HELP. possibly mouth rot or RI?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Willl

Reaction score
I just did my first mouth check of my new bredli carpet python and i’m not sure if it looks a bit off. is it normal for it to be that pale, black sort of colour? i believe that carpet pythons do have darker mouths but i’m not sure about this, any help is appreciated, thanks :). (i’m also worried about that string of mucus/spit at the back of her mouth, is that normal or something of concern?)

9FC21C22-D0A5-4D07-9625-261640E71B44.png

No sign of anything wrong in that picture.
Do your self a favour and type mouth rot into a google search then click on images.

Some of them are not very pretty but you will get the idea.

I'm wondering why, in the absence of any visible signs or symptoms, you would do a "mouth check?"

Jamie
I decided to do a check because i heard a slight whistle/wheeze when she exhaled with force, but it may have just been the air rushing out faster making the sound, i decided to do a mouth check anyway and wasn't sure if anyone with more experience would be able to see anything that could be possibly wrong.

Pythons in extreme good health can make all sorts of wheezing, popping and hissing sounds from time to time. Usually the first sign of RI or mouthrot is a tendency not to coil as neatly as usual, (because the lung is compromised), reduced tongue flicking with the tips often stuck together, or a buildup of cheesy matter on the lips or gums, and especially a reluctance to eat. Occasionally they will elevate the head for long periods of time (this is not the same as the "telescoping" they do when you put them out on the lawn for a while). You will cause unnecessary stress to the animal forcing the mouth open like that, and may cause injury to delicate teeth and gums, especially as it seems you may not really know what you are looking for, or at.

Jamie

Pythons in extreme good health can make all sorts of wheezing, popping and hissing sounds from time to time. Usually the first sign of RI or mouthrot is a tendency not to coil as neatly as usual, (because the lung is compromised), reduced tongue flicking with the tips often stuck together, or a buildup of cheesy matter on the lips or gums, and especially a reluctance to eat. Occasionally they will elevate the head for long periods of time (this is not the same as the "telescoping" they do when you put them out on the lawn for a while). You will cause unnecessary stress to the animal forcing the mouth open like that, and may cause injury to delicate teeth and gums, especially as it seems you may not really know what you are looking for, or at.

Jamie
thank you, she seems to be fine then, mustve been paranoid. I don't plan on forcing her mouth open again anytime soon.

Well if nothing else, it's a great look at the pointy end of a python. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back