When will I know that my snake is going to shed?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crüzz

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I've had my Albino Darwin for over 1.5 months now. I bought him when he was a just over a year old. The carer said he could shed in 3-4 weeks time. I'm wondering when he would or should shed, also how can I spot him beginning the shed cycle? Thanks.

As already said they discolour and fade to a really off colour and there eyes go milky,after about a week they seem to go a normal colour and then shed 3-4days later,best to increase the humidity a bit when you first notice them too.most of mine shed every 5-6weeks,most go off the food too,some don’t tho but I never attempt to feed mine when there in shed personally

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albinos can be tricky to notice if they are going into shed, giving a bigger meal will often trigger a shed cycle starting to :)

With albinos you may notice there belly goes more pink in colour and my girls eyes don’t go milky in colour like my other snakes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

As said, it’s very hard to notice due to albinos looking different in every single light source

Here’s a couple pictures I took before and after (unknowing she was going to shed)
I don’t think there’s a way to know when they start the cycle besides maybe behaviour change

808D5932-B6EB-419D-8555-2975188102A4.jpeg

423689B7-E961-4DF6-8C75-E9E79C8AAE31.jpeg

Usually they will stop feeding (not always) and hide away prior to shedding. Not obvious from the eyes as the skin is almost transparent.
Easy to see with really young ones (photos) as they go dull and wrinkly but yearlings just loose their subtle colours. How often are you feeding it and what size mice/rats? 1.5 plus months is a bit long if it is being fed regularly.
IMG_4918.jpg IMG_5058.jpg

Usually they will stop feeding (not always) and hide away prior to shedding. Not obvious from the eyes as the skin is almost transparent.
Easy to see with really young ones (photos) as they go dull and wrinkly but yearlings just loose their subtle colours. How often are you feeding it and what size mice/rats? 1.5 plus months is a bit long if it is being fed regularly.
View attachment 323284 View attachment 323285

I've been feeding him 1 fuzzy mice a week. Unsure about size, however.

Unless it’s very undersized as a yearling it should be eating at least adult mice or equivilent rats, my month old hatchlings are eating fuzzy mice. As a yearling it needs much more calcium than in fuzzy mice and lack of condition will cause shedding problems

Unless it’s very undersized as a yearling it should be eating at least adult mice or equivilent rats, my month old hatchlings are eating fuzzy mice. As a yearling it needs much more calcium than in fuzzy mice and lack of condition will cause shedding problems

Oh, ok. Thanks for your help.

I personally struggle to notice the colour changes in my guys. Usually the only physical sign i notice is the cloudy eyes and by that stage they are obviously deep in shed.

One thing mine do to let me know a bit earlier is to hide away. If i havent seen them cruising around the enclosure for 3+ days (and they arent digesting) then i generally assume they are a week out from shed.

Though as yellowtail suggested it does seem like he is not eating enough. Could you provide pictures to help gauge size, or do you know its weight?

I personally struggle to notice the colour changes in my guys. Usually the only physical sign i notice is the cloudy eyes and by that stage they are obviously deep in shed.

One thing mine do to let me know a bit earlier is to hide away. If i havent seen them cruising around the enclosure for 3+ days (and they arent digesting) then i generally assume they are a week out from shed.

Though as yellowtail suggested it does seem like he is not eating enough. Could you provide pictures to help gauge size, or do you know its weight?

Sorry for the late reply. Been busy with school etc. I don't know either but I've begun feeding him hooper mice and you can see the bulge in his belly.

Wait to see when the stripper pole appears and the music starts rofls

Great accurate advice from everyone else, no point me repeating it.

Will say, if you manage to see snake getting his gear off from very beginning of process, it is fascinating.

Fresh threads for my green tree.. the humidity has been on point these past few months ..
c93df2c81c2d3ef3bff3114e116ca7c3.jpg
bd7073d8d0c77fa6f5391855f7dd61dc.jpg

Instagram: murph_BTK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back