Man fined $10,000 for killing 'iconic' croc

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So should half of the humans but neither are going to happen.

People need to learn to work with the land not against it, just like the Aboriginals of Australia did for thousands of years.
There were never 25 million aboriginals with croc farms in Australia. That is not a valid comparison.

The weapons will just be temporarily impounded pending verification that they're all legit. That's all.

It is possible for them to be taken and the licence voided as it is arguably not a legal use of a firearm, it is the type of thing they may need a lawyer for. There have been a few cases recently in eastern states where people have used guns for lawful selfdefence and ended up in legal trouble as the firearm is was used out of the capacity it is permited to be used.

It is possible for them to be taken and the licence voided as it is arguably not a legal use of a firearm, it is the type of thing they may need a lawyer for. There have been a few cases recently in eastern states where people have used guns for lawful selfdefence and ended up in legal trouble as the firearm is was used out of the capacity it is permited to be used.
I honestly can't see that happening, over this incident.

There were never 25 million aboriginals in Australia. That is not a valid comparison.
It doesn't matter how many there were or how many we are now. People have no thought of what they are doing to the land and with a little planning and preparation these type of things can be avoided.
The croc was here before the shooter and the station owner. In reality it is his land and if someone wants to build a cattle station on it then they should work around it. Fences work wonders for keeping cattle where people want them. Fence the river and make fenced drinking stations. Problem solved.

Any reasons why what Scutellatus said couldn't be done? Just a fence...
Just a fence isn't just a fence when it comes to a cattle property... The more fences there are the more work and more dramas. You confine cattle to feed in a particular area then they constantly have to be moved and then there's the muster. Bikes, quads, horses, choppers... you don't want to be effing about with fences and gates... cattle are very easily spooked and the way they move is by following the leader. Short of working on a station or feedlot first hand and being experienced in cattle husbandry, you just wouldn't understand fully. There's cattle stations you can drive on for 2 days and not see a fence.

There's also no evidence to suggest it hasn't. UFO's could have taken the cattle though...
Based on that statement I could be convicted of any number of crimes because there is no evidence to say I didn't commit them.

C'mon Kev instead of taking everything as YOU see it, which it seems you do, maybe broaden your mindset away from your killing fields work life.
I eat meat by the way so please don't misconstrue my statement.

This guy could have easily reported the loss of livestock to the department, let them deal with it and a grand old man would still be alive, even if it took a little longer than a bullet and cost them more in losses.

The station owner would be richer than five of us put together and can't absorb some losses? The sad reality of some of the human race.

Last edited:
Based on that statement I could be convicted of any number of crimes because there is no evidence to say I didn't commit them.

C'mon Kev instead of taking everything as YOU see it, which it seems you do, maybe broaden your mindset away from your killing fields work life.
I eat meat by the way so please don't misconstrue my statement.

This guy could have easily reported the loss of livestock to the department, let them deal with it and a grand old man would still be alive, even if it took a little longer than a bullet and cost them more in losses.

The station owner would be richer than five of us put together and can't absorb some losses. The sad reality of some of the human race.
Shoulda coulda woulda... means nothing. He took the CHEAPEST option available simple. 10c bullet, even with the fine it's still cheaper.

The croc was here before the shooter and the station owner.

Copper and lead was here before the croc. Some farmers and the government do some really bad stuff, but killing one pest croc is not a significant issue. The real problem is the failure in developing good wildife policies...

Billions of dollars, not cost effective and would make more problems than it would fix.
Billions to run a fence for thirteen kilometres? I think not.
Just a fence isn't just a fence when it comes to a cattle property... The more fences there are the more work and more dramas. You confine cattle to feed in a particular area then they constantly have to be moved and then there's the muster. Bikes, quads, horses, choppers... you don't want to be effing about with fences and gates... cattle are very easily spooked and the way they move is by following the leader. Short of working on a station or feedlot first hand and being experienced in cattle husbandry, you just wouldn't understand fully. There's cattle stations you can drive on for 2 days and not see a fence.
I am talking a fence along a river not across their property. A fence that wouldn't have gates unless they need to cross the river for muster, so what if someone has to go ahead and open gates, that's what jack/jillaroos are for.

Billions to run a fence for thirteen kilometres? I think not.

I am talking a fence along a river not across their property. A fence that wouldn't have gates unless they need to cross the river for muster, so what if someone has to go ahead and open gates, that's what jack/jillaroos are for.

Well you would have to fence all water ways in the croc distribution, it would actually cost trillions of dollars if it was even possible. The massive negative ecological impact would be beyond what most people could grasp. Not to mention problems like rain and flooding.

Cattle also graze through fences because the grass is always greener... this causes ear tags to get caught and expensive RFID's to be torn out... nope...sorry but won't work. Without RFID tags cattle can't be legally slaughtered. Massive cost to the producer.

I've spent some time on a sheep station out at Winton and can assure you they have fences. The value of the livestock dictates that you need boundary fences or you lose animals.

I am leaving it at that before this thread gets shut down like the others have.

I'v spent some time on a sheep station out at Winton and can assure you they have fences. The value of the livestock dictates that you need boundary fences or you lose animals.

I second that, I spend lots of time of cattle and sheep farmer's properties. Fences as far as the eye can see.

I'v spent some time on a sheep station out at Winton and can assure you they have fences. The value of the livestock dictates that you need boundary fences or you lose animals.

Boundary fences are the bare minimum required. Anything other than that is a nuisance and unnecessary hassle. Not all stations have boundary fences, many are bordered by natural features/barriers like rivers, escarpments, etc.

The reason we are having this debate is we are over populated for our resources, and cattle stations have expanded into new areas to help feed our population. That, and the greed of cattle station owners wanting to make mega dollars exporting the beef to China.
While it does look bad, the shooting of the crocodile is something that rightly or wrongly occurs in the country on a semi-regular basis. Having said that, the man caught does need to be charged under the law. Ignore the law, and we become a third world country.

The guy got prosecuted and rightly so.
No matter what anyone says in his defence the animal was protected by LAW and for a change the law stood up and actually did something to send a message.
Like the rules or not, they are the rules and the rules (law) is what separates us from the dark ages, end of story.

The guy got prosecuted and rightly so.
No matter what anyone says in his defence the animal was protected by LAW and for a change the law stood up and actually did something to send a message.
Like the rules or not, they are the rules and the rules (law) is what separates us from the dark ages, end of story.
And as the old saying goes, there's always exceptions to the "rules." The rogue croc is gone now, end of story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back