Python behavior changes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iguana

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm a little worried about some behavior my diamond python is exhibiting and was wondering if it's normal or caused by something.

He used to be very energetic and curious, almost constantly roaming around his tank. But lately he seems very lethargic, he lays half in and half out of his hides all day, sometimes he moves between them but still doesn't go completely inside. He can fit inside still, but despite me buying a larger hide he doesn't curl up properly.
Furthermore, he's much slower and used to hate his tail being touched but now barely reacts.

I'm worried he's a little constipated since he hasn't pooped since his last meal and his rear end is looking kind of swollen, and despite me soaking him twice he hasn't gone. So for now i've held off on feeding him because i'd prefer him to pass what's already in his guts. Should I just feed him and hope he goes after his next feed?

I'm really confused at this sudden change in behavior, nothing has changed except the fact he hasn't pooped, (which i'm not sure if that could cause this) and it's a little cooler outside.

I've attached a pic of what he does all day.

Should I take him to the vet?

Thanks,

IMG_4561.JPG

Difficult to say if something is wrong from your observations.
My diamonds do go through periods hiding away either during hot spells, after feeding or if they are in slough.

I don't know why people get so concerned when their snakes don't poo, the are not like humans, they don't 'go' every day/2 days or with any regularity, this depends on many factors but if this is a concern take it outside for some exercise in the garden, that movement will normally get them to 'go'.

Does your snake have a hot spot? If so what is the temp and how many hours a day do you provide that hot spot. How often are you feeding, what is the food size. How old is the animal and how big is it? Do you see anything that could indicate an illness or infestation, (swellings, mouth agape, insects, contaminated stools, sloppy stools etc) All probably more important than the observations you have supplied so far.

As always, if concerned enough see a vet. There are no vets that I am aware of on this forum and it would be unethical and near impossible for anyone to diagnose your animals potential illness.

Difficult to say if something is wrong from your observations.
My diamonds do go through periods hiding away either during hot spells, after feeding or if they are in slough.

I don't know why people get so concerned when their snakes don't poo, the are not like humans, they don't 'go' every day/2 days or with any regularity, this depends on many factors but if this is a concern take it outside for some exercise in the garden, that movement will normally get them to 'go'.

Does your snake have a hot spot? If so what is the temp and how many hours a day do you provide that hot spot. How often are you feeding, what is the food size. How old is the animal and how big is it? Do you see anything that could indicate an illness or infestation, (swellings, mouth agape, insects, contaminated stools, sloppy stools etc) All probably more important than the observations you have supplied so far.

As always, if concerned enough see a vet. There are no vets that I am aware of on this forum and it would be unethical and near impossible for anyone to diagnose your animals potential illness.

Thanks for the reply,
I'm just concerned about him not pooping because i've noticed that this behavior started around the time he looked constipated. The area around his cloaca is kinda swollen and firm, I've taken him outside aswell but he did nothing but lay on the grass. He's gone a long time with pooping before, but this behavior is new. I'm not saying that there is a link for sure but it's honestly all I can think of.

The main concern for me is this massive shift in behavior, he doesn't move around as much and doesn't move his back end as much, i'm not sure if there's a link but i'm just looking for probable causes.

He has a 32 hotspot from 8-12, cool side is around 23. He gets a large rat every 10 or so days, and usually passes it about 5 days later, and he's around 2.5-3 years old, he has no other signs of illness/infestation.

I'm not necessarily asking for a diagnosis, I'm aware it would be silly to ask people to diagnose my reptile over the internet. I posted this topic in case anyone else had experienced the same thing and knew what it was. Because i'm clueless as to why he's doing this. And if it's something I should be concerned about.

A large rat every 10 days is probably overkill. (Depending on what size the large rat is)
My sub adults (2-3 years old) are fed 2 weekly every 2 weeks with a 175g rat.
Adults are fed less frequently, every 3-4 weeks.

4 hours of heat should be sufficient but you could up that a little to 5 or 6 hours or even go a little hotter, mine get up to 35-36

A large rat every 10 days is probably overkill. (Depending on what size the large rat is)
My sub adults (2-3 years old) are fed 2 weekly every 2 weeks with a 175g rat.
Adults are fed less frequently, every 3-4 weeks.

4 hours of heat should be sufficient but you could up that a little to 5 or 6 hours or even go a little hotter, mine get up to 35-36

I look to feed him whenever he looks very hungry, but i'll move down to 2 weeks, I don't know the exact weight of the rats but they are a pretty big size.
He's not yet full grown but he'll get fed once a month when he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back