The Original Danger Noodle

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with imported tuatara. I don't mind the term as long as people don't pick up baby browns like that bloke did the other day because of it (not saying that was caused by it but just in general)
Edit: Also, like Scutellatus, theres no way I'm gonna name any of my reptiles! Partly because I'm bad at naming things but aside from that whats the point?
Edit #2: Not against naming them, its just not my thing.

Last edited:
I'm with you on that one Paul. Danger noodle, snek and the other terms people use for snake show to me an element of immaturity from the people using them.
I am one of the few who won't name my reptiles, especially snakes, they don't have ears to hear the name and won't come when called so why name them in the first place.
It is just another way we try to humanise our reptile pets. If people want to do it that's fine by me but I can't help but have a little laugh when I hear of named reptiles.

i hate how much we humanize other species, especially reptiles, usually it leads to wrong care and lots of handling/interacting daily at times.

I'm with you on that one Paul. Danger noodle, snek and the other terms people use for snake show to me an element of immaturity from the people using them.
I am one of the few who won't name my reptiles, especially snakes, they don't have ears to hear the name and won't come when called so why name them in the first place.
It is just another way we try to humanise our reptile pets. If people want to do it that's fine by me but I can't help but have a little laugh when I hear of named reptiles.

I can see where your going with this and can understand the general idea but don't you use some form of identification for your animals? If for example a breeder has a clutch, they generally give each a number. This lets them track each specimen easily...so whats the difference between a number and a *name*? Each can *humanised* in its own way. One of my favourite characters is a series of letter and numbers...R2D2. As paul said its a bit general for my liking, hopefully you see this perspective.

Well we do 'name' our reptiles but its not for them and we dont go around the house trying to get them to answer their names, (the thought sends shivers down my spine).
They are named simply as it makes it easier to identify which animal we are talking about about. Certainly not done with any intention of trying to 'humanise' anything.

We use a code system for the hatchies but the numbers closely repeat each year so if we didn't name the animals we could easily have holdbacks with similar codes to hatchies which would be overly confusing.
Damn difficult to name so many animals though so now the eldest granddaughter normally gets the job.

I do get what you are saying, though cataloguing something with a series of letters and numbers isn't really humanising something in my opinion. It is more so for tracking as you say and identification.
Humanising may actually be the wrong word, maybe placing human values is more correct.
I have never thought of naming something that won't respond when called as I see no point in this.

I have kept fish on and off for twenty years and at one point had over thirty tanks setup with over 200 fish in them, none of which were named or even catalogued. Even Oscars who do have a personality and seem to respond to your presence weren't named by me, only because they won't respond to anything verbal. If ever asked what their names were I simply told the people their common and scientific names.

In regard to R2D2 that was probably 'named' (given) a model number rather than a human name, as is the case with C3PO.

There is obviously no harm in naming them and I don't have a problem if people do, each to their own.

I get what your saying and if it wasn't for different feeding regimes/shedding and the such I probably wouldn't have reason to have that 'marker' to identify them from eachother.
I was going to just leave it be a couple of years ago and just use their hatchling number but the granddaughter stepped in and wouldn't allow it so the naming became her 'job' so to speak. I just want some simple way to tell them apart.

I never liked the term "snek". It makes my inner Grammar Nazi cringe.

No names for turtles or hatchling turtles, just a series of colour coded nail polish dots on allocated vertebral scutes on their carapace for ID purposes.
3289-1413001400-bf0b52a9c81c2659c953de2f39fa7fa4.jpg

This system allows me to easily monitor and record their growth weekly.
1393-1365316193-e185e3a68eabd6d1a8f2f79f05a12056.jpg

1395-1365316193-7143731e61102214fc45981bafc3225f.jpg

Those baby turtles, could they get any cuter?

I name my snakes, I've only got 4, but I like to do it for my own sake, they are one species of my many 'pets', but they are snakes first and foremost and are treated as such, and I don't call them my "scale babies". haha.

Getting back to the original post, fascinating to watch how they do that, must be a very efficient species, not something you'd want to step on either.

That’s not at all true. I name my animals out of a fondness for them. That’s about as humanised as they get.
all my reptiles have names,sure some of them don't have ears and wont come when called;But it's my way of knowing which creature is which and my son knows who I am talking about.With multiple creatures from multiple genus how else would you differentiate?
I suppose if you only have 30 BHP's for instance you could just say cage #12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back