Albino Darwin Pythons sale price

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lanea

Not so new Member
Reaction score
****, I just paid $600.... I knew I was overpaying when purchasing, but didn't know by how much.
Ah well. Lesson learned. I was warned here no to go to a pet shop. And I did. And I bought.

All good, it's done now.

Yeah, mine's nick name is snappy tom! But once out with the hook is placid as.
Lazy eater though. Doesn't even pretend to strangle and choke hold like my other pythons, just opens mouth and starts gulping the pinky as soon as I put it in front of her.

What age do they start changing colour? Sorry, I know this is a sale post. (Don't mean to hijack) She was kinda an impulse buy. Wasn't going to get an albino til later down the track, so hadn't done too much background research. But I swiped that credit card and now we have her. Looking forward to watching her grow and change, she is already a beautiful snake.

Last edited:
Well you definitely have money to burn, That's quite a collection! Make sure to pace yourself or you'd be how surprised how easy you can get overwhelmed. Especially keeping so many different snakes like GTP's. But to reference the above post, sadly you did pay about $300 overprice tbh. I got my Male Albino Darwin for $250 from a breeder. How long have you had her? she should start to get more brighter yellow stripes when she is a year old if fed weekly.

IMG_1674.JPG

Well you definitely have money to burn, That's quite a collection! Make sure to pace yourself or you'd be how surprised how easy you can get overwhelmed. Especially keeping so many different snakes like GTP's. But to reference the above post, sadly you did pay about $300 overprice tbh. I got my Male Albino Darwin for $250 from a breeder. How long have you had her? she should start to get more brighter yellow stripes when she is a year old if fed weekly.

Lol thats the thing, I don’t have money to burn! All good. I'm not buying anymore for a while, bc I want to ensure that they are healthy and happy before I get my Roughie, which will complete my collection. GTP was my 10th anniversary gift, so money was either him or a stupid piece of jewellery. So that was factored into the budget. He is actually the easiest to look after even though everyone warned me about staying away from them for my first snake. Ate, shed, shat in first week. Handles, like a dream. Enjoys it in fact! Humidity and temp are fine even though in Melb and in a glass enclosure. The albino is 6 months and eating pinkies every 5-7 days. Lil snappy when getting her out of click clack, but only if I use hands, not mini hook. Less snappy now that I have half lined the click clack with dark cardboard to give her privacy. Instead of being surrounded by 4 walls of clear plastic and feeling vulnerable, she has 3 covered up in a U shape around the inside of the click clack. Before I did this, when I would walk over to the click clack which is at bench height, she would S pose and strike at nothing. So I assumed she felt over exposed and gave her more hiding space.
[doublepost=1526479845,1526479678][/doublepost]F1163EB0-5089-4A71-8152-DB61941AF679.jpeg
[doublepost=1526479881][/doublepost]Apparently ‘blondie’ was her grandmother which is why she was 'worth' her asking price... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Yes she definitely did, what I used for a make shift hide and good insulation in my tubs is an egg carton worked well! I also put a granite rock under mine for some convection between heat mat and my Darwin. personally I'd feed fuzzy mice just because the poo is a little harder meaning more good stuff in your snake!

IMG_1642.JPG
[doublepost=1526480164,1526480100][/doublepost]Don't mind my other Het Darwin on the left munching on a Fuzzy lol

Cool, I'll finish the bag of pinkies I have and move her to fuzzies. The breeder who sold her to me, who also works at a met shop in Mentone, said feed her pinkies.
First feed, no squeeze gulped it in 2 minutes, second feed, no squeeze, gulped it in a minute. I already suspected I need to move her up. Thanks for your advice.

Again STOMPSY, SORRY FOR HIJACKING THREAD!! But at least its bumped up!! Lol :)

He has 3 left! $275 with click clack, Vic buyers only :) :) :)

And yes, buy from him! Don't get ripped at a pet shop like I did last week!!

Sorry Stompsy!! #embarassed

And Thanks Stuart !!!

I got carried away in chatter. (It was the shiraz, or 2 or 3 that I had while online last night!) New here and still getting used to forum etiquette. Won’t natter away in someones For sale thread again! No bad intentions!

Cheers

Last edited:
Sorry Stompsy!! #embarassed

And Thanks Stuart !!!

I got carried away in chatter. (It was the shiraz!) New here and still getting used to forum etiquette. Won’t natter away in someones For sale thread again! No bad intentions!

Cheers
All good! :) Wish you had seen my post first though! :p

Yes she definitely did, what I used for a make shift hide and good insulation in my tubs is an egg carton worked well! I also put a granite rock under mine for some convection between heat mat and my Darwin. personally I'd feed fuzzy mice just because the poo is a little harder meaning more good stuff in your snake!

View attachment 324211
[doublepost=1526480164,1526480100][/doublepost]Don't mind my other Het Darwin on the left munching on a Fuzzy lol

Thanks Abstractivity, took your advice and gave her an egg carton instead. She’s loving it and can escape heat mat by sitting above egg carton when she wants to also....

She is totally loving the egg carton as a hide over the previous which was a cardboard takeaway coffee cup. Using paper as sub.

Don’t worry I’m aware her click clack is small. I’m in the process of using a soldering iron to make holes in a larger custom home made one....

B3FFD409-B5F3-4312-A79A-D944D14296E9.jpeg D0FFB0EE-E3EA-4222-B7A8-718334F3B48C.jpeg

Stompsy OR Abstractivity, if you don’t mind, quick Q....

Do you think the dull / rough patch on her head is beginnings of shed. I have had her 11 days and it was always there since day1, hasn’t grown or appeared after purchase. (Reiterating this bc I bought a coastal, a spotted an albino Darwin and a GTP in same week, and its not a contamination issue, although admittedly I haven’t quarantined) But bc the dull patch hasn’t grown I thought maybe its not beginning of shed. A little worried its beginning of a skin issue... or does this look normal to you?

I change her water / newspaper daily, the box isn’t damp.

(Excuse the red on her neck, I know what that is....)

66E15FBE-7BB0-42AE-AF4A-DCA55BDC6C6A.jpeg

Last edited:
i paid 250$ for mine but thats mates rates from someone who doesnt do it for the money.
[doublepost=1526526025,1526525874][/doublepost]
Thanks Abstractivity, took out the black cardboard & gave her an egg carton instead. She’s loving it and can escape heat mat by sitting above egg carton when she wants to also....

She it totally loving the egg carton as a hide over the previous which was a cardboard takeaway coffee cup. Using paper as sub.

Don’t worry I’m aware her click clack is small. I’m in the process of using a soldering iron to make holes in a larger custom home made one....

View attachment 324212 View attachment 324213

Stompsy OR Abstractivity, if you don’t mind, quick Q....

Do you think the dull / rough patch on her head is beginnings of shed. I have had her 11 days and it was always there since day1, hasn’t grown or appeared after purchase. (Reiterating this bc I bought a coastal, a spotted an albino Darwin and a GTP in same week, and its not a contamination issue, although admittedly I haven’t quarantined) But bc the dull patch hasn’t grown I thought maybe its not beginning of shed. A little worried its beginning of a skin issue... or does this look normal to you?

I change her water / newspaper daily, the box isn’t damp.

(Excuse the red on her neck, I know what that is....)

View attachment 324214

its super hard to tell when they are going into shed... you kind of just know... + their colour goes super gross like bad milk, the dull patch on heads are normal
[doublepost=1526526350][/doublepost]
2d04cc99c06f8d8de120b5bff18d0041.png

https://gyazo.com/2d04cc99c06f8d8de120b5bff18d0041

i just noticed, this, looks like missing top layer of scales from previous shed, same looking thing happened to my CCP a while ago, i tried to quickly rub off a tiny piece of retained shed on his back and the top layer of a scale came off

Yes, that is the exact spot I'm referring to. it is like dry skin. I thought it was start of shed, but bc it hasn't graduated I thought maybe a skin prob.
Bc she is already a snappy tom and I am trying to discourage it, should I leave it, instead of trying to rub it off? It'll come off in next shed anyway, right?
[doublepost=1526529387,1526529269][/doublepost]Sorry, so you mean, this is a patch that didn't come off her in the previous shed, and old skin is stuck to her head? (Unsure what you mean by, 'missing scales')

Yes, that is the exact spot I'm referring to. it is like dry skin. I thought it was start of shed, but bc it hasn't graduated I thought maybe a skin prob.
Bc she is already a snappy tom and I am trying to discourage it, should I leave it, instead of trying to rub it off? It'll come off in next shed anyway, right?
[doublepost=1526529387,1526529269][/doublepost]Sorry, so you mean, this is a patch that didn't come off her in the previous shed, and old skin is stuck to her head? (Unsure what you mean by, 'missing scales')
so imagine the scales are layered, somethings happened where the top layer of the scales has come off is what it looks like, it should fix it self if not next shed, over the next couple of sheds

IMG_0755.jpg

heres the one that happened to my coastal

Awesome. Thank you! Bc its on her head and she's snappy, I'll take The Beatles advice and 'Let it be' :)
Thanks for your help Bl69aze - Have a great day@

Hi Lanea,

I've been following this and your other thread and agree that you've got some nice looking critters there.

Can I please offer a little bit of advice? Snakes don't like being handled, they tolerate it so don't be fooled and think that they love it...unfortunately they don't. They'll get used to it and put up with it once they do but they don't like it. Basically they're a "look at and admire me animal'. I know how hard it can be to not play with them when you first get them but for the welfare of the snake(s) you're better off to leave them be to get to know their new surroundings before handling them on a regular basis.

Disturbing them to clean their enclosure and change the water is not required or needed on a daily basis, in fact it can cause the critter to get a bit stressed. It can actually cause them to go off feeding. You only need to change or top up the water once a week and change the lining if it gets soiled.

Hatching Carpets are capable of eating and will take fuzzy mice from the word go. Pinkies provide no nutrition whatsoever and best avoided if possible. I get a lot of wild hatchling Carpets visiting my place who like to help themselves to my feeder mice and can assure you they are capable of eating a full grown adult mouse not long after they hatch.

Also that mark you refer to on the albino's head is nothing, don't play around with it, it will sort itself out more and more after each shed.

Cheers,

George.

Last edited:
Hi Lanea,

I've been following this and your other thread and agree that you've got some nice looking critters there.

Can I please offer a little bit of advice? Snakes don't like being handled, they tolerate it so don't be fooled and think that they love it...unfortunately they don't. They'll get used to it and put up with it once they do but they don't like it. Basically they're a "look at and admire me animal'. I know how hard it can be to not play with them when you first get them but for the welfare of the snake(s) you're better off to leave them be to get to know their new surroundings before handling them on a regular basis.

Disturbing them to clean their enclosure and change the water is not required or needed on a daily basis, in fact it can cause the critter to get a bit stressed. It can actually cause them to go off feeding. You only need to change or top up the water once a week and change the lining if it gets soiled.

Hatching Carpets are capable of eating and will take fuzzy mice from the word go. Pinkies provide no nutrition whatsoever and best avoided if possible. I get a lot of wild hatchling Carpets visiting my place who like to help themselves to my feeder mice and can assure you they are capable of eating a full grown adult mouse not long after they hatch.

Also that mark you refer to on the albino's head is nothing, don't play around with it, it will sort itself out more and more after each shed.

Cheers,

George.

Thanks for your reply. I grew up across the road from Brian and Lani who own Herp shop and they'd drape them all over me every time I went over to see the reptiles, which was often. I'd sit there for hours having coffee with them with all sorts of reptiles crawling all over me. Now with my own first pythons, I do have to admit, that I am probably a little over confident in handling them because I have been around them in a 'casual manner' for too long and not as an owner/caretaker. But I do realise that they are a not a novelty and the more I stuff around with them, the less happy they are. Definitely letting them all be. They are all in quiet spots in separate rooms.

Most of the pics I have posted on the forum though, I took on day one of bringing the python home or photographed during a time I had to take it out of the enclosure for another reason (Initial set up, or like that time GTP knocked over my humidity sensor and it fell into the back of the exo terrain, and I had to pull the whole thing apart to retrieve it) So if I had to get the python out, of course, I had to hold and have a quick hug and picky too. :) Other than that though, we don't really get them out, except I have held the coastal a fair few times (I'll explain in a sec below)

The GTP pics I have of me in the dress, were when I first met her from the breeder when I was in QLD two weeks ago. The other pics of when I invited the kids over was actually because I decided to change his perch from PVC to natural. That's why you can see the little girl holding him on his perch. I text them to say com over and meet him, as It was during the time I was exchanging his perch. (See other thread, if you don't know what I'm referring to) But since I changed his perch to natural branch, I have def left him alone except to spray him daily and check his temp with RF thermometer.

The coastal, admittedly, I have over handled because he is so placid. I literally open the glass door and he slides out and approaches me and lands on my shoulder to hang out. This was the one I referring to when I was explaining the 'rescue python from pet shop' story at the beginning of other thread. He definitely has been handled (too much probably) by his previous owners on a semi daily basis since he was a Hatchie and now he is 3. So he is very comfortable around humans because of the way he was raised. (He is the one I have introduced to my friends) I need to be careful here to not exploit that (even unintentionally) So last night I moved him out of our main lounge room where we have children, TV on, High traffic etc and into my office where no one really enters unless its to grab something and it is very quiet in there. I wan't him to have peace esp bc he has slowed right down this time of the year and has stopped eating (A problem I knew he had before I bought him) But we obviously want him to eat again when he is ready, so I have moved him into what I call his 'respite room' for security, quiet, less movement from us all walking past him, etc etc.

Regarding the Albino. The reason I was changing his newspaper terrain regularly is because his water bowl is so tiny, and the water evaporates somewhat. So instead of taking lid off and putting hand in and taking bowl out and refilling daily, causing stress, I just started opening the hatch and getting a glass of water and pouring it into the hatch, often missing and wetting all the newspaper underneath her. Not wanting to leave her on a wet newspaper underlay, I then had to change it. I def agree with you about little handling of them. So I have bought myself a huge turkey baster this morning, which I fill with water and can squirt directly into little bowl now via hatch, so that I don't have to open lid, use a glass, remove water bowl or replace newspaper terrain bc it gets wet. Therefore she will now get as little interruption as possible.

I agree with you re: the pinkies not being enough. I could tell that from the first feed that she wasn't satisfied even though the breeder at the pet store told me to feed her pinkies. I bought her some mice today.

Really appreciate the advice everyone is offering and the time it takes to reply. *Thank you*
Even though I am comfortable around pythons, I am humble enough to accept that I still have my L plates on and have a lot to learn and am therefore open to well intended advice.

NB: Yes, I def don't feel comfortable rubbing those dry scales off my albinos head. I figure if it is from previous shed it'll sort itself out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back