Newbie Feeder

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Shouldn't have tried during the day. That's like throwing money away. I did this when I got my first python, burned through 10 fuzzies in a fortnight with no success, was mega annoyed but it was all my fault. Then I started breeding my own mice so I'd never have to buy them again. Lol

Your python is nocturnal, don't attempt to feed it in the day at all, not until it's regularly smashing its food.

Snakes are deaf, wouldn't have heard the commotion with your wife and kids.

It didn’t help that my wife and kids decided to have a screaming match right when I was trying.

Yes mate noise can be a major influence. While they don't hear as such the vibrations caused are a distraction. Its common that animals kept in a room where loud music can be heard will be highly difficult to feed.

Try feeding at different times......night is often better but not always successful. Snakes will often feed during the day.

I wasn’t paying attention, but does he come out at night in search of food or just curls up somewhere else?

Got a massive JBL Soundbar in my reptile room and it cracks!! Never has it bothered my snakes, turtles, birds or mice in the room.

Got a massive JBL Soundbar in my reptile room and it cracks!! Never has it bothered my snakes, turtles, birds or mice in the room.

Its not just about your experiences is it Kev. There are millions of other people keeping reptiles over the globe and there are lots of reports of animals going off food for extended periods in close proximity to loud noise. It also affects many animals during breeding season. I may never of had an issue but it doesn't mean the problem doesn't exist. I don't seem to have a problem getting hatchling BHP's to eat but it doesn't mean that the breeders that do have a problem are wrong. Just that some animals surprisingly are different and different things affect them in different ways.

Its not just about your experiences is it Kev. There are millions of other people keeping reptiles over the globe and there are lots of reports of animals going off food for extended periods in close proximity to loud noise. It also affects many animals during breeding season. I may never of had an issue but it doesn't mean the problem doesn't exist. I don't seem to have a problem getting hatchling BHP's to eat but it doesn't mean that the breeders that do have a problem are wrong. Just that some animals surprisingly are different and different things affect them in different ways.
Oh no I wasn't by any means suggesting what you said was bull, was just saying it hasn't caused any problems for me. All good.

While it may not seem to bother the turtles they definitely would be hearing it. Ever stuck your head under the water in a bathtub and hit the side of the bath? Bass from the speaker would be doing the same thing to their fishtank.

While it may not seem to bother the turtles they definitely would be hearing it. Ever stuck your head under the water in a bathtub and hit the side of the bath? Bass from the speaker would be doing the same thing to their fishtank.
Never once suggested they can't hear It, I said it doesn't bother them. Have spent half my life under water with turtles... well aware of how sound travels under water.
[doublepost=1520073465,1520071590][/doublepost]@Matt and Suz - Literally Just now...

Step 1.
20180303_202325.jpg

Step 2.
20180303_202630.jpg

Step 3.
20180303_202749.jpg

Can you post up a pic of your setup and one of the snake? That would help.

Also where is your setup located? I've got my current tub quite high (about eye level) , in a low traffic area. I cover one corner with a tea towel, as it's a largish tub for my very small banded pygmy python.
Personally I'd just be leaving it for awhile before trying to feed again (with some assistance hopefully, either a member from here, or what about the breeder?)

It might be stressed, as you've only had it a couple of weeks and have been trying all sorts of feeding methods, also trying to feed for 20 minutes will stress the snake out (I'm not blaming you at all, your new to snakes, you've been sold a hatchling that is too young and mightn't have fed yet, which is totally irresponsible of the seller)

I'd also make a new post (put it in General Discussion or Herp Help) asking for members in your area. If you put in the title (Anyone close to Redland bay, need help) or something similar, that would be the way to find members in your area. Good luck!

I have a gent from here coming over this afternoon to have a look and give me some pointers and hopefully get the little bugger feeding. Such an awesome comunity of people. I am so glad I joined. I was hesitant at first to put a post on here but I am so glad i did. Just a wealth of knowledge and such an amazing response.

Cheers, Matt.

Great news Matt, this is an awesome place, totally agree. Let us know how you get on, I'd be interested to hear any updates.

Once you nail getting your python taking that first feed, it's all downhill from there!

Well unfortunately we still didn't get the little bugger to feed but I did get to pick Rob's brain about a number of things. We have decided to leave her/him for a little while and try again in a couple of weeks. Rob assured me the condition of this little rat bag is still good so this has put my mind at ease. I managed to pick up a couple of techniques as well so we will see what happens.

Thanks again everyone and a big thanks to Rob for your help mate. I really do appreciate it.

Cheers, Matt.

Great guy rob! :) glad it’s all good and lil guy is healthy

Still good news though, it's great to have someone who can show you a few things/tips as well as putting your mind at ease. Onya Rob.

It is great see you getting hands-on help. Good onya Rob! That sort of active assistance and reassurance really does make a huge difference to worried newbies.

Am glad you have decided to give the feeding attempts a break for a while. As Jamie pointed out, all the continuing attempts and disturbance can set up a negative reaction to offering food. So best to leave be for a little while.

There are a couple of points that I am not sure were made clearly enough, so forgive me if I am going over old ground. You could see in the video that the feeder mouse was offered head first in a horizontal position. This is achieved either holding the mouse by the spine or the rear (and definitely NOT by the tail for establishing feeding). The rodent is presented in front of the snake, within easy striking distance. Do NOT tap the nose of the snake with the food item, especially with nervous animals. This may result in defensive strikes and will rarely result in a feeding response - it is almost always counter-productive. If the snake does not strike readily, then try gently wiggling the rodent. Some snakes may require that the prey item first be gently rubbed along the neck (just behind the head) back and forwards a couple of times and then immediately presenting in front of them.

Wiggling the prey item is an art in itself. I think this one of the things Sdaji was referring to when he stated “I was instinctively using more technique than I realised”. If this ability does not come naturally, it can be easily produced by utilising a 2 foot flexible ‘claw pick up tool’ from Super Cheap Autos for $6 – see photo of below. . They still give you good control over where you position the feeder rodent but are very easy to generate a little bit of a wobble in that definitely seems to attract snakes’ attention.
upload_2018-3-6_15-13-4.png

I wish you well with the next feeding attempt.

You could see in the video that the feeder mouse was offered head first in a horizontal position. This is achieved either holding the mouse by the spine or the rear (and definitely NOT by the tail

Agree with this 100% I've had this argument with someone before, no snake wants to see a dead mouse swinging vertically and unnaturally like a pendulum from its tail. Too easy for the snake to miss as well. I'll only ever offer my rodents head first and horizontally by holding them by the spine behind the shoulders. Works a treat. Tearing the skin on the nose is almost always enough to entice a strike, I rarely ever have to resort to wiggling. I do however always make a point of grabbing the rodent by the tail and wiggling it to immitate life AFTER the stike has occurred. The python commits more to coiling it up and it just keeps things realistic.

That's awesome, thanks guys. I feel a lot less stressed now and I am excited for my next attempt. I will definitely keep you all posted.

Cheers
[doublepost=1520717179,1520330689][/doublepost]Hi All, well my little mate has a big bulge in his tummy this morning. I thought I would give it another try and it showed the most amount of interest yet but still didn’t take it. I had a fuzzie rat that Rob left and a fuzzy mouse. I scented them with chook feathers in their mouths. He would just stare at them but was very interested. I left them both in the tub over night one inside each hide.

I got up in the morning to remove them and he had taken the fuzzy rat. I was amazed as it was quite big. I am stoked that he now has a belly full and I hope this is a good step in the right direction. I am off to get some fuzzy rats today. Hopefully I can get some small ones.

Thanks everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back