What’s the best/safest silicone??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MDPython

Reaction score
Hello all, just wondering what the type of silicone is called that is safe to use for reptile enclosures??
I believe that normal wet area/bathroom silicone has some type of anti mould chemicals in it that can be harmful.

Thanks for any help, greatly appreciated...

MD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello all, just wondering what the type of silicone is called that is safe to use for reptile enclosures??
I believe that normal wet area/bathroom silicone has some type of anti mould chemicals in it that can be harmful.

MD

I just use aquarium grade silicone. If you want something that is a good adhesive something like Sikaflex 11FC is a better alternative.

I just use aquarium grade silicone. If you want something that is a good adhesive something like Sikaflex 11FC is a better alternative.

Aquarium grade excellent thanks very much Cris i will check the sika out aswell.
Cheers
MD

MD

I have heard that too, but I have yet to find out why, and if there is proof of that. The mould resistant kitchen and bathroom silicone is neutral cure (unlike aquarium silicone which is acetic acid cure), and safe for food preparation areas. Not saying it one way or the other, but what is the proof of the problem, and how does it affect animals - is it by contact, outgassing?

Jamie

I have heard that too, but I have yet to find out why, and if there is proof of that. The mould resistant kitchen and bathroom silicone is neutral cure (unlike aquarium silicone which is acetic acid cure), and safe for food preparation areas. Not saying it one way or the other, but what is the proof of the problem, and how does it affect animals - is it by contact, outgassing?

Jamie
It would be by contact Jamie. The mould inhibitor would not create a gas. In saying that if the mould resistant stuff is food preparation area safe then it should be reptile safe also. Personally I use aquarium safe glass silicon to avoid any issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back