Breeding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Freckle1

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hey guys can anyone point me in the right direction in finding a good breeding article for pythons mainly carpets and Antaresia. Mostly would like to know weights for male/ female. What months most people start introducing them. Most stuff I find on the net is American and not very helpful

The book YT has posted is excellent.
This one was my mainstay in the early days, it does cover most of the Australian species as well as exotic's and it has some good information on egg development etc. An all round good to have in the collection book.

upload_2018-2-27_14-59-57.jpeg

YT already mentioned Doc Rock at Southern Cross. Did you try to google that yet?

What they can’t copy a books context into a care sheet?

Breeding pythons is not a simple thing and should not be considered without a lot of research, it certainly can't be condensed into a "care sheet"
At the minimum you should thoroughly read the book I recommended and the python breeding info from Doc Rock, http://www.southernxreptiles.com.
In the interests of the animals and the babies produced if you are not prepared to invest that much effort you should not be doing it.

Maybe you could do that based upon your findings from your breeding experience in time to come.
You need to see that there are as many different successful methods as there are unsuccessful. And what works one year might not work the next. Why some females produce a perfect clutch one year and slugs the next 3. So so many thing you need to read & understand that will save you lots of time and stress when things don't go quite as you expected.

why can't young people read some books to learn what they need to learn? You can't get years of detailed information in a few pages.If you want to be a good breeder you need detailed info not just a few notes,reptile breeding is not like letting a couple of dogs go for it.

Just because I’m asking if there’s information on the internet makes me young? It’s 10x easier to click on a URL and find websites then it is to pay for and order a book.
What’s to say what I read on the internet is a few pages?

That’s why I was asking if anyone had any good information that they have found on the web.

Just because I’m asking if there’s information on the internet makes me young? It’s 10x easier to click on a URL and find websites then it is to pay for and order a book.
What’s to say what I read on the internet is a few pages?
You might not be young but it is a worrying trend for young people to want everything now,without work,without study and without trying.
I'd rather have the book so I can go back and re-read something rather than try and remember some URL.

If you don't mind me asking...What's your purpose for wanting to breed either of the species? If you're not aware there is already an oversupply in the market and as a result off spring can be difficult to pass on especially if one is not a recognised breeder.

It you intend to proceed then it wouldn't hurt to take the advice given and purchase either or both the books mentioned. As stated if you do they will always be on hand for future reference. If you don't want to by any of the books recommended just google "breeding carpet pythons" and "breeding antaresia pythons". I just did and found a plethora of information relating to breeding both species conducive to Australian conditions.

Have a bit of fun and spend some time using this site to find out first hand experiences related to breeding.

It is after all one of the reasons the site exists.

You'll also read first hand experiences of those trying to sell offspring, and the difficulty of this when breeding the ' less desirable species ' as has been mentioned above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back