Gecko Help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GhoulGecko

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I just have some questions about my leaf tailed gecko. I have had her for a few months now and at the start she was fine. But now, all she does is hide away and never come out. I feed her calcium coated crickets every second feed but she doesn't eat them. I mist her enclosure once a day but she doesn't drink it. And the crickets hide away in a tiny gap near the ceiling of her enclosure.

I got her so she could help me out, because by handling reptiles it helps me feel calm. But she is just making me super stressed out. Can anybody help me?

Thanks in advance.

It may be the handling that is causing her to hide. Geckos aren't really a handling type of reptile unfortunately, it just stresses them.
If you want something to handle, you would be better off getting a Blue Tongue, Bearded Dragon or a snake.

Cool thanks. If thats the case what do you suggest I do with her?
My parents said I could really only keep one in my room. I was thinking about an ackie monitor because I know a lot about them and I have a big enough space that I could keep it.
Thanks again.

The only thing I can suggest is to keep handling to the essential times, like cleaning the enclosure etc. Keep an eye on her tail as that is where they store fat reserves and note if she seems to be losing condition. Maybe cut the misting back also. If you can, get a digital hygrometer and watch the humidity, misting everyday may be keeping the humidity too high.

Geckoes hate handling - it causes them extreme stress and will make them go off food and hide more, due to feeling unsafe. They are also nocturnal, which isn't the best for an animal you want to be "out of the hide".

Thanks guys.
I was also wondering if ackie monitors would be a good ‘out of hide’ animal?

Thanks guys.
I was also wondering if ackie monitors would be a good ‘out of hide’ animal?
They sure are. Mine basks for pretty much all day except for the very end when it makes a little burrow to sleep in for the night.

They sure are. Mine basks for pretty much all day except for the very end when it makes a little burrow to sleep in for the night.
Thanks mate! That sounds pretty neat because it would match up with my sleep schedule.

Thanks mate! That sounds pretty neat because it would match up with my sleep schedule.
Yup! I just put a towel over it's enclosure after dark to simulate a natural night-day cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back