Stimson Escape

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In the meantime i would be going over her current enclosure to ensure its escape proof..
I'd be leaving the enclosure as is at the moment, just in-case it decides to get back in on its own. :p Don't wanna lock it out so to speak. LOL
[doublepost=1519884420,1519884004][/doublepost]I remember about 3 years ago now I was cleaning my 3x2x2 Reptile One arboreal tree frog enclosure... I had removed the sliding glass doors and wiped them totally clean of frog prints (I'm totally OCD about that) and they're always the last thing to go back on once the enclosure has been stripped, cleaned and reassembled and the frogs put back in. Anyways.. this one weekend I got distracted by something and never did put the doors back on, it'd have been about 4pm... I went about my Sunday evening as normal.... The next morning at 2:30am I was up for work and I turned the kitchen and living room lights on and was taking a moment to get my bearings and my eyes landed on the frog tank and I thought "yeah, I really cleaned those doors good, they still look amazing..." then I was like... Huh, how come I can't see any reflection in those doors!! Walked over and there the doors were leaning against the stand for the tank... I instantly thought... Oh damn... my 6 GTF's are going to be all over the house by now! They've had a whole night to go where they want! I stuck my head inside the enclosure and started moving things around and unbelievably all 6 were still in the tank... Whether they left and had a party in the kitchen sink and returned before I got up, I'll never know.

.....plus that plastic door is so thin you might as well use newspaper to keep your python inside.Because it is so thin it is flexible and the python is strong enough to push past.You REALLY need to buy a real reptile enclosure or it will escape again and again every time you find it.

What I want to know is what’s holding the door up? It looks like a piece of string or something :p.

Without being harsh I think you should dump that, buy a proper enclosure, even flat-pack (if you want the joy of putting it together yourself) and then work on making an even better one while your baby is in a secure enclosure!

Edit:nope.. it’s an elastic band. There’s your escape method. A light push on the door and it’s out, be lucky it didn’t get pinched on the wooden edge and the door

Thank you for your positive @Murph_BTK

@Aussiepride83 I have actually left the door open in case he does happen to decide to go back inside.

I have decided to look for a proper reptile cage, did not realise the little guy would be so strong. Any places you guys would recommend getting a cheaper reptile cage as they seem to pretty pricey brand new?

@Aussiepride83 I have actually left the door open in case he does happen to decide to go back inside.

I have decided to look for a proper reptile cage, did not realise the little guy would be so strong. Any places you guys would recommend getting a cheaper reptile cage as they seem to pretty pricey brand new?
Your best bet is to look at maverick enclosures on google or buy a 2nd hand enclosure and give it the best clean you have ever given anything before (for safety measures) you can look up like “reptile bay enclosures” on Facebook and google, should be around 150$ for a small one

Depends on if you want a 'fancy' enclosure or just a plastic tub. Personally I would go with a plastic tub with a heat mat/cord. You can get cheap thermostats on ebay (around $20 if not cheeper, and I assume you have one for your light anyway), heat cords or mats for $10-20 and the tub for even less.

seeing as he/she is so small just get a click clack setup for now,all you need is a heat cord.This will do while you hunt for a second hand enclosure on crackbook or ebay etc.You should be able to pick up something for about $100,maybe less.Sometimes you see things really cheap with all the accessories included

I'm assuming you've had no luck in finding the little python yet? You'll literally have to strip the house to find it, it could be anywhere.

Maybe have a an open container with a hide over a regulated heat mat and leave a mouse inside for it centre of the room? It might come for a meal and hide after.

Hope you find the little thing.

Just an update:

So far the only sign of life I've gotten from him is a trail of some of my things on the floor leading to a water bowl I left out, unfortunately, he didn't make a trail on his way away from the water bowl.

I have offered him a mouse about every second day inside a drink bottle to see if he will take but nothing so far.

Don't panic yet ,they usually turn up very close to where they disappeared.We had a Darwin vanish and my son had written it off as lost.
2 weeks later I heard a crashing sound in his room and went to look....there was the Darwin less than 2 metres from his house but we had looked "everywhere" and this was a 6' snake not a little baby

I know it's been mentioned earlier but putting flower around strategic areas is a good idea and you can work out from any tracks where it is moving around and place a heat source and food in vicinity (try a live mouse in a cage) then inspect with a torch at night.

Set up a GoPro camera or surveillance camera. I've got Swann infrared cams in my reptile room and last night (upon reviewing the night's footage this morning) I busted a rogue mouse at 11:18pm trying to get in with my super mice. It's most likely an escaped fancy mouse from when I was breeding them as on the camera it didn't show up as a uniform grey or dark colour but rather, patchy and multi-coloured like a domestic mouse. I have set 4 mouse snap traps baited with peanut butter to try and catch this rogue tonight. Will be having a stakeout in my home office tonight with a thermos full of coffe and watching my cam monitors like a hawk.

I am really hoping it is just the one individual!
[doublepost=1520682833,1520643192][/doublepost]Success already! It's definitely not one of mine that escaped, this thing is a wild mouse.
20180310_214109.jpg 20180310_214722.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back