Breeding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chloe.j.f

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, in 2-3 years I’d like to look at getting into breeding.

Is anyone able to give me the run down??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

don't do it! i have two kids and they're a nightmare. j/k, they're both awesome.
Ah... I knew someone would make the joke.

I was gonna reply “when you love someone a lot blah blah blah “

when two pythons love each other very much....
[doublepost=1536193371,1536186724][/doublepost]
IMG_20180726_170154_853.jpg

IMG_20180802_155138_906.jpg

IMG_20180828_080527_066.jpg

IMG_20180802_155202_866.jpg

[doublepost=1536193551][/doublepost]I think this girl will be the first of mine to pop this season
IMG_20180901_144549_651.jpg

[doublepost=1536193880][/doublepost]I think Suzuka will be next after Sandy. (yes i named a snake after the Babymetal singer.)
IMG_20180829_171357_427.jpg

I think this girl will be the first of mine to pop this season
View attachment 325196
I think Suzuka will be next after Sandy. (yes i named a snake after the Babymetal singer.)
View attachment 325197

One of my females looks like that all the time. I'd hate to see what she would look like gravid! :confused: Would an overweight female python become larger when gravid or would their bulk hide the development of eggs?

Would an overweight female python become larger when gravid or would their bulk hide the development of eggs?

Yes Kayla, typically even 'large' females will swell as the eggs develop.
That said 'fat' females can also lay a clutch of slugs if they aren't in a proper condition. I have had that with a rather large BHP we have but she has laid good clutches since she was brought back into shape.

I recently got a 3.5 year old breeding pair of hypo Bredlis, and although the previous owner was preparing them to breed this year, I don’t intend to do so because I have neither knowledge nor equipment to do so just yet. In addition to that, I am currently treating them both for very stubborn infestation of mites, so breeding is probably a bad idea.
The owner claimed they’ve successfully bred twice, which considering their age seems wrong. If true, maybe resting the female for a year or two would be better for her health?

And finally, I don’t want to breed snakes if no one would be interested in offspring.

I’d appreciate if someone could tell me whether they are worth breeding.

Gamora (female)
full

full

Loki (male)
full

full

I recently got a 3.5 year old breeding pair of hypo Bredlis, and although the previous owner was preparing them to breed this year, I don’t intend to do so because I have neither knowledge nor equipment to do so just yet. In addition to that, I am currently treating them both for very stubborn infestation of mites, so breeding is probably a bad idea.
The owner claimed they’ve successfully bred twice, which considering their age seems wrong. If true, maybe resting the female for a year or two would be better for her health?

And finally, I don’t want to breed snakes if no one would be interested in offspring.

I’d appreciate if someone could tell me whether they are worth breeding.

Gamora (female)
full

full

Loki (male)
full

full
I personally wouldn’t breed snakes for money (too many new breeders breeding for money, but not enough demand) but rather the experience and to learn.

Unless you can make a profit off the energy u pay for incubation+food+potential unable to sell for a year
I wouldn’t bother.

If you are looking to learn, breed your own food etc, go for it

I’d be interested to breed as a learning experience, as I don’t expect I’d get much profit out of it. It’s just a matter of whether it is worth doing it if the parents are not worth breeding from - not “financially worth”, but whether I’d be able to find homes for the babies.

Is the caramel a het albino? Have you produced sunglows before?

No but the offspring are hopefully het axanthic if the boy proves out. the zeb jag might be caramel so the offspring of that will also be het albino. I'm looking to make albino super zebs in a few years.
[doublepost=1536527406,1536527357][/doublepost]ok, that kind of doesn't make much sense, but it's early.

@LilithLeChat
While Bredlii are beautiful animals they are not 'in demand' so to speak so it could tale a while to sell the 30+ potential hatchlings.
Even if you do sell them you will probably run at a loss with the extra housing, food, incubator etc you are also going to need.

“In demand” part was exactly what I’m concerned about. If they were extraordinary looking animals whose offspring would be in demand, then it’d be worth doing it. But with plenty of similar-looking Bredlis around, it might be a struggle finding them new homes, and I have neither space nor money to house those I can’t find homes for. (And way too ethical for “oops, they escaped” or “oops they died” scenarios.)

There's also the option of only incubating a few eggs out of the clutch if you don't want to be over run with baby snakes. The eggs can be separated if you pull them apart very carefully.

Last edited:
One of my females looks like that all the time. I'd hate to see what she would look like gravid! :confused: Would an overweight female python become larger when gravid or would their bulk hide the development of eggs?

Overweight females very often fail to breed - good breeding condition doesn't mean fat...

Jamie

I have a few questions for this book with cooling and mating pythons there’s a chart for certain types of carpets and when to cool and when to mate but what if the pythons are crossed or mixed what are you supposed to go off ? Also another question for example the north western python the chart says to cool may June July and for mating it says may June July are you supposed to cool and introduce sat the same time ?? Or do cool for the whole 3 months sorry for the noob question but it’s abit confusing hopefully someone can answer my question thanks in advance

I didn’t breed last year but hoping to bang out a few axe combos this year. Next year I hope to shoot for a snow zebra!
[doublepost=1567389781,1565405750][/doublepost]
@Herptology this is a Good read I should read it again.

@Herp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back