Artificial Lighting

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nerdhero

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey all.

I recently purchased some used enclosures and have attempted to fix them up. I've been trying to figure out how I can get artificial lighting into the enclosure without being able to see a big bulb or something hanging off the top. The idea is this light will help simulate a day/night cycle and also increase visibility.

I came up with the idea of using strip led lighting on the lip just above the sliding glass (eg its facing INTO the enclosure not downwards). Now this lighting does use a sticky adhesive backing which was a major concern so I've set it up in an enclosure with no animals inside as a test run. I've also been running the heat for extended periods of time on these recent hot days to see if the adhesive is going to hold.

All in all the lights have stuck nicely and have not come off after 6 days of high ambient temps + heating (in normal circumstances the heat would not be on in this weather) I have also placed blu-tack at the ends to ensure the snake can't *peel* it off.

28170390_810327395817258_823233176_o.jpg 28217464_810327209150610_1820448082_o.jpg

As you can see though the lights are actually quite bright and I'm concerned this may irritate the animal, though there is still plenty of dark nooks for hiding.

So my questions are:
Am I playing with fire using essentially sticky tape inside the enclosure?
Is Blu-Tak safe for snakes? Also how does it go with heat (so far its been fine)?
Are the bright lights simply going to irritate the animal? Remember the lights are facing inwards.

A few notes about the setup:
The plastic container is ice, I want my diamond to go in here so I'm trying to see if I can get a suitable gradient even on crazy hot days like what we've been having recently. So far I can get it to around 24-25 near the container.

The white strip you see on the wall is from the previous owner, I assume they used double sided tape to hold up some kind of pad or aesthetic piece. Its no longer sticky but I plan to get it off with metho and a scraper.

Thanks for reading!

I wouldn't think the lights would irritate the snake, especially if you have some dark areas for hiding.
Blu-Tac is not a good idea and could be replaced with some small screws or tacks along the length of the led strip, which would also prevent the snake from accessing the sticky backing of the led strips.

Thanks @Scutellatus I plan to add another length of the fake vines you see to add a bit more cover. As for the no blu-tac is this because it can stick to the snake? I tried to do research on this and found very varying results.

I thought of putting thumb tacks through the strip but im not sure how if that would hit important bits and cause the lights to stop working.

With the Blu-Tac, it may not be sticky enough to attach to the snake but this is dependant on many factors like heat and humidity, so it is better to be safe than sorry I think.

With the strip, the wires should run straight down the centre allowing you to fix it either side of that with careful placement.

I got similar led lights for my double enclosure (with dimming, and different colors) and placed it facing like yours, not downwards...most parts stuck just fine with the sticky backing, and a year later haven't moved, but some parts have refused to stay on since day two. I ended up putting a nail in under it and bending it up and over, more out of frustration. I didn't want to muck around with screws or thumb tacks in case I electrocuted myself haha. From memory I used a tiny dab of liquid nails, but that didn't hold for longer than 2 weeks, so back to the nails.

Do you reckon the thumb tacks would be safe? Absolutely? Obviously if put in between the wire bits. I mean nothing is absolutely safe but theres one end part that is pi$$ing me off.

I got similar led lights for my double enclosure (with dimming, and different colors) and placed it facing like yours, not downwards...most parts stuck just fine with the sticky backing, and a year later haven't moved, but some parts have refused to stay on since day two. I ended up putting a nail in under it and bending it up and over, more out of frustration. I didn't want to muck around with screws or thumb tacks in case I electrocuted myself haha. From memory I used a tiny dab of liquid nails, but that didn't hold for longer than 2 weeks, so back to the nails.

Do you reckon the thumb tacks would be safe? Absolutely? Obviously if put in between the wire bits. I mean nothing is absolutely safe but theres one end part that is pi$$ing me off.
When I was referring to tacks I meant tacks that you nail in with a hammer, basically a tiny nail, thumb tacks may work but I would go with a standard tack or small screw as they have a smaller head that would not be intrusive and would fit in the strips width.

It just comes down to how the internals of the lights are arranged inside the wire. There would definitely be space for a nail but its hard knowing for sure where that space is.

If you don't want to use tacs or nails.. maybe Velcro strips .. I would steer clear of blu-tac..
Zip ties is another option..
Post up some more pics and maybe more can provide advice. [emoji41]

Instagram: murph_BTK

That's the solution PP. Tnanks - good job!
Staples, not put through the strip, but across it. The LED strip is 10 mm wide and the crown of a standard 26/6 staple is 13 mm wide. If you have access to a staple gun and heavy duty staples, it would be a piece cake. If not, try using a normal office stapler and staples, with a small hammer or solid pair of pliers to tap them in all the way. You may bend and bugger up a few in the process, but I don't think that would be a real worry somehow.

I use those Velcro strips used for mounting picture frames, for hanging terrarium decorations. They go on and come of relatively easily, and there is no way for the reptile to access the sticky bits. You can also cut them up to make smaller strips.

When I was referring to tacks I meant tacks that you nail in with a hammer, basically a tiny nail, thumb tacks may work but I would go with a standard tack or small screw as they have a smaller head that would not be intrusive and would fit in the strips width.

Ah, right, got it now. I'm sure I've got those tacks somewhere, I'll have a look tomorrow.

Then staples might be the go too, I only have office staples, but could give banging them in go as well.

Two solutions, thanks guys.

That's the solution PP. Tnanks - good job!
Staples, not put through the strip, but across it. The LED strip is 10 mm wide and the crown of a standard 26/6 staple is 13 mm wide. If you have access to a staple gun and heavy duty staples, it would be a piece cake. If not, try using a normal office stapler and staples, with a small hammer or solid pair of pliers to tap them in all the way. You may bend and bugger up a few in the process, but I don't think that would be a real worry somehow.

@Nerdhero ( or anyone else needing:))
Ive got a stapleGUN (not a stapler) that you could either have a lend of or whatever if you didn't have one. :)
[doublepost=1518946263,1518946132][/doublepost]Or the button head thumb tacks would be easy enough to use. No need to go thru the led board, just one either side to sandwich the light in place

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back