Snakes not recommended as pets

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harimoni Proudswift

Not so new Member
Reaction score
My mum's told me that some places, including the Australian Reptile Park, don't recommend that people keep snakes as pets because they're not very friendly and not the type of animal that likes human contact.

My mum's told me that some places, including the Australian Reptile Park, don't recommend that people keep snakes as pets because they're not very friendly and not the type of animal that likes human contact.

The best pet would be a dog or a rat, if you want a pet that will bond with you socially. Some lizards like bearded dragons are cool with some human interation, but they don't have much interest in doing anything other than eating or chilling out.

For some people these are the exact reasons they can be good pets.

For people who travel, don't want to handle, would otherwise feel guilty not having enough time to interact etc

Last edited:
What a load of rubbish. And this coming from people who apparently like reptiles!

Why wouldn't snakes be considered good pets? They're awesome pets! They're clean, low maintenance and easy to care for with proper research. Pets are defined as an animal kept by humans for pleasure. It doesn't mean that they have to be friendly and cuddly, and you have to bond with them. In most cases I find needy attention-seeking mammals to be irritating. I like my reptiles. I feed and care for them, and every once and a while I'll pull them out to admire them. There's just something incredibly soothing when you watch a snake gracefully cruising about, interacting with its surroundings. I'll take that any day over a farting dog sitting on my lap, licking its genitalia, and eating its own feces.

Last edited:
Could never see the point myself

I guess they're a bit like snakes. They can be beautiful to look at. Some fish can be highly interactive. A well designed aquarium can be a magnificent feature. I don't keep fish myself but I enjoy viewing aquariums whenever I visit someone who has them. But each to their own, I guess. Some people want a pet they can cuddle and bond with, while others are just as happy to do without.

I have a room dedicated solely to aquariums. Nothing more soothing than the sound of running water and watching fish. Like a massage for your mind at the end of a long day.
12705223_10156454647115246_7208247925701968010_n.jpg

I have a room dedicated solely to aquariums. Nothing more soothing than the sound of running water and watching fish. Like a massage for your mind at the end of a long day.
View attachment 324295

Always liked the idea of aquariums but very overwhelming when people show me the filter set up and start talking about that side of it ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always liked the idea of aquariums but very overwhelming when people show me the filter set up and start talking about that side of it ...
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aquariums can seem overwhelming but the key is the bigger they are the easier they are to maintain. I've got some teeny tiny 10, 20 & 30 litre nano setups, they look awesome but they are a very fragile system that can "crash" in a very short time. My larger 600-1000 litre setups are a dream to maintain. They virtually look after themselves.
The more water an aquarium holds, the easier it is to maintain.

Not every pet has to be cute and cuddly. Look at the people who keep spiders as pets. Spiders aren't cute and cuddly, but some people still choose to keep them as pets rather than having a dog or cat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back