Childrens python- not eating???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Magee

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I know this is a common one, but I also feel like it's very out of character.
I've got a children's, 8 years old, female (have had since yearling). She ate a weaner rat at the end of Feb, and an adult mouse mid April. Nothing between or since- has rejected offers. Very active around her enclosure, shed 10 days ago but messy. Still looking very grey even after shedding.
She's very tame, almost completely head trained, and happy around kids etc.
But she struck at me for the first time in 7 years today, unprovoked.

Any ideas what might be going on? Is this normal stuff?

Thanks,
M

Could be that it’s come to
Winter and doesn’t want to be disturbed.

What’s her hotspot temps?
Any set up pics or snek pics?

Could be that it’s come to
Winter and doesn’t want to be disturbed.

What’s her hotspot temps?
Any set up pics or snek pics?
Will grab pics now. THermostat setup witth ceramic heat lamp

Will grab pics now. THermostat setup witth ceramic heat lamp
Need numbers, thermostat could be set to one thing, but unless you have a tempgun, it could be different to what you set

I learned this a few days ago, thought my spot was 34~ but it was really 31

Ceramic lamp set to 28*C.

34323975_2540705186154910_3155057828608081920_n.jpg

34367454_2540705216154907_2083737502874599424_n.jpg

34388172_2540705229488239_2931122773575073792_n.jpg

34323975_2540705186154910_3155057828608081920_n.jpg
[doublepost=1528108008,1528107975][/doublepost]
Need numbers, thermostat could be set to one thing, but unless you have a tempgun, it could be different to what you set

I learned this a few days ago, thought my spot was 34~ but it was really 31

Coldest spot of cage at 22, hottest at 28.

Sounds like a temp issue, my spotted went through this a few weeks ago. Now his hot spot is holding steady at 34 and he ate like a champ. I've also noticed he seems to be a bit more placid since I got his new heat set up (could be because he is getting bigger).

There have been a couple more posts since I wrote this – fell asleep last night before posting it. So it repeats some of what has been said.

I assume you have not altered the heating in the last year plus. While you may get away with the current arrangements, your warm end is on the low side. A basking spot between 33 and 36 is desirable, which should then provide an ambient range of about 30 to low 20’s.

It may not be a temperature issue. So if you do make adjustments to the temperature and there is no change, don’t worry. Have a read of the following short thread to put your mind at ease: https://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/threads/11-yo-stimson-not-eating.222521/

The shape the cabinet and the ventilation at the top makes it difficult to take full advantage of the heat from the lamp. What I would suggest is an elevated basking platform placed on top of the exiting wood shelf. A good way to do this that allows the snake to choose its desired position, is to use a stack like they do with monitors. It would not be hard to make and would certainly help. Following is a photo of a simple wooden stack to give you the idea. A while back I designed a simple “snake stack” for a mate to try with his stimmies. However he ended up swapping them for frilled-necks and so didn’t do it. I can draw it up and post it here if you are interested.
upload_2018-6-5_15-47-3.png

From what I can see, the hides provided are far too big and would not allow the snake to effectively retain heat after basking. They really need to be able to coil up in a tight space, where they can reduce air flow around them to retain heat.

Secondly, to allow the snake to make good use of branches, they are best if significantly thicker than the snake and on a maximum of about 45 degrees, with some also being horizontal. You can use several bit of wood in a zig zag pattern to utilise the height of the cage. They can be screwed or tied together to hold them firmly in place. Cable ties are excellent for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back