Albino Carpet curled up in water bowl

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crüzz

Not so new Member
Reaction score
As the title says, I've found my buddy curled up in his water bowl. Its been going on for 3 days now, though he isn't in it consistently. I've heard that they are either getting ready to shed or to get rid of external parasites, but I'm still unsure if there are any other factors.

If it helps, Temps are 32-35C on hot end and 27-29 on Cool end. Humidity is 65%-85%.

If it was mites you would see little black dots in the water and with being albino you would definitely see them walking on your snake, if the snake was too hot it would also soak to try cool down, the above are normally the reasons for extended soaking, my snakes do like a soak but never more than half hour
Good luck

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Hey mate i have one particular darwin who just seems to love taking a bath and dead set would probably spend almost half his time in or partialy in his bowl and he is healthy and happy as. As already stated if it were mites you would know . You will probably find a few other people agree that darwins do seem to like a soak

I’ve got a female albino who will tip over her water bowl and fill her entire tub with water just coz she can.... she will alternate between time on the hotspot and time in the water bowl just something she does :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

With a cool end between 27 & 29 deg C I wouldn't be the least surprised if the temperature gradient isn't broad enough causing the snake to be uncomfortable and seeking the water to cool down. The snake needs to be able to thermoregulate properly and 27 t0 29 at the cool end is too hot. Mightn't hurt to lower the cool end down to the low 20's and see what happens. The humidity also seems a little excessive and this is probably a result of the temps being between 27 & 35.

Alot of darwin breeders will say not to let the hatchies cool end to be less than 27-28 or they wont feed . GB advice is spot on though if it is not still a youngin ? Also those humidity levels are quite high thats for sure

As George has mentioned the high humidity is a direct result of the higher cool end temperature.
Not a good thing long term.

Possibly use a smaller water bowl and more ventilation holes .. should help fix high humidity . I personally have not seen humidity at 85% in my click clacks but thats just my 2 cents

I should also note. He is almost 2 yrs old. The temps were estimated on the day, and it was a pretty hot day. Yes, the humidity was high, that's my fault. I always spray the enclosure before school. So it's dropped sitting in the low 60%. Temps sit between 25-29 on cool end and hot end is the same as mentioned before. He's stopped sitting in the water bowl now, and I've checked for mites and none found. So I think the problem is solved. Temps and humidity too high causing him to sit in the water bowl to cool down.

Thanks!

As mentioned before this darwin het just seems to love having a dip. Always has regardless of temps and no mites etc
IMG_20180407_145200_225.jpg

It's not just Darwins that like to have a bit of a dip. From experience I've found that all Morelia spilota have a tendency to have a soak when they feel like it. I've even come across them having a tub in the wild on hot days. North Qld and Darwin are not the only places that experience high humidity. Where I live in Bellingen NSW we often experience days of extreme humidity during summer. On such occasions, just like in Nth Qld and Darwin the pythons tend to seek out refuge in the cooler parts of the forest and similar areas along the creeks and rivers, so I don't know if it's correct to say that they love higher humidities.

Last edited:
I have a lot of Darwins and as hatchlings in identical tubs/heating/waterbowls etc some have a tendency to soak in their water bowls while most of the others don't, some also take a pre-shed soak. As adults a few do this prior to shedding or on extreme hot days where the ambient temp is higher than their normal cool end and the aircon has not yet cooled the room.
My diamonds in aviaries take a bath on extremely hot days even though they have access to below floor cool areas and I too have observed many wild snakes cooling off in creeks on hot days.

What kind of bowl/tub do you guys use for your larger snakes? My MD just tips over his big bowl, I was thinking maybe a Sistema tub without the lid, but that would take up half the floor on the cool end.

What kind of bowl/tub do you guys use for your larger snakes? My MD just tips over his big bowl, I was thinking maybe a Sistema tub without the lid, but that would take up half the floor on the cool end.

The exo-terra water bowls from pet shop or online are the best if you only have a few animals because they are quite expensive but they can’t be tipped over and they look great.

MD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My adult pythons are all in large cages and I use large heavy dog bowls or garden pot bases, they never tip them over and if you only part fill them they don't overflow when the snake has a bath.
IMG_1035.jpg IMG_1037.jpg

most of my carpets love to soak in the water bowl, my larger ones have buckets or tubs

I just use these ceramic things from the pot section at Bunnings, this size is good for my half grown Ants... 11cm high by 12cm across... Nice and sturdy, hold plenty of water for them to completely submerge in. Can't knock these over.
20180409_103928.jpg 20180409_103858.jpg

Thanks guys for the info on the water bowls you use, my MD is a chunky 6 footer, so I'll have to take that into consideration. I do have an Exo-Terra water bowl, but sadly it's too small now for any of my pythons. I'll keep it for future snakes. haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back