Newbie Feeder

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok thanks very much. I did read that it should be left alone for a while but i was also concerned as I am unsure of the last time it ate if it has at all. I will leave it for a few days and see what happens. I did just drop a pinky in but I will pull it out in the morning if still there and then leave it. Again thank you all so much for your advice. Cheers
hi
im a complete newbie to reptiles, my son just got a childrens hatchy. i remember the lady at the shop specifically saying not to thaw the pinkies in warm water (she rekons it changes the smell). im the first to admit, i know nothing, but if the shop yours came from thawed the pinkies naturally maybe you should try that. i know with most animals you try to keep the diet the same as it has been with the breeder, shop previous owner to reduce stress.
this is just a suggestion and im sure plenty of people thaw pinkies in warm water, i just remember the shop saying to do it the same way they did to reduce changes to the animal.
best o luck

Gday, thanks for your reply. Sorry I didn’t get a notification for your comment.

I have been defrosting the mice in a snappy bag and then put it in the water. At least this way it holds the scent better.

Although he is not taking the mouse from the tongs I am stoked he is eating. I just leave the mouse in the hide and it was gone after about 30min last night. Still going strong. I did think it was going to shed as his/her eyes went cloudy but now they are back to normal. A little strange but still had a feed so all good.

Cheers

Gday, thanks for your reply. Sorry I didn’t get a notification for your comment.

I have been defrosting the mice in a snappy bag and then put it in the water. At least this way it holds the scent better.

Although he is not taking the mouse from the tongs I am stoked he is eating. I just leave the mouse in the hide and it was gone after about 30min last night. Still going strong. I did think it was going to shed as his/her eyes went cloudy but now they are back to normal. A little strange but still had a feed so all good.

Cheers
When it’s eyes go back to normal it means it’s going to shed in the next few days - a week

Usually shed 3 or 4 days after clearing up. Putting the food item directly in water shouldn't affect the appeal of the food - snakes have a very keen sense of smell, and the scent won't be rinsed away in water. I once had 3 Boas in my workshop at the WA Museum, and although the freezer was about 12m from their enclosure, within 5 minutes of my removing their rats from the freezer (and leaving them on the freezer lid) the snakes would sense they were going to be fed and become quite active.

Jamie

Usually shed 3 or 4 days after clearing up. Putting the food item directly in water shouldn't affect the appeal of the food - snakes have a very keen sense of smell, and the scent won't be rinsed away in water. I once had 3 Boas in my workshop at the WA Museum, and although the freezer was about 12m from their enclosure, within 5 minutes of my removing their rats from the freezer (and leaving them on the freezer lid) the snakes would sense they were going to be fed and become quite active.

Jamie
While the water wouldn't remove all of the scent, it definitely would reduce it, especially on pinkies due the lack of hair to retain scent. Another thing that may upset a problem feeder if the prey is defrosted in water without a bag is the chlorine/flouride in treated water, this may overide the scent of a small prey item and confuse the snake.

Defrosting straight in water is the method I use with my 2 pythons and neither have ever missed a feed since I started doing it that way. Works a treat. They both smash their feeders as soon as they're presented. I tried doing it in the clip-seal bag a couple of times, didn't work for me... Could never get the temp right and was too much stuffing around, had multiple feeds rejected that way, wouldn't go back to doing it like that now. Straight in the hot tap water they go.

Straight from the freezer into a glass of warm-hot tap water.
20180303_202325.jpg

5 mins later, completely thawed and thoroughly (not completely) dried with paper towel.
20180303_202630.jpg

Offer horizontally, head first with feeding tongs and Bob's your mum's brother. ;)
Spotted python cuddles.
20180303_202749.jpg

Hi everyone. I have been watching this feed for a little while.. Great q. And a. So thank you very much. Quick question. You mention feeding.. A lot of sites say not to handle you snake for up to a few days after it eats. Then others are saying after they eat. Then dedicate it is OK to handle them. After my hatching eats. How long should I leave him/her so it's food can digest properly before handling again. Just want the beat for my little guy
[doublepost=1528758407,1528757986][/doublepost]And wow sorry for the spelling haha

2-3days
[doublepost=1528778981,1528778934][/doublepost]
Hi everyone. I have been watching this feed for a little while.. Great q. And a. So thank you very much. Quick question. You mention feeding.. A lot of sites say not to handle you snake for up to a few days after it eats. Then others are saying after they eat. Then dedicate it is OK to handle them. After my hatching eats. How long should I leave him/her so it's food can digest properly before handling again. Just want the beat for my little guy
[doublepost=1528758407,1528757986][/doublepost]And wow sorry for the spelling haha

Hi All, I am absolutely loving our new family member and it is so interesting watching them grow and shed etc. We have been feeding very well until lately with the colder temps. But that was to be expected.

I have been feeding every 4-5 days on hopper mice and our python has been taking them well. I was told to get him on to rats ASAP as they are difficult to convert later. Obviously rats are a lot bigger than mice so it makes sense. I have tried a couple of times but he’s just not interested. Do you guys have any tips for transferring over?

Thanks

While the water wouldn't remove all of the scent, it definitely would reduce it, especially on pinkies due the lack of hair to retain scent. Another thing that may upset a problem feeder if the prey is defrosted in water without a bag is the chlorine/flouride in treated water, this may overide the scent of a small prey item and confuse the snake.
I never worried about the chlorine/fluoride smell effect but after my recent move to a property without town water I have noticed a significant improvement with a few difficult feeder hatchlings. They are now enthusiastic feeders and the only thing that has changed is the water. It maybe a coincidence as they all come good in time anyway but I have 4 very timid albino Darwins that were really difficult and all fed easily from the first attempt.

@Yellowtail
This season should be interesting then. Hopefully for your ease of feeding I am on the money.
It may just be this beautiful South-East weather they are liking though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back