comparing olives to coastals, questions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenari

Reaction score
So Im interested in olive pythons, I have experience with 9-10ft coastal pythons, would you say they are similar to coastals?
ive read they are aggressive at feeding time and initially getting out of an enclosure so I am aware of that
Ive got a snappy coastal so i am use to that side of things somewhat, but i plan on getting a hatchling and handling frequently, or even with frequent handling are still just as bad? or a hit and miss?

TIA

They're all individuals, you'll get everything from the most placid to the most psychotic of individuals in pretty much all pythons, very much including Olives and Coastal Carpets, although most individuals of both species are generally pretty good handlers. Olives get larger and more powerful. 10' Coastals are as rare as hens' teeth, but it is normal for Olives to exceed 10'.

I think you should get one. You have experience with bitey snakes, so you know what you're in for. I was thinking about getting a scrub python, but I was advised by someone that has a huge amount of experience of how dangerous they can be, and that I should always have someone there to help if he gets a hold of me. I'm going to wait for my kids to get bigger first. Have you been tagged hard by your big coastal yet? if you can take a bite from him, the Olive shouldn't be too much worse. I've learned in a short time that every snake has a different personality, and even ones that seem placid can turn on you.

I was thinking about getting a scrub python, but I was advised by someone that has a huge amount of experience of how dangerous they can be, and that I should always have someone there to help if he gets a hold of me. I'm going to wait for my kids to get bigger first. Have you been tagged hard by your big coastal yet?

Interesting you say this. Unsure if you mean this in jest or not. My partner is not remotely interested in reptiles. I have deliberately timed my snakes that will grow larger, (the larger ones are currently yearlings) with the age of my 9 year old child, so by the time she is older and stronger she will be the right size and strength to match their strength and size. Being a small framed female, I try buy the larger breeds as yearlings and the smaller breeds as adults, so that I have a mix of older and younger snakes, in various sizes which gives me variety and experience, but at least when my coastal, darwin and jungle is bigger, I will have my daughter to assist me. Great to have an extra set of hands in the house. Kids are perfect for this. You can train them young with your young snakes and they'll both grow up together.

I have started little lessons with my child, opening flap of click clack, grabbing the snake without hesitation, not dilly dallying around going back and forth with her hand, explained this is what will make 'snake' bite. But if you go in confident you most likely get bitten. She hesitated, got bitten once. Now grabs the lil snake, in one confident movement and has not been bitten ever since.

Yes, these small humans we make do tend to come in handy. But I digress...

Last edited:
Bahahaha. I love it.

Nah, I do that to keep the partner in check. "Be good or I'll sick my snake on ya!" (Joke)

Also friends who come over our house with their bottles of wine and Yorkshire Terriers in their arms. Friends always get a kiss on the cheek and their rat sized "dogs" a stroke under the chin, accompanied by a "Hello Python Snack... Come in!"

Last edited:
Guess my kids were lucky enough to grow up around snakes...lol

Daughter at around 3 years old with mum
12957382_10154104223953252_318452665_n.jpg

Young bloke and my girl (same one as in the in the above photo) handling an Olive (about 1.8mtrs in the pic and just on 3.5mtrs now)
S1030952.JPG

The boy out relocating a couple of Red Bellied Blacks and Carpets with me about 18 months ago.
DSCN0918.JPG

Thanks for sharing guys!! I love kids and snakes. They help spread the word in their own little way in their own little communities about our incredible specimens!

Here’s my contribution

BB9AE6A2-1C9C-4267-AE78-ABCE3AEDC046.jpeg 6D5BD26D-8B09-4919-8BDF-61131699CE2A.jpeg D231BE14-C1DE-407A-A7A2-850CA6FFF755.jpeg
2E8E3BC4-3B86-4BA4-A98B-5A87A3A757DD.jpeg
[doublepost=1530703658,1530702491][/doublepost]
(about 1.8mtrs in the pic and just on 3.5mtrs now)

Sh*t you breed tall kids.... ;)
[doublepost=1530703857][/doublepost]@Pauls_Pythons nice lil booze trolley you got going there. Snakes, couch, family & drinkies. Perfect night in!

Love this pic. Not just for the booze. ;) That snake is incredible. (Picking up my jaw) Yep definitely need to raise a brood of snake handling helpers to handle that big boy! Lol

Last edited:
Always good to get the kids interested early,my grandkids (5 & 3 )were here a week or so ago for the baptism of another grandaughter and had their first handle of a snake (only a Childreni but gotta start somewhere, the Morelias will come later) I'll have to get my daughter to send some pics.

My kids are great with snakes, both have had some good bites too. But a scrub might be a bit dangerous for them yet. also i have a small dog that is very used to being around snakes, I even put the dog away when i get my adult carpets out. My son has his heart set on a dragon, I've been trying to convince him to get a ridge tail monitor.
[doublepost=1530736391,1530735951][/doublepost]
My partner is not remotely interested in reptiles.
That could be a blessing. My wife hated snakes at the start, but as soon as she saw a bit of cash coming back she was all over it, now she's trying to take over. Telling me what pairings I should do, which babies to hold back. What snakes to buy. The worst is when she tells people bad advice, it makes me cringe. I have to pull her up all the time.

Gee, I wish my parents were like that. Mine were of the opinion that a good snake is a dead snake, although pythons were tolerated. They wasted no time drumming that train of thought into me and my sister's heads. Fortunately it didn't work. I grew up loving reptiles and my sister became vegan. Just shows that how a parent raises their child isn't as important as one would think. But it certainly helps.

My mother came over last night and (again) expressed her disapproval in my love of snakes. Her reasoning, Satan used a snake to manipulate eve. They are evil animals and the bible says they’re the most cunning of the beasts of the earth.

I reasoned to her with her own bible, that if she believes in Adam and Eve & Satan, then she believes in God. If you believe in God you believe in creation. God created snakes. (Genesis.1:25) A snake is one of Gods beloved creations mum and he made something for us all to love. Bunny rabbits for you, snakes for me. So get over it!!

(Not wanting to start a creation evolution debate);)

Last edited:
My mother came over last night and (again) expressed her disapproval in my love of snakes. Her reasoning, Satan used a snake to manipulate eve. They are evil animals and the bible says they’re the most cunning of the beasts of the earth.

I reasoned to her with her own bible, that if she believes in Adam and Eve & Satan, then she believes in God. If you believe in God you believe in creation. God created snakes. (Gen sis.1:25) A snake is one of Gods beloved creations mum and he made something for us all to love. Bunny rabbits for you, snakes for me. So get over it!!

Absolute GOLD!!
Did she accept your arguement?

Yes. She had no choice to, bc I only quoted her Bible. To further my argument, I suggested that the curse that God put on snakes in Genesis 3:15 ("Because you have done this, Cursed are you more than all cattle, And more than every beast of the field; On your belly you will go, And dust you will eat All the days of your life“) was not at the humble snake but at the devil. She believes I shouldn’t play with them because god cursed them. (I’m not even joking. I know hey, utterly laughable that this kind of daftness exists)

Snakes can’t talk. If the devil manipulated the snake to talk as per the bible and snakes can’t talk, it is therefore reasonable to say it can’t understand punishments from God, so the curse was not directed at the exploited snake. It was directed to the individual behind the serpent when you reference that story to me.

I explained this is later punctuated in the Bible by Satan being given other titles such as ‘original serpent’, or ‘serpent of old’ etc, one who Christ would ultimately prevail over.

Snap! Chew on that!

Mum thoroughly taught me the bible in my youth! Last night after my rebuttle, she said nothing and walked out of the room.

Edit: Also posed to her that the curse of ‘on your belly you will go to eat dust’ was a figurative reference to Satan who once enjoyed a glorified position in heaven but was then banished from heaven to be on earth. (Which he was, according to Revelation 7) Being on his belly, is a figurative reference, of grovelling instead of in his previous lofty position near God & eating of the dust / flicking of the tongue to be describing the debased state the devil will dwell in on earth.

Again, if she believed what she reads in the bible is true, then fine, but then logic would then assume that the curse had to be directed to the devil spoken of, not the lowly serpent in the story. Sorry Ma, your ‘God cursed them & they’re evil so you shouldn’t play with them’ argument is invalid, unintelligent and actually contrary to what you claim to believe if using the bible as your ‘truth’

Last edited:
(I’m not even joking. I know hey, utterly laughable that this kind of daftness exists)

Not wanting to tarnish anyones beliefs or start an online war on religion but while ever we have religions we will continue with this 'daftness' and much more beside. The cause of hatred, wars and all kinds of abuse for century's. You would think humans would have got past this yearning to believe in some alternate life form by now. (All my own opinion and if you want to start throwing rocks at me please direct all content to the following email [email protected])

I reasoned to her with her own bible, that if she believes in Adam and Eve & Satan, then she believes in God. If you believe in God you believe in creation. God created snakes. (Genesis.1:25) A snake is one of Gods beloved creations mum and he made something for us all to love. Bunny rabbits for you, snakes for me. So get over it!!

If you want to avoid bible conversations, just ask where Cain and Able's babies came from, their mother, or unnamed sisters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back