EBay UVB reptile bulbs

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandon

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey, was just wondering if anyone has tried these UVB bulbs from EBay. If so are they any good. I usually buy exoterra UVB 100 bulbs but they cost about $40 so was looking for a cheaper option as these are only $15. Thanks.
9df27d1bbbee10866dcd639beb2f3453.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I don't use UV so might be unfair of me to comment but I hear that compact globes are quite poor when compared to batten UV globes.
I would suggest getting a couple and just measure the UV output and see how they compare for output & life against the exoterra bulbs.

I wouldn't waste the time or $$$ with a compact spiral type uvb bulb.

What specific reptile are you wanting the UVB lamp for?

Is there any evidence that this sort of lighting has any benefit?

I don't use UV so might be unfair of me to comment but I hear that compact globes are quite poor when compared to batten UV globes.
I would suggest getting a couple and just measure the UV output and see how they compare for output & life against the exoterra bulbs.
Yes I have herd a lot of people saying the same but because the way my tank is designed it is just a lot easier to use compact globes. I might do that and test them. Thanks.
[doublepost=1520934650,1520934598][/doublepost]
I wouldn't waste the time or $$$ with a compact spiral type uvb bulb.

What specific reptile are you wanting the UVB lamp for?
What is the main difference? and Carpet python and eastern water dragons.

Agreed, UV isn't necessary for carpets. Or at least there is no evidence for it benefiting them. I like to take my animals out in the sun once or twice a week though just in case they do benefit from it (also so that they can explore a bit)

Hi Brandon,

Carpets don't really need UVB but these would be fine if you want to go down that path. My wife also uses them for her juvenile water dragons. Been using them since they were hatchlings and they're going gangbusters without any problems .

George.

I am gonna say crap. If you tested them with a solarmeter 6.5 you will most likely find them pretty low to start with and rapidly deteriorate to 0 by a couple of weeks at best.

As a starting point I would say start at the link below, learn to read iso irradiance charts of bulbs, a solarmeter 6.5 is a great tool and worth the cost and that there isnt a one bulb solution to all reptile lighting. Providing uvb is just one aspect.

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...FjAAegQICRAB&usg=AOvVaw08ykyY4BE68fAlXSMAmLTA

UV isn't going to add any value to the carpet python in my opinion.
Yeah I know a lot of people have said that, but I've also read that it can be beneficial so ill rather give it even though it isn't needed then not give it and it be needed. if that makes sense
[doublepost=1521013340,1521013303][/doublepost]
Agreed, UV isn't necessary for carpets. Or at least there is no evidence for it benefiting them. I like to take my animals out in the sun once or twice a week though just in case they do benefit from it (also so that they can explore a bit)
Yes, I also give mine about 2 hours of natural sun a week.
[doublepost=1521013388][/doublepost]
Hi Brandon,

Carpets don't really need UVB but these would be fine if you want to go down that path. My wife also uses them for her juvenile water dragons. Been using them since they were hatchlings and they're going gangbusters without any problems .

George.
Uses the uvb bulbs from eBay?
[doublepost=1521013423][/doublepost]
I am gonna say crap. If you tested them with a solarmeter 6.5 you will most likely find them pretty low to start with and rapidly deteriorate to 0 by a couple of weeks at best.

As a starting point I would say start at the link below, learn to read iso irradiance charts of bulbs, a solarmeter 6.5 is a great tool and worth the cost and that there isnt a one bulb solution to all reptile lighting. Providing uvb is just one aspect.

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...FjAAegQICRAB&usg=AOvVaw08ykyY4BE68fAlXSMAmLTA
Thanks heaps ill have a look at that

I know Arcadia makes good UV bulbs for a decent price, I got a 10% for something like $25
It's compact though, but I wasn't aware that they aren't that good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back