Newbie making preparations for first snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jasey

Reaction score
Hi all! I've wanted a snake for as long as I can remember, but haven't been in a position to provide a good home for one until now. Now I live alone and think I'm finally ready to take on the commitment. I'm going for either a woma or a stimson's, since they're both ground-dwelling desert snakes with similar care requirements.

Right now I'm working on setting up an appropriate enclosure. I want to make sure I've got a fully set up enclosure and get some practice in controlling the temperature gradient before I go buying any snake. On that topic, what are the trusted brands of heat mat and thermostat in Australia? Most online resources are America-centric, but American electronics have different plugs on them.

Thanks, and it's nice to meet you all.

I'm in a very similar spot to you at the moment, literally in the process of testing my temps and such in planning for getting my first snake in a few weeks, aiming for a woma too.

I've opted for running a globe over a heat mat (custom made wooden enclosure), but the thermostat I opted for simply because of it's awesome functionality is the "microclimate evo lite", thing seems awesome so far for the control side of things, and has no shortage of options for any type of heating. It's a timer and thermostat in one, the only downside is it has UK plugs, but that's easily fixed with a few dollars worth of adapters from bunnings.

Womas are so cute, aren't they? I love their dumb little shovel faces. Though I love the red blotchy patterns you get with the stimsons, too. I'm having a real tough time choosing between them. ;) I might have to get a second snake someday so I can have both.

I've heard of the microclimate! Pretty expensive, but if it's good and reliable enough to be worth the price I don't mind shelling out. I hadn't thought of using adapters for overseas plugs.

I’ve seen people swear by the cheap 10$ thermostats from
eBay (the white ones)

Also seen people swear by microclimate and other expensive ones (100-200$) like habistat

Mine is https://www.kellyvillepets.com.au/p...MIvMPC9Pr03QIVGA4rCh1ykQe3EAQYASABEgIFcPD_BwE

(Didn’t pay that much, asked for a discount) only problem is it doesn’t have a timer for the heat side and only a timer for the light

Fixed the problem by buying a crest timer from target

Yeah womas are gorgeous looking little snakes, I hear they have pretty good personalities too which is a bit if a deciding factor for me on what one in choosing.

The microclimate evo lite is around 130, the normal evo that has two inputs is more around the 200 mark, they just have more options than most other thermostats, can set day night cycles, they work on pulse, dimming and on/off settings so you can plug them in to any type of heating and pretty much let them run, the touch screen isnt the highest quality but so far it does a great job without me having to get a secondary timer. It's basically a good little all in one.

Last edited:
I'm in a very similar spot to you at the moment, literally in the process of testing my temps and such in planning for getting my first snake in a few weeks, aiming for a woma too.

I've opted for running a globe over a heat mat (custom made wooden enclosure), but the thermostat I opted for simply because of it's awesome functionality is the "microclimate evo lite", thing seems awesome so far for the control side of things, and has no shortage of options for any type of heating. It's a timer and thermostat in one, the only downside is it has UK plugs, but that's easily fixed with a few dollars worth of adapters from bunnings.
Personally ive used the adaptors from bunnings. Theyre pretty idiot proof. One for my first snake and one for my last. (Also other appliances in everyday life) if you know how to cut a cord and strip the tip. Its simple as 1 2 3. Plus the instructions for anyone who doesnt know much about electronics and coloured wires.

Reasons i prefer to use these plugs are you only need to drill a 6mm slot in the enclosure rather than one to fit a whole plug through it and find a way to cover it somehow.

Tip: check the amp of the plugs. 15amp has a larger earthing plug (the bottom on of the 3) but the 10amp fits into majority of plugs. If you grab the 15amp just unscrew it from the plug and pull it out. Turn it into a 2 prong plug. Majority of appliances are 2 pronged anyhow. A positive and neutral.

Any other questions flick me a message. Can provide pictures and feedback.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

That's another perfectly fine way to do it too, I personally just used travel adapters as the UK plugs are actually a really good design, they have a small internal fuse to protect from surges, so essentially a small inbuilt rcd. But both methods work fine for using something with international plugs.

I wouldn't be messing with wiring unless you're a qualified sparky. I paid an electrician friend $50 per cabinet to hook up my heating, small price to pay for peace of mind.

Last time I told someone to solder a cable I got blasted (people saying I’ll be liable if they burn their house down and shiz )

Regardless of personal ability the problem with doing your own electrical work is a legal one and becomes very valid when you have an electrical fire and the insurance company wont pay out.
Plenty of people do their own electrical work but it would be negligent for anyone to recommend this course of action, especially as the competence of the person is unknown.

Womas are so cute, aren't they? I love their dumb little shovel faces. Though I love the red blotchy patterns you get with the stimsons, too. I'm having a real tough time choosing between them. ;) I might have to get a second snake someday so I can have both.

I've heard of the microclimate! Pretty expensive, but if it's good and reliable enough to be worth the price I don't mind shelling out. I hadn't thought of using adapters for overseas plugs.

With the choosing between snakes, I got a stimmie a couple days ago and he is absolutely gorgeous and very sweet. Apparently stimmies tend to go off their food sometimes so in that regard womas are better. Although, womas do tend to be more food reactive and may react to your hand going into the cage with food. Thats just my opinion though

Hi, I Am also in the process of constructing an enclosure for a 1 year old Children's python I plan to aquire. I have decided to build the enclosure from scraps including pallets and a fire place screen. So far I have spent just over $20 which was for wheels so I can move the enclosure inside if needed. Its 4x4x2.5 ft. I actually have no idea how to build, but I gave it a go anyway. I still need to spend some time making sure it is escape proof and I few other things. Ill be making a hide and adding some cleaned branches. I haven't decided on substrate yet but I will try to mimic nature. I have been reading over the threads regularly but have not really found what Im looking for. If anyone could please help me get this right I would very much appreciate it.
1. Do I need to use heating if my Children's is to be outdoor in warmer months?
2. Can I put a potted plant in the enclosure?
3. Things I need to change or consider.
Thank you.
20181120_220731.jpg

Make sure it’s waterproofed and and sealed, nothing like rotting enclosures ;)

Hi, I Am also in the process of constructing an enclosure for a 1 year old Children's python I plan to aquire. I have decided to build the enclosure from scraps including pallets and a fire place screen. So far I have spent just over $20 which was for wheels so I can move the enclosure inside if needed. Its 4x4x2.5 ft. I actually have no idea how to build, but I gave it a go anyway. I still need to spend some time making sure it is escape proof and I few other things. Ill be making a hide and adding some cleaned branches. I haven't decided on substrate yet but I will try to mimic nature. I have been reading over the threads regularly but have not really found what Im looking for. If anyone could please help me get this right I would very much appreciate it.
1. Do I need to use heating if my Children's is to be outdoor in warmer months?
2. Can I put a potted plant in the enclosure?
3. Things I need to change or consider.
Thank you. View attachment 325626

Make sure you provide plenty of shade spots and if you plan on going with no heat, it’s CRUCIAL you get sun placement right.

Too much sun will destroy the snake
Too little sun, won’t get enough heat

Wind drafts are a thing to consider

You will find almost all outdoor enclosures have some sort of heating element. Apart from diamond pythons who thrive in natural Sydney weather (again, it’s also important for diamonds to have proper weather protection.)

Also with children’s and other ants, I believe mesh is a no go, as they can squeeze right through, aswell as glass outside is a no go, turns the enclosure into a hot pocket of 40-50° hotter than needed

Thank you for your advice. It is very helpful. I will water proof, add 2 hides and shade. The mesh concerns me though now that you say they can squeeze through. Even small mesh?
Ill also do more research on the right type of heat source.

Thank you for your advice. It is very helpful. I will water proof, add 2 hides and shade. The mesh concerns me though now that you say they can squeeze through. Even small mesh?
Ill also do more research on the right type of heat source.

Rule of thumb if they can get their head through they can get through, and their head can get through things a little smaller than it looks. The problem with if you go for mesh that's "small" it's usually made from thinner metal, means it can be bent a bit too.

One thing no one has really mentioned is size of enclosure. I'd say starting small depending on the age. Over exposure is a thing too every snake is different.

I was thinking once furnished the space will be reduced. Was also going to make a smaller area inside which would act as an enclosure within an enlcosure with the option to explore the greater area.
Thank you for this great feedback.
I have a substrate question ... is slate ok to use? Would I then need to use floor heating?

looking at your pic it seems really big for a Childrens, they will only grow to about 1 metre so something about 60x60cm or even 90x60cm would do. Forget about mesh and use a glass front. My son has a Childrens in a 120x50cm enclosure and she only uses 1/2 of it and my yearling Childrens is still in a 45x45x60cm, he will eventually be in a 60x60x60cm.
If you use slate tiles you could put a heat cable underneath.

Thank you for your advice guys. I see the mesh was a bad idea. I will go with glass and a heat cable. Lots of posts out there about children's being better off in a small enclosure though I have seen one exploring an enclosure with dimensions similar to mine several years back, that's why I went with that size. I might see how she goes. If need be I will move her into something smaller and look at a more suitable species for the larger enclosure. It does surprise me that a snake would prefer less room to move over more room, but I am only novice. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back