'm not sure how accurate my temp gun is.

I’d also suggest dusting the crickets and woodies every second feed, just to ensure he’s getting everything he needs.

He’s very cute. How does he handle?

Thanks @Stompsy. I am dusting them every second feed as you said. He's not a biter thankfully, hes just not too confident with me yet, so a bit squirmy. I'm tong feeding him to hopefully build up his trust.
[doublepost=1517807915,1517807588][/doublepost]And at what length would/could pinkies be ok for him to eat?

Thanks @Stompsy. I am dusting them every second feed as you said. He's not a biter thankfully, hes just not too confident with me yet, so a bit squirmy. I'm tong feeding him to hopefully build up his trust.
[doublepost=1517807915,1517807588][/doublepost]And at what length would/could pinkies be ok for him to eat?
Well keep us posted on his progress. And I hope you get some more specific info!

Re pinkies: I guess that depends how big he is as it’s very hard to gauge from photos! But maybe buy some pinky mice and see how he handles them.

Well keep us posted on his progress. And I hope you get some more specific info!
Will do, thanks again!
[doublepost=1517808181,1517808032][/doublepost]And sorry about the bad photos lol. I have some pinkies in the freezer from when my diamond python was smaller. If they're too big could I just cut them up? If not i'll just do the chicken mince.

Will do, thanks again!
[doublepost=1517808181,1517808032][/doublepost]And sorry about the bad photos lol. I have some pinkies in the freezer from when my diamond python was smaller. If they're too big could I just cut them up? If not i'll just do the chicken mince.
Cutting them frozen is easier and then just let them defrost in the bowl. If you try cutting them thawed, you may throw up. It’s pretty disgusting. But yes, that will work.

Cutting them frozen is easier and then just let them defrost in the bowl. If you try cutting them thawed, you may throw up. It’s pretty disgusting. But yes, that will work.
Ok thanks for the advice, I can see that making a mess haha. They are certainly too big on their own so I'll try cutting them up in the morning, he's already had a pretty big feed today!

I waiting on a mercury vapour bulb for my spencer to knock over uv and heating in one. Not sure if it’s going to work on a dimming thermostat though.

Once any monitor get familiar with you, just take them outside into a secure area for a few hours of natural sunlight; certainly saves on UV bulbs.

Once any monitor get familiar with you, just take them outside into a secure area for a few hours of natural sunlight; certainly saves on UV bulbs.
Sounds good. At the moment there's no way he's going outside :)
[doublepost=1517862446,1517819864][/doublepost]Update: He LOVES chicken mince, although he gets it all over his chops and I have to clean it off haha

Sounds good. At the moment there's no way he's going outside :)
[doublepost=1517862446,1517819864][/doublepost]Update: He LOVES chicken mince, although he gets it all over his chops and I have to clean it off haha
I recommend using pet mince (the kind you get from the supermarket in those 5-sachet packs, advertised for cats) as it has calcium added to it. Mince intended for human consumption does not.

Lenard’s also sell ground chicken carcass as pet mince, dirt cheap per kilo, good source of calcium as well. Only shortfall is it’s very pasty.

I recommend using pet mince (the kind you get from the supermarket in those 5-sachet packs, advertised for cats) as it has calcium added to it. Mince intended for human consumption does not.

Lenard’s also sell ground chicken carcass as pet mince, dirt cheap per kilo, good source of calcium as well. Only shortfall is it’s very pasty.
Thanks for the info! I'll get some of that too.

I'd have to disagree with this statement. A diet of whole animals negates the need for the UV.

I don't like the idea of mince. If you can stomach it, chopped up adult mice are the go. That way they get the fur, bones and organs - specifically the liver where they get all the Vitamin D they need without the requirement for UV. If you do it with a sharp knife while they're still frozen, it's not too difficult or gross. Once he/she is a bit bigger you don't need to chop them up any more.

I'd have to disagree with this statement. A diet of whole animals negates the need for the UV.

I don't like the idea of mince. If you can stomach it, chopped up adult mice are the go. That way they get the fur, bones and organs - specifically the liver where they get all the Vitamin D they need without the requirement for UV. If you do it with a sharp knife while they're still frozen, it's not too difficult or gross. Once he/she is a bit bigger you don't need to chop them up any more.
Thanks for the info. I'm not too squeemish so I'll try this too.
I don't know whether to do mince or mice now haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back