13 y/o childrens python struggling to shed

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Love_snakes

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone could gi bnb e me advice on my old boy... just about 3 weekd ago he shed for the first time in a while and the shed along his spine will not budge... i waited a good week afterwards before giving him a warm bath to soak him and try get it off gently but again it would not budge so i didnt want to harm his scales... he has never had a problem shedding before and it has me a bit baffled. All advice welcome, thanks in advance. He is eating fine and seems his placid happy self... will attach photo of said stuck shed (he is in his feeding tank thats not his house)

THe bad shed is most likely due to it being winter, humidity drops.. shed is harder to get off

what i would recommend is to let him soak in a tub of TEPID (25~c)SHALLOW (so hes not floating or having to stick his head out too much, water should barely reach his back) for about an hour, giving regular check ups to make sure the water hasnt gone cold, at this point the shed will fall off like a nice slow cooked lamb :)

You can also add a container of warm water to the tank and cover up all vents, this will raise humidity greatly

Last edited:
THe bad shed is most likely due to it being winter, humidity drops.. shed is harder to get off

what i would recommend is to let him soak in a tub of TEPID (25~c)SHALLOW (so hes not floating or having to stick his head out too much, water should barely reach his back) for about an hour, giving regular check ups to make sure the water hasnt gone cold, at this point the shed will fall off like a nice slow cooked lamb :)

You can also add a container of warm water to the tank and cover up all vents, this will raise humidity greatly

Thank you so much, will give that a whirl :)

If a snake has a bad or patchy shed, always do the soaking as soon as possible after the event. The longer you leave it the drier the skin becomes and the more it adheres to the new skin underneath. I would never let it go longer than 24 hours, and preferably less.

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back