Need advice on a few things

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reggaered

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Im new to this forum. I joined because it seemed like a resourceful forum. Please remove this post if it is in the wrong section.

Ive got a few questions as I'm looking to buy either a stimsons python or a rough scale python.

Ive just recently bought a terrarium, and after lots of research im just getting more and more lost. I was thinking that id use a ceramic heat emitter with a reflector and sit it on top of my terrarium but stuck with how to set it up, what to use as a substrate, what kind of hides to get or whether to use a heat mat instead? I have so many questions as I'm overthinking everything but I want the snake that i buy to be as comfortable and happy as possible.

Sorry in advance for the confusing post.

With the hides decided what sanke you want first vefobe you buy some, a hide should create a safe space for your snake don't make it to big or to small. Hell you can even create your own hide if you please, with heating it sounds what type of bottom your terrarium is, if it's glass then I say get a heat mat, if it has a wood bottom then get the CHE.
Please do note I am new to the hobby and this is what I've gathers from asking questions and research, so don't just take my advice someone with more experience could help you out a bit more and even correct me if I'm wrong.

At least 2 small hides, one at each end of the enclosure so the snake can feel safe regardless of the area it chooses to be in.
For a small/young snake keep it simple with regards to substrate, newspaper, butchers paper or paper towel.
Water dish at the cool end.

Im assuming its a glass tank which I never recommend to anyone but it is what it is and will suffice but will be more difficult to heat. May be worth covering some of the outside so the snake doesn't feel so exposed and keep it out of any high traffic areas or draughts especially this time of year.

Heating I detest heat mats but not a fan of CHE either, in this set up I think the heat mat or a cord is probably your better option.

What sort of enclosure did you actually get, and what are the dimensions? Stimson's and Rough's are very different snakes that will typically go in different enclosures.

An adult Stimmie will generally want belly heat (via cord and tile). A good size enclosure would be around 90cm long and doesn't need to be high (they are not arboreal, though have been known to climb a little if the decorations allow it).

I have no experience with RSP's but understand they are climbers (arboreal), so you probably want a taller enclosure. There have been some good DIY heat cord projects posted on this forum for climbers.

I have gone with a reptile one rtf-900ht for terrarium. The dimensions are 90Lx45Wx60cm. I have to chosen to go with a RSP and run a large stick from the hot end to the cold end so he/she can choose where its comfortable. Its a fair sized RSP. Probably about 80cm. Thanks for all the advice guys, i really appreciate all the input. I shall have two hides and a water bowl at the cold end.

Would anyone recommend a certain thermostat and thermometer?

Thanks everyone!

For that sized enclosure, I feel a Stimmie would be better suited.

You don’t mention being new to snakes (I think), but I’m getting the impression you are- in which case, the RSP is probably not for you. Along with having some of the largest teeth in pythons, they’re also a bit more fiddly in terms of care.
Also a bit state-by-state regulation- some states restrict their keeping to advanced license holders, so check that out first.

Having a single branch running running from one end to another isn’t going to suffice for a species that needs to climb and perch at higher points. They’re an incredibly arboreal species which has been studied as spending the majority of its time up in the air- my Diamond who is also a fairly arboreal species spends 90% of his time up on his climbing frames and hanging hides- so much so the need for ground hides is at a zero.

They’re also a fairly large species- averaging at about 2m, so an enclosure like that will rather quickly be outgrown.

Personally I think that size enclosure would make a perfect setup for an adult Stimsons python. They’re known to be a much more docile python and don’t tend to be so ‘aggressive’ once settled. They’re also a bit smaller in size (1.2m being about as big as they’ll get). They’re a semi aboreal species and will use as much of the vertical space that is provided but again, a branch from one end to the other hardly provides any arboreal space

For that sized enclosure, I feel a Stimmie would be better suited.

You don’t mention being new to snakes (I think), but I’m getting the impression you are- in which case, the RSP is probably not for you. Along with having some of the largest teeth in pythons, they’re also a bit more fiddly in terms of care.
Also a bit state-by-state regulation- some states restrict their keeping to advanced license holders, so check that out first.

Having a single branch running running from one end to another isn’t going to suffice for a species that needs to climb and perch at higher points. They’re an incredibly arboreal species which has been studied as spending the majority of its time up in the air- my Diamond who is also a fairly arboreal species spends 90% of his time up on his climbing frames and hanging hides- so much so the need for ground hides is at a zero.

They’re also a fairly large species- averaging at about 2m, so an enclosure like that will rather quickly be outgrown.

Personally I think that size enclosure would make a perfect setup for an adult Stimsons python. They’re known to be a much more docile python and don’t tend to be so ‘aggressive’ once settled. They’re also a bit smaller in size (1.2m being about as big as they’ll get). They’re a semi aboreal species and will use as much of the vertical space that is provided but again, a branch from one end to the other hardly provides any arboreal space

Okay, i will take all of that into consideration. In that sized enclosure, what would create arboreal space?

Okay, i will take all of that into consideration. In that sized enclosure, what would create arboreal space?
A Thick branch straight through the middle of the tank

How would you suggest propping it up, as the tank is glass
You can get some of those suction cup things and have 3 of them on each end create a “wedge” to stop it jiggling

*one* branch wouldn’t suffice. You’d need several at various levels, and perhaps also several ‘platforms’ for the snake to sit and bask on

You can get some of those suction cup things and have 3 of them on each end create a “wedge” to stop it jiggling

Is it okay if you could take some photos of what you mean? I’d love to do something like this for my carpets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back