Handling a fiesty spotted python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
can't afford is an easy excuse but not acceptable,you have been told sand is not a natural substrate for snakes ( good for dragons though),sure they come across it in the wild but are not forced to live on it full time.I don't like newspaper but it will do, I don't like kitty litter but it will do,these are cheap options that you you could use while you have no money.Your snakes health is more important than anything than anything else.
Just for the record though, I know people who keep some species such as BHPs and womas on sand without issue (with adequate climbing space).
I'm probably just gonna stay out of the sand debate.

Last edited:
I use Kritter crumble fine, looks good, absorbsant, easy to clean etc.

Personally I don’t see anything wrong with sand as long as they have enough climbing material to stay off it if they so desire.
I’ve seen the arguments for and against. However, there are better options + sand gets EVERYWHERE

Hehe... anything would be fine as a substrate if there is enough climbing material to stay off of it... even hot Coals. Lol

Hi.

First off you don't need to wash your hands with any sort of sanitizer. I know plenty of people who, like myself have been handling snakes for over 50 years and never used the stuff and never had any issues. Unless you have a snake in quarantine the sanitizer doesn't serve any real useful purpose and a warm water wash is fine (soap is optional) as this will be enough to remove any scent left from any meat or snacks with meat flavouring (especially anything with chicken flavouring added) that you may have handled during the day. Try getting it out with a snake hook and placing it on your hand. Don't grab the snake as this will encourage a defencive reaction and result in a bite. Once out just let it move through your fingers and hand and up and down your arm as it feels fit. When you have both had enough then gently lift it off without grabbing it and place it back in the enclosure. Looking at the size of those mice there's also a very good chance that it's hungry and if you want you can feed it 2 or 3 of those sized mice in the one hit so you don't waist them then up the size to large adult once they're all gone. Another thing to think about is if your handling it when it's hot and you might find you'll have better success handling it before it warms up. Remember that they don't really like being handled and they don't connect with the keeper like pets such as dogs and cats. Some come around to accept it and others don't.

George.

Last edited:
Hehe... anything would be fine as a substrate if there is enough climbing material to stay off of it... even hot Coals. Lol

1020fe0c84a0184a48cdab00c6f961eb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The sanitiser just neutralises all scents that a snake may find tempting. I don't use it to "protect" the snake or myself from the 99.9% of germs it allegedly kills, the sanitiser is quicker and easier than washing hands and works. No it's not essential or necessary but it works.

I don't have a hand basin in my reptile room where my mice and birds also are... if I'm busy down there, I'm not racing upstairs every 3 mins to wash my hands... I have hand sanitiser stations around the house everywhere. Very handy for the snakes.

Hi.

First off you don't need to wash your hands with any sort of sanitizer. I know plenty of people who, like myself have been handling snakes for over 50 years and never used the stuff and never had any issues. Unless you have a snake in quarantine the sanitizer doesn't serve any real useful purpose and a warm water wash is fine (soap is optional) as this will be enough to remove any scent left from and meat or snacks with meat flavouring (especially anything with chicken flavouring added) that you may have handled during the day. Try getting it out with a snake hook and placing it on your hand. Don't grab the snake as this will encourage a defencive reaction and result in a bite. Once out just let it move through your fingers and hand and up and down your arm as it feels fit. When you have both had enough then gently lift it off without grabbing it and place it back in the enclosure. Looking at the size of those mice there's also a very good chance that it's hungry and if you want you can feed it 2 or 3 of those sized mice in the one hit so you don't waist them then up the size to large adult once they're all gone. Another thing to think about is if your handling it when it's hot and you might find you'll have better success handling it before it warms up. Remember that they don't really like being handled and they don't connect with the keeper like pets such as dogs and cats. Some come around to accept it and others don't.

George.

Thank you!!

The sanitiser just neutralises all scents that a snake may find tempting. I don't use it to "protect" the snake or myself from the 99.9% of germs it allegedly kills, the sanitiser is quicker and easier than washing hands and works. No it's not essential or necessary but it works.
Could also say the alcohol hand sanitiser harms the snake I guess

I use Kritter crumble fine, looks good, absorbsant, easy to clean etc.

Personally I don’t see anything wrong with sand as long as they have enough climbing material to stay off it if they so desire.
I’ve seen the arguments for and against. However, there are better options + sand gets EVERYWHERE

I’ll be walking the street in the morning to find some newspapers:)

What about Astro turf??

Could also say the alcohol hand sanitiser harms the snake I guess

Sorry for the bluntness in asking... But what do you mean?

As an example, alcohol gel is now considered the gold standard in health care for non visibly soiled hands, and evaporates completely in seconds (I know human healthcare is somewhat irrelevant).
It won't harm the snake, but isn't a requirement either.

I'm glad it was mentioned to just feed multiple smaller items above, that's what I've always done. Only an issue if you get a painful snake who won't eat more than one/freaks out if you try putting the second one in its mouth as it finishes the first one to alleviate it not taking it on its own. I've only had one like that...most will happily eat more.

Wouldn't be too worried about the sand, personally.
You could mix it with a coir/Coco peat block, just make sure there's no added fertilizer. I get mine from cheap as chips...much cheaper than Bunnings.
I only suggest this if the sand now makes you anxious or lack of humidity is an issue. It's also cheap.

Another consideration is do not hover over or hesitate about picking the snake up.

When you say it was rubbing it's jaw over you to size you up, what makes you say that?
Did it go to open its mouth or anything? They don't really size up pray until it's dead, since they ambush.

Also sometimes we forget a healthy snake is solid muscle, so holding on to you can feel a bit more "aggressive" than it is, if that makes sense.

Apologies for spelling errors and lack of tact in this post, I am getting a baby to sleep lol.

I mean everything in a friendly manner, just rushing.

Goodluck

Sorry for the bluntness in asking... But what do you mean?

As an example, alcohol gel is now considered the gold standard in health care for non visibly soiled hands, and evaporates completely in seconds (I know human healthcare is somewhat irrelevant).
It won't harm the snake, but isn't a requirement either.

I'm glad it was mentioned to just feed multiple smaller items above, that's what I've always done. Only an issue if you get a painful snake who won't eat more than one/freaks out if you try putting the second one in its mouth as it finishes the first one to alleviate it not taking it on its own. I've only had one like that...most will happily eat more.

Wouldn't be too worried about the sand, personally.
You could mix it with a coir/Coco peat block, just make sure there's no added fertilizer. I get mine from cheap as chips...much cheaper than Bunnings.
I only suggest this if the sand now makes you anxious or lack of humidity is an issue. It's also cheap.

Another consideration is do not hover over or hesitate about picking the snake up.

When you say it was rubbing it's jaw over you to size you up, what makes you say that?
Did it go to open its mouth or anything? They don't really size up pray until it's dead, since they ambush.

Also sometimes we forget a healthy snake is solid muscle, so holding on to you can feel a bit more "aggressive" than it is, if that makes sense.

Apologies for spelling errors and lack of tact in this post, I am getting a baby to sleep lol.

I mean everything in a friendly manner, just rushing.

Goodluck

I’ll just stick to washing my hands with soap as I have a dog and a cat I pet regularly so just incase.

I was going to feed multiple as there is no point keeping hoppers in the freezer if I only have two snakes that eat them?? They will both be getting a size up so may aswell feed the rest right?

I’ve found some spare Astro turf in the garage that I’ll be changing it over too :)

He literally scrapped his mouth against my palm, opened it and bit there, not just scrapping his jaw if you get me?? It’s so hard to explain hahah

Ah definitely, always something I repeat to myself.

Thanks![emoji16]

What about Astro turf??

Astro turf is used by a lot of people but once again I am not a fan,my snakes have a somewhat natural substrate.I use chipsi mixed with leaves etc plus fake plants
[doublepost=1523013957,1523013630][/doublepost]
I’ll just stick to washing my hands with soap as I have a dog and a cat I pet regularly so just incase.

I was going to feed multiple as there is no point keeping hoppers in the freezer if I only have two snakes that eat them?? They will both be getting a size up so may aswell feed the rest right?

Thanks![emoji16]

I usually just wash my hands under the tap when feeding to remove the smell of mouse to avoid snapping .
there is no problem feeding a few small items instead of 1 big item.It solves many problems when you have multiple reptiles of different sizes who might refuse a feed

Just for the record though, I know people who keep some species such as BHPs and womas on sand without issue (with adequate climbing space).
I'm probably just gonna stay out of the sand debate.
Well, BHPs and Womas are desert dwelling species. Anyway, I'd just also like to say that sand is probably not the best for spotteds. Even if it looks ugly, the animal's health comes first.

Well, BHPs and Womas are desert dwelling species. Anyway, I'd just also like to say that sand is probably not the best for spotteds. Even if it looks ugly, the animal's health comes first.
Exactly my point :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back