Is my Coastal Carpet Constipated?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PythonOwner

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Just a quick question, I have a 5 year old coastal carpet python and around 2 weeks ago I tried to feed him but he regurgitated it. Up until then I've had no problems with him and he has been very healthy with heating, newspaper bedding changed every 3 weeks or when he poos, fresh water and a ledge with a log bolted to the ledge to climb onto. Regarding the regurgitation, I cleaned the tank thoroughly and gave him fresh water, 2 weeks later (today) he woke up after being curled up in his corner and started acting very erratically while hissing and moving rather fast around his tank. He hasn't fully passed what he did manage to keep down and there is a visible mass near the end of his tail. I just wanted some general advice before contacting the vet in the morning.
Thank you very much :)

Last edited:
Regurgitation can be a sign of many things though at this time of year it is generally associated to the animal being unable to digest its food due to the cooler temps.
Might be a good idea to start by reviewing the temperature at the hot spot

Regurgitation can be a sign of many things though at this time of year it is generally associated to the animal being unable to digest its food due to the cooler temps.
Might be a good idea to start by reviewing the temperature at the hot spot
Hi! Thank you for your reply.
I do understand that at this time of year they get less active. And I did adjust the actual temperature by switching out for a medium temp rock covered by a familiar cloth to him so he can feel safe with it. It did seem to help a little bit through the night as I have been awake monitoring him closely until I'm able to call the vet.
I really appreciate the advice! Thank you very much :)

Give him a 10 min shallow lukewarm bath (supervised) a couple of times a day. The swimming motions sometimes help in getting rid of hardened and stuck faeces. If this doesn't resolve the problem, an experienced keeper could help you with an enema (syringe, ballpoint needle and water) or, it's of to the vet.
As Paul mentioned, this is the time of the year when a lot of inadequate husbandry practices cause problem. You can eliminate your kind of problem by not feeding him at all during winter. It won't harm him, on the contrary, you'll have a healthy and hungry snake every spring.
[doublepost=1534473528,1534473397][/doublepost]Give him a 10 min shallow lukewarm bath (supervised) a couple of times a day. The swimming motions sometimes help in getting rid of hardened and stuck faeces. If this doesn't resolve the problem, an experienced keeper could help you with an enema (syringe, ballpoint needle and water) or, it's of to the vet.
As Paul mentioned, this is the time of the year when a lot of inadequate husbandry practices cause problem. You can eliminate your kind of problem by not feeding him at all during winter. It won't harm him, on the contrary, you'll have a healthy and hungry snake every spring.
[doublepost=1534473695][/doublepost]Heat rocks are not good if the ambient temp is too low and he has food in the belly. They tend to hug the rock and thereby "cook" the faeces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back