First time handling

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirk1701

Reaction score
As you might know I picked up my spotted python a week ago - so today was my first time handling him. I think it went pretty well, he went into strike pose a couple of times and struck once (but without actually biting). After a minute or two he settled, then just used my hands like a climbing frame. He also kept kinda rubbing his head against my fingers (maybe he's going into shed?). All up I probably handled him for 5 minutes.

So now do I try and handle him for a few minutes most days? Except obviously for the day he feeds and the few days after that, and if he is in shed.

He did reject his food on Thursday, but I'm not overly worried about that. He's been out and about more the past 2 days and seems to be comfortable in his environment.

I’d only handle once or twice a week.

And I’d focus on getting him to feed before worrying too much about getting him used to handling.
Any tips for feeding? He seemed vaguely interested last time, he came up and seemed to be scenting the mouse then struck once - seemed to hit the mouse but didn't bite and constrict. Then he lost interest and went back into his hide - I didn't push the issue.

Any tips for feeding? He seemed vaguely interested last time, he came up and seemed to be scenting the mouse then struck once - seemed to hit the mouse but didn't bite and constrict. Then he lost interest and went back into his hide - I didn't push the issue.
Get him excited - rub the mouse all over his body, jiggle it a lot and maybe even tear its nose a bit to make it smell a bit more. Also, make sure the mouse is warm, I usually thaw mine out in hot water to make sure of this.

In my experience, when they strike but don’t hold on it’s defensive. He may not feel comfortable eating when he can see a human waiting to eat him.

To begin with I’d leave the prey item in the enclosure overnight to see if he’ll take it when you’re not around. Failing that, you could brain the mouse (poke small holes in its head to stimulate bleeding) as the smell of blood is sometimes enticing enough to make them eat.

If that doesn’t work, then I find tapping the mouse on the tail end of the snake will sometimes make them whip around and grab hold.

Get him excited - rub the mouse all over his body, jiggle it a lot and maybe even tear its nose a bit to make it smell a bit more. Also, make sure the mouse is warm, I usually thaw mine out in hot water to make sure of this.
So all that movement won't freak him out?

Is it too soon to try again tonight? He was meant to feed Thursday - but I would actually like to feed on a different day, Thursdays aren't convenient because I have roller derby training till 9
[doublepost=1519595160,1519595072][/doublepost]
In my experience, when they strike but don’t hold on it’s defensive. He may not feel comfortable eating when he can see a human waiting to eat him.

To begin with I’d leave the prey item in the enclosure overnight to see if he’ll take it when you’re not around. Failing that, you could brain the mouse (poke small holes in its head to stimulate bleeding) as the smell of blood is sometimes enticing enough to make them eat.

If that doesn’t work, then I find tapping the mouse on the tail end of the snake will sometimes make them whip around and grab hold.
I thought they would only eat the prey if it was warm? How do you ensure it remains warm overnight?

Is it too soon to try again tonight? He was meant to feed Thursday - but I would actually like to feed on a different day, Thursdays aren't convenient because I have roller derby training till 9
It shouldn't. The aim isn't to annoy him, only to get him excited so don't violently thrash it around or anything.
I would wait at least a week before trying to feed him again.

[doublepost=1519595160,1519595072][/doublepost]
I thought they would only eat the prey if it was warm? How do you ensure it remains warm overnight?
I’d leave him for a few nights and try again, just to ensure he settles after the first try.

You would warm/defrost the mouse as normal and then just place it in the enclosure. It will stay warm enough for him to eat it but ensure you remove it in the morning if he hasn’t as it won’t keep for too long. Unless the enclosure is freezing, it will be fine at room temp.

Make sure it's warm enough, thawing in a glass of warm tapwater hasn't failed me yet, only offer food after dusk.

It shouldn't. The aim isn't to annoy him, only to get him excited so don't violently thrash it around or anything.
I would wait at least a week before trying to feed him again.

I’d leave him for a few nights and try again, just to ensure he settles after the first try.

You would warm/defrost the mouse as normal and then just place it in the enclosure. It will stay warm enough for him to eat it but ensure you remove it in the morning if he hasn’t as it won’t keep for too long. Unless the enclosure is freezing, it will be fine at room temp.

Make sure it's warm enough, thawing in a glass of warm tapwater hasn't failed me yet, only offer food after dusk.

Thanks guys, will try again on Wednesday
[doublepost=1519761870,1519598962][/doublepost]

Thankyou so much for this advice. I left a defrosted mouse in his enclosure last night and its gone this morning, I'm pretty sure I could hear him come get it about 5 minutes after I turned the lights off.

Thanks guys, will try again on Wednesday
[doublepost=1519761870,1519598962][/doublepost]
Thankyou so much for this advice. I left a defrosted mouse in his enclosure last night and its gone this morning, I'm pretty sure I could hear him come get it about 5 minutes after I turned the lights off.
Wonderful. :)

Is it normal for him to hide himself away after a meal? I didn’t spot him out an about last night at all (i tend to at least get a glimpse of him). He’s been in his warm hide since feeding (as far as I can tell anyways, I don’t know if he comes out while I’m at work).

I figured he’s probably just digesting but wanted to check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it normal for him to hide himself away after a meal? I didn’t spot him out an about last night at all (i tend to at least get a glimpse of him). He’s been in his warm hide since feeding (as far as I can tell anyways, I don’t know if he comes out while I’m at work).

I figured he’s probably just digesting but wanted to check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes
It also can means they’re “scared” like someone coming out of their room for food then running back to their room and closing the door

Yes
It also can means they’re “scared” like someone coming out of their room for food then running back to their room and closing the door
Cool thanks. I don't think he is scared, I spotted him just before I raced off to work. He stuck his head out of the hide as I walked into the room, regarded me for a few moments before laying his head down sticking out of the hide. Didn't appear to be overly bothered by my presence or like he needed to hide away, he seemed pretty chill.

Yes
It is definitely not scared. If that was the case it most probably wouldn't have eaten.
Hiding after a meal is natural instinct. They are fat and heavy once fed and can't slither away at speed to find cover, the only option is to regurgitate to regain their agility, hiding is a much better option.

Your python is nocturnal, completely normal to hide away during the day. I only ever seen mine actively moving in the daylight hours to grab a drink of water, change hides due to temp preference or because they've soiled their enclosure and are looking for a clean spot to coil up. Sometimes shedding too but for the most part it's completely normal to be hidden away and inactive during the daylight hours and especially after a feed... snakes switch to digestion mode and they basically ramp up their metabolic rate in the engine room to get that meal processed as quickly as possible. No need to be out exploring the neighbourhood with a full belly, it makes them vulnerable.

It is definitely not scared. If that was the case it most probably wouldn't have eaten.
Hiding after a meal is natural instinct. They are fat and heavy once fed and can't slither away at speed to find cover, the only option is to regurgitate to regain their agility, hiding is a much better option.
I read it as, took it back to its hide to eat rather then eat where it’s been fed

Ooh, exciting isn't it? How did it go?
Pretty good, he went into a bit of a strike pose when I took a photo of him (hence why I only got one pic) but generally seemed pretty content to chill around my wrist.
[doublepost=1520385732,1520304561][/doublepost]He took his second feed with me last night, as last time I left the mouse in the enclosure overnight. I was a bit concerned as he hadn't been out an about as much but the mouse was gone this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back