Raising quail - feeding live??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone, there's no one method to humanely kill quail. What may work for you may not work for someone else. Let's leave it at that. There's no need to include politics or lifestyle choices into this thread.

It seems a long bow to draw from simply flicking a quail to kill it instantly verse some roller coaster holocaust machine thingy, are you German?

I'm not going to lower myself to your standards. Being called a fascist is one thing but what my nationality has to do with anything I have no idea, unless this is your attempt at humour bringing the holocaust into the topic.

In all fairness gassing might be considered ethical, but this is only if it is done correctly, which the majority of the time it isn't.
Ever had a rodent bleed from the nose after defrosting? Well that's a rodent that has been gassed in an unethical manner. Too much gas in too short a time and the blood vessels in their lungs rupture which I am sure is not a peaceful, off to sleep death.

In all fairness gassing might be considered ethical, but this is only if it is done correctly, which the majority of the time it isn't.
Ever had a rodent bleed from the nose after defrosting? Well that's a rodent that has been gassed in an unethical manner. Too much gas in too short a time and the blood vessels in their lungs rupture which I am sure is not a peaceful, off to sleep death.

Agreed.....hence my earlier comment.........
Too many people make mistakes which is why gassing is the suggested alternative.....(Not that people always get that right either)

I was wondering why there are so few people left here, has the altright taken over?
Where the hell is that comment coming from?
How do you read what I posted as an altright statement?

There are so few people here because idiots destroyed the forum many years ago with ridiculous statements, personal attacks etc. and then Crackbook signed the death knoll.
Hopefully it doesn't become like it was again.

Where the hell is that comment coming from?
How do you read what I posted as an altright statement?

There are so few people here because idiots destroyed the forum many years ago with ridiculous statements, personal attacks etc. and then Crackbook signed the death knoll.
Hopefully it doesn't become like it was again.

Calm down, I'm not the one who wants to promote gassing as the only final "ethical" solution lol. FMD I would have thought a forum like this would be a place for people to share herping adventures etc. without being prosecuted for evil acts like photographing wildife. Do people still do illegal herping and upload onto farcebook and twatter despite possible prosecution?

lol.......interpret what I say in what ever manner you deem fit.
You seem to consider that feeding live is ethical so I don't see how you can possibly criticise any other comments.
Certainly not a discussion point that will be deemed as fit for this forum of today.

Calm down, I'm not the one who wants to promote gassing as the only final "ethical" solution lol. FMD I would have thought a forum like this would be a place for people to share herping adventures etc. without being prosecuted for evil acts like photographing wildife. Do people still do illegal herping and upload onto farcebook and twatter despite possible prosecution?
I didn't state gassing was the only option either.

To quote yourself " what book have you been reading" or should I say newspaper?
Since when is herping illegal?
If that was the case every herpetological society that go herping are breaking the law.

People do share their herping adventures here, have a look at the 'Field Herping' catergory.

Maybe check out some of the posts around the place too and take note that this isn't the old 'free for all' APS where people slung mud wherever the felt like.

I'd like to say welcome back but I will reserve that judgement for a later date.

Wow is this correct.. as I have this issue with the blood nose after the defrost. .. I might have to ask my supplier about this..
Thank you for raising this..

Peace y'all

Instagram: murph_BTK

A python hug is probably as humane as a backyard gas chamber IMO. Simple and quick is the best way unless you have 6 gorillian of them.
No ethics committee in this country (or the US, UK etc.) shares that opinion with you and their conclusions are based on assessments of actual investigations. The informed vote is several thousand to one, which clearly says something about the worth of your opinion.

So yesterday when I was watching a whip snake eat a dragon should I have called the RSPCA? or should I have killed the snake to stop it killing more harmless lizards? …
...What happens in nature is due to nature. However, when you bring an animal into captivity, it is no longer nature that determines what happens, but humans. That is what is being discussed here. So your comment has zero relevance.

…It seems a long bow to draw from simply flicking a quail to kill it instantly verse some roller coaster holocaust machine thingy, are you German?
Your likening of a CO2 gassing chamber to a holocaust machine is like comparing Thomas the Tank Engine to a goods train locomotive - ridiculous and of no value here. However there is simply no excuse for the incredibly offensive reference to being German. I am totally disgusted!

Last edited:
So yesterday when I was watching a whip snake eat a dragon should I have called the RSPCA? or should I have killed the snake to stop it killing more harmless lizards?
I see where you're coming from with this point (and this point only), but as I said before if you have the option to painlessly kill the prey item for a captive snake then why on earth would you want to go with the most painful way for the prey and potentially the snake??

As a qualified slaughterman by trade, the quickest and most effective method to put any animal out with the least amount of stress/pain/trauma is a big bang to the head. In my job, I use an industry approved compressed air pneumatic stun gun which delivers a retractable bolt shaped like a mushroom at 240psi straight between the eyes. The kinetic energy released doesn't even break the skin on the beast's forehead but causes the skull to fracture and the brain to rebound like a ping pong ball off the back and front of the skull repeatedly at high speed causing instant loss of consciousness They're out before they even know what's happening and within 30 seconds another slaughterman makes a transverse and thoracic stick so they can bleed out completely whilst the heart's still beating thus preventing ecchymosis and it's all over. 1,350 head/day. No mishaps.

I've seen gassing have some awful effects. I can't even bring myself to gas Indian Mynas that I trap and that's the recommended method... Seen and heard way too much of that going the wrong way in my experiences. I've watched (not my own) but people gassing mice and rats and they run around hysterically, gasping, peeing and crapping themselves all over the place before eventually falling over and going into what appears to be nothing short of agonising death throes.

Last edited:
So yesterday when I was watching a whip snake eat a dragon should I have called the RSPCA? or should I have killed the snake to stop it killing more harmless lizards?

I see where you're coming from with this point (and this point only), but as I said before if you have the option to painlessly kill the prey item for a captive snake then why on earth would you want to go with the most painful way for the prey and potentially the snake??

@Foozil
The statement has no foundation Foozil. In captivity the prey item has no opportunity to escape. Therefor it isn't a fair fight and the terror suffered is akin to animal cruelty.

@Foozil
The statement has no foundation Foozil. In captivity the prey item has no opportunity to escape. Therefor it isn't a fair fight and the terror suffered is akin to animal cruelty.
Mine or Cris's?

Last edited by a moderator:

I have never suggested you should do anything other than kill animals instantly. I may have had a few and engaged in some banter, but it is a pretty simple topic, just like it was 10 years ago.
[doublepost=1518762473,1518762374][/doublepost]
@Foozil

This is some hippy logic that has no basis in reality, IRL prey doesn't have a 'fair fight'.

I have never suggested you should do anything other than kill animals instantly. I may have had a few and engaged in some banter, but it is a pretty simple topic, just like it was 10 years ago.
I was referring to your previous post.

I'm gonna stay out of this thread now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back