Thermostat HELP!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessie daley

Reaction score
F2745017-A807-41D5-85D2-33D812F330A4.jpeg Installing my new thromostat today, need some advice on where to install the thermometer, it’s for a Darwin python, so I’ve been told 30c is ideal, should the thermometer(temp reader) be on the basking ledge, under the heat lamps, or below the ledge?
My enitial though is that the ledge would get hotter before the rest of the enclosure, and would switch off the heat, therefore not accurately heating the whole tank.
But below the shelve would take the longest to heat, so I didn’t want to overheat the tank.

Any help would be appreciated, this is my first install
Will try to attach a photo, when I work out how

definitely place the probe on the top shelf, that way the top will be nice and warm and the bottom will be the cool end

Can I ask why you've got so many lights? I hope you realize that you only need to provide a basking spot and not heat the entire enclosure. Snake need a temperature gradient across the enclosure so they have somewhere they can cool down.

We where told my the guys at our local reptile store, we needed 1 basking lamp, 1 ceramic heat emitter, 1 uv, and 1 standard light, becuase our tank is soo tall. So I have the heat lamps on the thermostat, and the uv and normal light on the timer.
Is this correct?
[doublepost=1531293525,1531293428][/doublepost]C856F382-F4FF-4420-A3FE-DD54A2D0F18E.jpeg Can’t see in the photo, but the tank is Lshaped, so is a little bigger.

sounds like your reptile store is in it for the money, all u need is the CHE and thermostat
[doublepost=1531294868,1531294788][/doublepost]
we needed 1 basking lamp, 1 ceramic heat emitter, 1 uv, and 1 standard light,

Basking lamp and CHE are same thing, Uv/standard lights not needed for pythons

We where told my the guys at our local reptile store, we needed 1 basking lamp, 1 ceramic heat emitter, 1 uv, and 1 standard light,
yeah well selling three globes is better than one haha . Dont listen those guys for starters , they want your money!! First off no need for uv light or two different heating elements! Just run the ceramic in the socket above the shelf and place the probe on the shelf . As @GBWhite has said you definetely dont need to heat the entire enclosure! Pythons need to be able to thermoregulate .Personally i would aim for a bit higher than 30 for a darwins basking spot , go for like 35 . Pet shops and their terrible cash grabbing crappy advice !!!!!

yeah well selling three globes is better than one haha . Dont listen those guys for starters , they want your money!! First off no need for uv light or two different heating elements! Just run the ceramic in the socket above the shelf and place the probe on the shelf . As @GBWhite has said you definetely dont need to heat the entire enclosure! Pythons need to be able to thermoregulate .Personally i would aim for a bit higher than 30 for a darwins basking spot , go for like 35 . Pet shops and their terrible cash grabbing crappy advice !!!!!
Just like my pet shop tried selling me a "waterfall" for my coastal for 200$ or sometthing ridiculous because "its what they would drink in the wild"

I think you might have been duded by he guys at your local reptile store. Only need one basing light, no need for the ceramic heat emitter and no real need for a UV (some use them but they're not an absolute necessity for pythons). I suppose a low wattage light is okay if the enclosure is in a dark place but it would only need to be a 25 watt standard pearl. The enclosure looks pretty good but don't forget to add a couple of hides (one high and one low) as well as a decent sized water bowl.

We where told my the guys at our local reptile store, we needed 1 basking lamp, 1 ceramic heat emitter, 1 uv, and 1 standard light, becuase our tank is soo tall. So I have the heat lamps on the thermostat, and the uv and normal light on the timer.
Is this correct?

Wow, they saw you coming! At most you need one for heat and one for visible light. No doubt you could look in any of their own enclosures and see they're not so elaborate, and if you look at other people's enclosures you'll see that generally only one heat source is used, sometimes two.

I'm puzzled at anyone ever wanting to use ceramics - if you want to heat at night, use floor heat. The sun doesn't shine during the night, so if heat ever comes from above it comes with light, so just use a visible light. It seems so strange to me that they are so popular. Floor heat is cheaper, easier and better for night (or day if it doesn't come with light) heating, in the vast majority of cases. A Carpet Python wanting to stay warm at night will find somewhere underground or under something or just sit on the warm ground surface, not go up a tree to bask in heat coming down from the sky.

Anyway, it's a lovely looking enclosure, and the overengineering shouldn't hurt :)

Wow, that'll cost you about $100 a week to run! And you risk cooking your snake. One heat source only is needed, and maybe a light if you want. I never use lights for heat because they cost too much. belly heat every time, as Sdaji says, and I use a heat cord under the enclosure - cheap, efficient and easy to install. Your supplier saw you coming for miles - it is so disappointing that they do this...

Jamie

@Sdaji agree with your statement 100% about night heat but the benefit of using ceramics is they seem to last a very longtime compared to globes anyway

@Sdaji agree with your statement 100% about night heat but the benefit of using ceramics is they seem to last a very longtime compared to globes anyway

Nothing seems to outlast a heat cord, and I've seen some nifty ways people have made overhead heating using heat cords. Not that I would use overhead heating without light in almost any situation, but if I was going to, I wouldn't be using ceramics. They're still expensive compared to other options, more cumbersome (why would you use a light fitting unless it was for lights? Anything requiring a cage or potentially breakable is a hassle... why unnecessarily give yourself that hassle?), take up space... I just can't see why anyone would use one. The only legitimate application they have is to increase ambient heat, but there are far better options for doing that.

Then again, similar things could be said for the majority of the stuff sold in pet shops and to newbie keepers.

Yeah cord is definetely the best option ! But as the person already has that enclosure a globe would be the best option , doubles for day light and heat . Ceramics will probably last longer than a globe but lets be honest phillips spot globes are cheap as chips anyway .
[doublepost=1531297349,1531297115][/doublepost]Scrap my original advice and go the globe !!

Each to their own, I'd make my own head pad using a head cord and a routed piece of wood and be done with it, and remove the ceramic fittings and UV fittings, leaving only a basking lamp or two. Different people like using different things though. I personally just can't stand using stupid gear.

Actually, while I think that enclosure looks great, and with a few plants it would look absolutely brilliant, I personally cringe if I think about actually having something like that myself, because cleaning it would be such a headache, though other people would find it well worthwhile and love it. Again, we're all different and it's best to go with what personally suits us. Most people would cringe at my sterile looking setups, but for me the appearance is irrelevant and I take a minimalistic approach and focus exclusively on what the snake wants with zero regard for aesthetics.

25A0CBF4-5049-4C78-B9EE-6E0000C033F4.jpeg Hmmm I guess having some spare globes can’t hurt, I will definitely be taking the advice from everyone and cutting back on heating elements. I have a water bowl And some hides I made, drying out the back, so they arnt in the tank yet.
Licensing stuffed up and sent us last years paperwork, so we still can’t pick our new boy up for another 2weeks, while we wait for the new paperwork to be authorised.

It looks really good! Wish I had that sort of creativity

I’m not that creative trust me ahhahaha, I watched YouTube DIY Build videos for about 2 weeks before I attempted this.
Whole tank, has only cost me about $200-$250 so far.
As opposed to a $1500 quote

Aesthetically it certainly leaves every vivarium I've ever set up for dead! Looks great, and can't argue with the result in comparison to the cost! Great job!

Great looking enclosure.
I feel bad for local pet stores because they need to sell enough items to remain viable but it seems they constantly give people very bad advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back