Imagine This in Australia and Across the Entire Globe

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you like the cities to become more green?

• Yes!

Votes: 13 81.3%
  • No!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Would love it, but it'll probably never happen.

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Horrible shots but the sky can be incredible!
This one was taken from my back deck as a storm was rolling in off the bay.
B0C15664-B5F7-493D-9DD6-6342668D7B32.jpeg

This was taken from the train on my commute to work one morning. Even though it’s an awful picture, I couldn’t resist because I’d never seen a sunrise that colour before.
D5F07237-B566-4035-AC60-4DE4A4D4EF50.jpeg

Here's some very old photos of sunsets on the Stirling Ranges I took as a kid. Was still learning proper composition then, haha.

View attachment 323317
View attachment 323318
View attachment 323319
View attachment 323320
View attachment 323321
View attachment 323322

I hope Australia one day becomes as clean as Singapore, litter wise. It's disgusting how people dump their rubbish everywhere. I was at the Mount Barker Hill Lookout the other day and there was broken glass scattered everywhere across the rocks.
nice pics young fella,they might'nt be "properly framed"but they are still great shots you should be proud of

@Aussiepride83
On the galaxy, in camera mode swipe to the left, brings all the camera modes up - click pro.. when you learn what all those extra buttons do and which order to change them the photos you take will be 100% more "professional" .

Definetely takes a great photo in auto tho

@Aussiepride83
On the galaxy, in camera mode swipe to the left, brings all the camera modes up - click pro.. when you learn what all those extra buttons do and which order to change them the photos you take will be 100% more "professional" .

Definetely takes a great photo in auto tho
Cheers for the tip man! I'll give it a crack!

Thank you everyone for the pictures, I see a few 10's. Sometimes its easy to get caught up with the stresses of live. Looking at the sky reminds me to be thankful for all there is.

I was finally able to watch Planet Earth II. It did not disappoint.

While I love David Attenborough and nature documentaries in general, I think I spent most of my time marveling at the cinematography. It was simply stunning. The editors and camera operators did a wonderful job.

Towards the end of the final episode "Cities", there was a sequence that showcased Gardens by the Bay in Singapore and other "greening" projects. To see this taking place gives me hope for the future. While it's not the perfect solution to habitat destruction, it's something. Imagine this taking place in Australian cities, across the globe even. Stark grey concrete jungles transformed into lush green paradises. Tall buildings overflowing with native flora endemic to the area. The cities just might support more wildlife. If nothing else it may clear up the atmosphere, reduce air pollution, facilitate a greater appreciation for the natural world among a population essentially cut off from it, even serve as an insurance for potentially endangered plant species.

a4717b84-c744-11e6-b0e3-e12c29c152ce_1280x720.jpg

120607020736-singapore-transform-environment-horizontal-large-gallery.jpg

6-Gardens-by-the-bay-park-singapore-biomimicry-in-modern-architecture-futuristic-hi-tech-trees.jpg

f5f30df6-3e29-4dcd-aa14-b01aa297f619.jpg

413_413P219_h_a4ppt.jpg

Many will say I'm dreaming, but it's one I hope comes true.

What does everyone think? Would it work? Would you like the cities to become more green?

did you watch on Saturday his new masterpiece Blue Planet 2 it was amazing

Looking at the sky reminds me that we need to take care of everything beneath it.
Doesn't have that effect on Me, causes a great deal of wonder and thought... questions like who else/what else is out there beyond the blue... who else/what else walks among us that we're unaware of. Looking at the sky, whether in broad daylight or under stars, I always have the same 3 words run through my mind... "we're not alone."
Might have something to do with Toowoomba being renowned as the paranormal capital of Austrralia. I have seen some out there stuff lol

There's a good doco on Netflix called Australian Skies for anyone interested in that sort of thing. Done by Damian Nott, one of Australia's leading authorities on UFO's etc.
Here's the trailer.

]@Nero Egernia I'd be interested to see any good photographs of rainbows that you've captured if any? I've snapped a few gems in the past but again, only with mobile phone cams. I'd love to see proper professional photography grade rainbow pics.

No, I don't think I have any rainbow photos. I've only dabbled in landscape photography a little bit, mostly when I was a kid. Most of those photos have been lost.

did you watch on Saturday his new masterpiece Blue Planet 2 it was amazing

I got Planet Earth II on DVD. Good to know that they've done a sequel to the Blue Planet. Looks like I'll have another awesome series to add to my collection.

Looking at the sky reminds me that we need to take care of everything beneath it.

I think that's the ultimate message. The natural world is beautiful and awe-inspiring. We need to protect it before it's lost forever.

Greening cities is one thing but in my opinion you hit the nail on the head in acknowledging that we need to retain what we can of the natural world. It does not matter what it looks like, be it rainforests to heathland scrub to arid hummock grasslands or whatever natural environment, no matter if our eyes find attractive or otherwise.

Greening cities is a positive thing but one needs to be realistic about what can actually be done. Singapore was originally a full-on tropical rainforest ecosystem so they have a plethora of showy plants to choose from in greening their city state. This is not the case with the vast majority of Australian cities. There is also the cost of implementing such a project and the on-going costs of maintaining it. Singapore derives a highly significant portion of its economy from tourism, sufficient to warrant such undertakings. Last year, for example, the number of tourists visiting this independent state was treble the number of local residents.

The thing that really stuck in my mind as truly significant whilst watching the video. was their having planted two million trees. Now that is what I call genuinely greening a city and something Australian cities could emulate to a greater or lesser degree, rather than trying to implement the showy structures designed to attract and hold the interests of tourists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back