11 yo stimson not eating

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eriquar

Reaction score
Hi guys just need advice from some one with experience with.older snakes.

Stimson Python Male 11yo.
He usually refuses to feed around March/April each year. But around mid May he is looking for food.
This year had been so different, Refused from 8th April and still not interested. I know its not That long since he ate. He definately isnt anorexic either. Stil fairly chunky but can see the 'dip' along his spine.

Last time I attempted to feed him, was 8th April but he not interested, How long should I wait till I try him again? Gets costly wasting the rats.

He is seems fine, handles well, Leaves "presents for me" lol

I have had Lennie for 10 years. And he usually does everything like clockwork.
I am so happy I recorded everytime he ate and Shed

I guess I am looking for reassurance that everything is ok.

Sorry for the Novel

Cheers
Erica x

Hi Erica,
Its Autumn. Hes more interested in other things.
Snakes do all sorts of strange things this time of year. Leave him be till spring.

Thank you so much, I feel much better now.
[doublepost=1526179807,1526179637][/doublepost]
My Stimmie hasn’t eaten since February and I don’t expect him to start again until September.

Thank You, wow long time, and here I am stressing over a month lol

Thank you so much, I feel much better now.
[doublepost=1526179807,1526179637][/doublepost]

Thank You, wow long time, and here I am stressing over a month lol

My yearling Diamond went off food for 9 months and was fine at the end of it. Some snakes have been known to go off food for up to a year without any ill effect. Couple months is nothing to them

I had a snake go over two years without a feed. He was about 10 years old, also an Antaresia, had previously always feed well other than during the breeding season. He bred both seasons while not feeding, just decided to take some time off feeding and went back to enthusiastic feeding when he was ready. He lived the best part of another 10 years after that. Pythons typically stop feeding for the coldest few months of the year. Most keepers give adult snakes around 5 months per year off feeding, even if the snakes want to feed during that time.

Most keepers give adult snakes around 5 months per year off feeding, even if the snakes want to feed during that time.

Should I do this? Is it common? My girl slams food down like no tomorrow but I’ve always wondered about winter and whether she should eat. But I just feed her because a hungry snake is a happy snake lol.

Should I do this? Is it common? My girl slams food down like no tomorrow but I’ve always wondered about winter and whether she should eat. But I just feed her because a hungry snake is a happy snake lol.
a hungry snake is a snake thats gonna bite you snake

If you keep the heat up during winter and your snake continues to eat, then there is no reason not to do so. Winter cooling is not essential or needed unless you into to breed.

Looks like you accidentally omitted an intended “not” from the last sentence. I do it a lot due to my poor typing skills – think much faster than I can type and tend to skip words, especially critical words (like the above) that completely reverse the meaning of what you want to say. Can be so annoying…

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back