Maternal vs Artificial incubation

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jarrod

AussiePythons Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My spotted pythons have been hooking up on a regular basis and i am hopeful of eggs come late spring.I do have an incubator(converted bar fridge) however i am considering Maternal incubation after watching a recent Critter Cam episode on it.
Have read many books and done lots of study previously incubated Bearded dragon eggs in Vermiculite.
Wondering the following.
  1. What are peoples experience/opinion on Maternal vs Artificial
  2. How should a lay box be set up for Maternal incubation (currently use critter crumble as substrate)
  3. how do i, if i decide to use Artificial incubation Over water method stop hatching from ending up in water and drowning
  4. any general tips and hints from peoples experience that may help.
Thanks in advance :)

• What are peoples experience/opinion on Maternal vs Artificial
artificial has been know to provide higher success rates compared to maternal, some people prefer to allow the snake to baby sit for the "comfort" of the snake, rather than taking the eggs off them.

• How should a lay box be set up for Maternal incubation (currently use critter crumble as substrate)
Vermiculate mixed with water allows high humidity but no excess water to prevent drowning, you can also lay a "grill" of plastic over the vermiculite to keep the eggs out of it if you want.
  • how do i, if i decide to use Artificial incubation Over water method stop hatching from ending up in water and drowning
^^^ vermiculite will stop them from drowning, aswell as you can pip them and take them out just after they hatched and yolksack is gone
  • any general tips and hints from peoples experience that may help.

1. Only benefit of artificial incubation is that maternal incubation takes a lot out of mum and if she isn't in prime health prior to breeding season can take a long time to return her to her best. (No benefit in incubation rates AT ALL)

2. Lay box's I normally set up with moss regardless of incubation type. Give the moss a good dousing but not that wet that you can squeeze water out of it. No need to add extra water through incubation.

3. Not uncommon to use water crystals these days but just use a mesh above the water to sit the eggs on and be careful not to put too much water in the box so you can avoid splashing.

4. Dont breed anything unless you are fully prepared and can;
  • Provide appropriate housing for the hatchies for 6-12 months
  • Prepared for the stress of getting babies to eat including assist feeding techniques
  • Have appropriate food options for the hatchies
  • Happy to put up with idiots when you try selling the babies
  • Can afford to lose money on setting up/managing a single clutch

1. Only benefit of artificial incubation is that maternal incubation takes a lot out of mum and if she isn't in prime health prior to breeding season can take a long time to return her to her best. (No benefit in incubation rates AT ALL)

2. Lay box's I normally set up with moss regardless of incubation type. Give the moss a good dousing but not that wet that you can squeeze water out of it. No need to add extra water through incubation.

3. Not uncommon to use water crystals these days but just use a mesh above the water to sit the eggs on and be careful not to put too much water in the box so you can avoid splashing.

4. Dont breed anything unless you are fully prepared and can;
  • Provide appropriate housing for the hatchies for 6-12 months
  • Prepared for the stress of getting babies to eat including assist feeding techniques
  • Have appropriate food options for the hatchies
  • Happy to put up with idiots when you try selling the babies
  • Can afford to lose money on setting up/managing a single clutch
Some great advice thanks.do have hatchie rack ready to go and breed own mice.have previously had troublesome juvie snakes (admittedly only one at a time lol) have bred lizards previously and reckon i havemet most those idiots at selling time lmao. Been keeping snakes for over 25 years so sort of aware what i am in for and hopefully will enjoy the challenge and experience. Not in it to make money just the challenge and learning experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back