Something Seems Off Here . . .

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nero Egernia

Reaction score
I recently acquired an adult carpet python roughly a week and a half ago. On pick up there didn't really seem to be anything too out of the ordinary. The skin was a little loose, but not so that the snake felt particularly thin or dehydrated. I also noticed that the throat looked slightly swollen. It was hardly noticeable, however, and when I pressed on the swelling it felt soft. I voiced my concerns to the seller about this and they said they didn't notice anything. I thought perhaps I was seeing things and being paranoid so I took the snake home.

Anyway as the days went by I noticed that the snake tended to hiss and huff a lot when I interacted with it. I put it down to it simply being a grumpy individual. It also showed no interest in any food I offered. Again, I put it down to nothing unusual. It might have been still settling in, or maybe it had no appetite due to the colder weather. Then not long after I had to remove the snake from the enclosure for a cleanup and I could have sworn as it was exhaling I felt its throat vibrating. This made me stop dead. None of my other snakes have done this before. I listened closely to the snake breathing and I was certain I could hear a faint wheezing and clicking. Next day I saw bubbles coming from its mouth. Its throat was puffing like a frog. I observed the snake for a while and more bubbles were coming from its mouth, and every so often it would yawn. I then opened its mouth and inside was a lot of bubbly saliva.

Am I right to assume that this may be respiratory infection? Or at the very least something does not seem right here.

How long does it take for RI to set in?

Sounds like the start of an RI but it doesn't sound like its too far advanced as you don't mention any cheesy white mucus in the mouth.
Probably safer to get it into the vet for a check up and if it is RI the vet will probably put him on a course of antibiotics.

These things can take a while to surface and can be induced in many ways.

I can't remember off the top of my head,but it is a fatal disease confined to a certain breed of pythons.The name comes from the sound when they try to breathe and their glottis clicks due to the build up of saliva.I would have to dig through my library to find it again

Sounds like the start of an RI but it doesn't sound like its too far advanced as you don't mention any cheesy white mucus in the mouth.
Probably safer to get it into the vet for a check up and if it is RI the vet will probably put him on a course of antibiotics.

These things can take a while to surface and can be induced in many ways.

It's not white or cheesy. The saliva's clear and slightly frothy. Yes, the snake's being quarantined. I've cranked the temperature, as well as having it on 24 hours to encourage healing. I'll notify the seller.

I've never read of click disease in any of my books. It doesn't sound good though.

Sorry guys ,no update yet on click disease yet,too many things to look through :( It was something I read and it was infectious and incurable

Sorry guys ,no update yet on click disease yet,too many things to look through :( It was something I read and it was infectious and incurable

No rush mate but would be good to know about. I can't find any reference to 'click' disease on line or in any of my herp medicine books.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back