Snake going crazy again

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheap ones from Bunnings. About $5 each
Thanks for the help, I’ll get one ASAP, I’m also planning on getting a “proper” enclosure for all my snakes getting bays for them all 4high with a secret coming when I get it all set up.

For now I’m going to get a timer and run it during sunny hours, about 6-6 and off over night, and slowly decrease it to like 11-4~ At 33-35° on top of substrate. Going to also get a hide with a base so she can’t dig during her nights

Does this sound about right

Thanks for the help, I’ll get one ASAP, I’m also planning on getting a “proper” enclosure for all my snakes getting bays for them all 4high with a secret coming when I get it all set up.

For now I’m going to get a timer and run it during sunny hours, about 6-6 and off over night, and slowly decrease it to like 11-4~ At 33-35° on top of substrate. Going to also get a hide with a base so she can’t dig during her nights

Does this sound about right
All except the 33-35 on top of substrate. That will make it 35-37 at the bottom of the substrate.

All except the 33-35 on top of substrate. That will make it 35-37 at the bottom of the substrate.
So I should go based on temp of glass? (Making glass temps 32~) which would make top 30~

That is what I would do. That way it can bury itself if it wants more heat.

That is what I would do. That way it can bury itself if it wants more heat.
Is there anything safe I can use to stick the probe to bottom of glass? I know sticky tape is a no no, but I’d also rather not use glue and be unable to move it

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Suction-Packet-suction-sucker-suckers/dp/B005KQE352

I'm going to take a dig now.........
You often appear to have all the answers but you are asking some very basic questions some of which have brought your own set up into question.
I have one of those, didn’t think they’d be good on direct heat.

Take all the digs you want, I’m still learning just don’t want to get something wrong and waste money.

I had my coastal in this tank for 3-4 years before I started getting into reptiles, he’s healthy, I didn’t pay much attention to heat at all. Ever since I’ve started my internship with reptile team I’ve been more mindful... if I wanted I suppose I could set it up th way he was set up. Prob would cause some arguments on here as his heat was up to 35°c 24/7 during summer, during winter. Again, he’s 100% fine, why don’t I just set up like he was? Because I have learnt that was not the right way to tackle things and can cause problems so I don’t have the knowledge I should have got from him etc

For all I know, I’m just being paranoid with her

I just re-read this part of a previous reply
I appreciate the help, but the only place to put the probe would be underneath the mat, and as far as I’m aware, only the top of the mat provides heat
[doublepost=1522387042,1522386920][/doublepost]
a heat mat puts out heat in both directions,this is why they supply those little feet for air flow ! So you don't burn your desk or whatever your tank sits on.
But it also has me thinking whether you have the heat mat inside or underneath the tank? It is meant to be underneath the glass to warm the floor.If it is inside it could possibly burn your snake.This could be part of your problem

I just re-read this part of a previous reply

a heat mat puts out heat in both directions,this is why they supply those little feet for air flow ! So you don't burn your desk or whatever your tank sits on.
But it also has me thinking whether you have the heat mat inside or underneath the tank? It is meant to be underneath the glass to warm the floor.If it is inside it could possibly burn your snake.This could be part of your problem
it is on the outside, but i didnt know it output heat in both directions, i thought the space was to create airflow so it didnt suffocate and put more energy then it needs to

so i tried getting her out about 45minutes ago.. to take a video.. and as it always happens.. she acted completely normal @Snapped ,ill try again tomorrow during my easter break

Hi
I used to keep marine fish and the foam on the bottom of the glass tank is to absorb the weight of the water without cracking the glass. There should be no need for the foam in a reptile setup, I'd get rid of it.
As you said though i don't think it's causing you snake problems.
I'm a newby but if be visiting the vet
Cheers and good luck

Hi
I used to keep marine fish and the foam on the bottom of the glass tank is to absorb the weight of the water without cracking the glass. There should be no need for the foam in a reptile setup, I'd get rid of it.
As you said though i don't think it's causing you snake problems.
I'm a newby but if be visiting the vet
Cheers and good luck
That’s nice to know for future fish tanks, however this tank isn’t a fish tank and is a proper “reptile enclosure” I think I said by reptile one, but is in fact URS: code 02. 14D

???

What reptile team is that? Surely if they have a background in reptile husbandry and really know what they were on about that they'd be able to help you out.
They can only suggest as much as you guys. Easier to ask here then keep going back and forth with them. Trying something then going back to ask etc, easier to get lots of potential fixes here.

I’m sure they would be able to tell me what the go is but not what to fix.

Yeah, I'm still a little confused. First up you didn't answer my question regarding who they were and secondly I'd have thought that if you were an "intern" you'd at least have phone contact or be able to get one of them to come and look at your setup and offer a means to try and fix up the situation. Anyway, you've been offered some pretty good advise on here (especially about limiting exposure to heat) so I hope you work it out in the end.

Yeah, I'm still a little confused. First up you didn't answer my question regarding who they were and secondly I'd have thought that if you were an "intern" you'd at least have phone contact or be able to get one of them to come and look at your setup and offer a means to try and fix up the situation. Anyway, you've been offered some pretty good advise on here (especially about limiting exposure to heat) so I hope you work it out in the end.
Sorry, I just don’t think it’s right to tell you who they are.

I do have contact, but again, lot easier to ask here and get a variety of “possibilities” rather than just one persons abilities.

And I think it was Jamie who said you guys would have a world more of knowledge compared to them.

I do have contact, but again, lot easier to ask here and get a variety of “possibilities” rather than just one persons abilities.

And I think it was Jamie who said you guys would have a world more of knowledge compared to them.
There are very many smart and experienced people here who have many many years of experience between them,I am still sucking up information from the brains trust :)
I've only been back into reptiles for the last 15 years or so, so I am a babe in the woods compared to these guys

This just makes me and I am sure most others very curious as to who they are. If there isnt anything underhanded I see no reason why you would think it "isn't right" to tell us.

In regard to not asking them for advice, could it be that you don't want them to see that you have limited experience in this situation?
If that is the case you would be better off being honest with them so you can gain the experience first hand from them, rather than second or third hand on a forum.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back