MP Mark Robinson Kills Snake and Posts Photo on Facebook

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He's not going to be prosectuted but the impact to him by his own hand has been interesting. I saw articles in 3 on-line news papers covering this incident. Mud sticks and when you are in politics it tends to stick for a long time.

Don't forget, most QLDers hate snakes and this has likely helped him as much as hurt. It's good to see the vocal minority call him out and he totally deserves it, but while most people won't feel comfortable openly supporting him, votes aren't cast publicly.

It has been an interesting incident.

Had a Brissy member of another forum clearly state the other day that he got a call from his missus about a suspect brown hiding from their dog underneath a planter box in their backyard so his first point of call was to dump a pot of boiling water all over it. In the end turned out to be a blue tongue and rather than take it it to a vet he released it back across the road into a reserve. Doubt a BT having been doused in boiling water will survive long, and in severe pain for every minute! :mad:

Had a Brissy member of another forum clearly state the other day that he got a call from his missus about a suspect brown hiding from their dog underneath a planter box in their backyard so his first point of call was to dump a pot of boiling water all over it. In the end turned out to be a blue tongue and rather than take it it to a vet he released it back across the road into a reserve. Doubt a BT having been doused in boiling water will survive long, and in severe pain for every minute! :mad:

I've heard many people deal with snakes in that way :(

I've seen the same morons deliberately swerve their car to run over a blue tongue crossing a road, maybe making wildlife care part of the education curriculum instead of some of the other garbage kids are taught might be a good idea. The mainstream media could do more, like when covering snake stories point out it is illegal to injure any Australian reptile.

I've seen the same morons deliberately swerve their car to run over a blue tongue crossing a road, maybe making wildlife care part of the education curriculum instead of some of the other garbage kids are taught might be a good idea. The mainstream media could do more, like when covering snake stories point out it is illegal to injure any Australian reptile.

It is not unconditionally illegal to injure/kill any Australian reptile. If you believe it poses an immediate danger (even if it actually doesn't) you can legally kill it. Even the media isn't going to spread information that blatantly incorrect. Giving incorrect legal advice to the general public goes beyond the scope of lies the media will tell, even if its well within the scope of the herper community's lies.

The reason people kill lizards on the highway is not because they're unaware of the legalities or ethics, it's because they're sadistic scum, and education doesn't solve that. Schools already blast kids with the relevant 'be nice to animals' type messages. Most kids don't need this message, and the type of person who is going to be prone to running over a blue-tongued lizard gets more and more annoyed and frustrated by the attempts at banging the message out that they're later going to take the frustration out on a greater number of lizards (or maybe even emus or whatever).

If you imagine you are the type of person who likes to kill snakes, reading what herpers post would make you really heavily inclined to go out and kill more.

It is not unconditionally illegal to injure/kill any Australian reptile. If you believe it poses an immediate danger (even if it actually doesn't) you can legally kill it. Even the media isn't going to spread information that blatantly incorrect. Giving incorrect legal advice to the general public goes beyond the scope of lies the media will tell, even if its well within the scope of the herper community's lies.

The reason people kill lizards on the highway is not because they're unaware of the legalities or ethics, it's because they're sadistic scum, and education doesn't solve that. Schools already blast kids with the relevant 'be nice to animals' type messages. Most kids don't need this message, and the type of person who is going to be prone to running over a blue-tongued lizard gets more and more annoyed and frustrated by the attempts at banging the message out that they're later going to take the frustration out on a greater number of lizards (or maybe even emus or whatever).

If you imagine you are the type of person who likes to kill snakes, reading what herpers post would make you really heavily inclined to go out and kill more.

Sadly I think you are right ,as a truckie I see so many instances of deliberate killing or attempted killing I want to chase them down and bash them but I am (usually) a peaceful man, although it makes me angry to see this wanton disregard for life. Just because they are animals doesn't mean they deserve less respect than humans.

Sadly I think you are right ,as a truckie I see so many instances of deliberate killing or attempted killing I want to chase them down and bash them but I am (usually) a peaceful man, although it makes me angry to see this wanton disregard for life. Just because they are animals doesn't mean they deserve less respect than humans.
All this time I thought u were a woman o.o

Obviously I'm right, it's clearly stated in the laws, and I'm not aware of any country in the world which has any other legal situation when it comes to wildlife.

While there is virtually no realistic situation in which I can imagine a car being used to legitimately kill a snake, and killing one on the highway is just a terrible thing to do, to be realistic, we should (and virtually every sane person does) put human life above animal life. When push comes to shove virtually no sane person will sacrifice their life for a snake's or put a snake's life as equal to or above their own, and no human should be expected to. Silly virtue signaling aside, animals are not equal to humans, and when put on the spot even virtue signalers will show their true colours.

Sdaji , I think you missed the point I was trying to make.I wasn't disputing the law or the fact that people will put their family above animals,obviously the family comes first no matter what threat.I would kill to protect mine.
I was agreeing with you that that most of the people killing animals/reptiles/birds are a bunch of sadists who have no respect.Many start off torturing animals before progressing to human victims.

Sdaji , I think you missed the point I was trying to make.I wasn't disputing the law or the fact that people will put their family above animals,obviously the family comes first no matter what threat.I would kill to protect mine.
I was agreeing with you that that most of the people killing animals/reptiles/birds are a bunch of sadists who have no respect.Many start off torturing animals before progressing to human victims.

What was the point you say I missed?

On the latter issue, it's actually a myth. Not that I in any way condone or endorse cruelty to animals, but despite this myth being very commonly told, like much of what is regurgitated online, it is not supported by actual data. The psychological studies and the statistics actually show it to be false, but that doesn't really tell a story anyone particularly wants to hear or tell, so people ignore it. I'm one of those weirdos who puts fact checking above agenda pushing, even when the facts go against my agendas.

You are way off the mark, people who don't kill animals, or condone it being done are weirdos who are out of touch with nature. Killing a snake (or other animal) for the purpose of protecting yourself is normal. The opposite is weird. Reptile keeping involves killing heaps of animals, it seems a bit hypocritical to call someone else out for killing animals for safety reasons.

You are way off the mark, people who don't kill animals, or condone it being done are weirdos who are out of touch with nature. Killing a snake (or other animal) for the purpose of protecting yourself is normal. The opposite is weird. Reptile keeping involves killing heaps of animals, it seems a bit hypocritical to call someone else out for killing animals for safety reasons.
The only killing of animals that I can see is food for my reptiles,this is done humanely! It is totally a different thing to what some of these so called humans have done.I don't endorse killing for no reason or painfully ending life.If for some reason you must end a life do it quickly and humanely.

While yes- killing other species of animals is natural and normal, taking the humanity of humans is stupid. Killing an animal inhumanely/for no reason isn't human. Of course, we are still animals. Killing something that feels like a threat is normal and instinctual, same with killing to eat. the only difference between us and other apes is we're smarter, and yet so many of us still act just as primitive as we were a hundred thousand years ago. Kinda sad. I definitely find the person in question promoting the killing of snakes(/native fauna in general) and trying to argue and be stubborn against people who know 100% more than him about anything Australian other than politics as stupid and deserving of insulting, but considering he did probably think it was able to kill him(even if he did twist the story and act as if it had cornered him, which it most definitely did not) it still is technically legal, even if a lot of people think he does deserve at least to be fined. Just my 2 cents on the case.

This bloke is an absolute tool. One of the dumdums who have taken a page out of ‘bushy’ bob katters book and think buying an akubra from rm williams makes them authentic.

All this time I thought u were a woman o.o

And what does this crap bring to any thread?
[doublepost=1539856601,1539849519][/doublepost]Killing for food or for security reasons are really non negotiable. If a person believes they or their family members are at risk, (even if that belief is born of their own stupidity or lack of education).
Killing animals for 'fun' is a learned behaviour and though I think Sdaji is correct in that schools do already promote good animal welfare the type of psychopath that finds it fun to kill for no reason has learned this lack of morals/respect somewhere, normally the parents through their own irrational fears. Education is the only way to reduce the reckless killing.

And what does this crap bring to any thread?
[doublepost=1539856601,1539849519][/doublepost]Killing for food or for security reasons are really non negotiable. If a person believes they or their family members are at risk, (even if that belief is born of their own stupidity or lack of education).
Killing animals for 'fun' is a learned behaviour and though I think Sdaji is correct in that schools do already promote good animal welfare the type of psychopath that finds it fun to kill for no reason has learned this lack of morals/respect somewhere, normally the parents through their own irrational fears. Education is the only way to reduce the reckless killing.

I think it is a false belief that humans have no innate joy or love of killing animals. It would be completely bizarre if it wasn't in human nature to enjoy killing animals. When I find a tree covered in ripe berries, I feel great joy and I gleefully pick them. I like to see similar joy in people's faces in situations like that. We feel that way because our brain stimulates pleasure centres in the brain as a reward for finding food which will help our goals of survival, reproduction and social status. Even in a crazy world of political correctness and mind warping, almost everyone will agree with what I'm saying about the berries.

In the natural world where our DNA and instincts were being shaped and created, killing an animal meant much the same thing as finding a tree covered in berries, except more so. The food was of higher value and the social status rewards were greater, not only because you're bringing back better food value, but because people are more impressed by the skills of a successful hunt than someone who conquered a tree. Thus, we have strong drives to kill animals, and it is only through a distortion of the natural world in the modern world that people are often completely disconnected from that and develop a view of animals as auxilliary humans, along with being taught from a young age that killing or hurting them is bad and we should feel ashamed if we like it, etc etc.

Despite being obviously correct, the above has probably alienated most of the people who read it.

There are, of course, all sorts of reasons for having a desire or aversion to killing and/or harming animals, with good and bad ones on both sides, and some people have primarily bad reasons for wanting to kill, and pretty much all reasons for wanting to inflict pain and suffering are bad, but there are plenty of completely normal, natural, healthy instincts in most normal humans, especially males, for killing animals and finding it pleasurable.

Probably more truth than most people can handle, perhaps anyone else, but there it is.

And for the record, I personally have a very strong desire not to see anything suffer, even the worst criminals (I'm all for capital punishment in extreme cases but never for the 'string 'em up in public and make them suffer while we all watch' type mentality, which is remarkably common). I have no problem with killing animals for practical purposes as long as it's done as humanely as reasonably possible, and I don't think it's a problem if someone enjoys hunting. It requires a very strong disconnection from basic reality not to understand why normal humans can find pleasure in hunting or to think that it must be a learned behaviour.

It requires a very strong disconnection from basic reality not to understand why normal humans can find pleasure in hunting or to think that it must be a learned behaviour.

Then I must be disconnected Sadji as I see nothing pleasurable in hunting unless it has good reason. Maybe my DNA has developed a bit more than others from neanderthal man although Im not a vegan or even a vegetarian. I fail to see how someone can get a thrill from shooting an animal from 100's of meters away just to boost their obviously low testosterone levels.
I have never felt anything other than disgust for those who think its fun to go out trophy hunting and it has always pained me when confronted with the occasional situation where I have had to kill an animal.

Killing an animal to eat it because of hunger is justified and no one is saying differently. Would you pick those berries from the tree just to throw them on the floor and stamp on them? This just typifies to me everything that is wrong with the human race at the moment.

Then I must be disconnected Sadji as I see nothing pleasurable in hunting unless it has good reason. Maybe my DNA has developed a bit more than others from neanderthal man although Im not a vegan or even a vegetarian. I fail to see how someone can get a thrill from shooting an animal from 100's of meters away just to boost their obviously low testosterone levels.
I have never felt anything other than disgust for those who think its fun to go out trophy hunting and it has always pained me when confronted with the occasional situation where I have had to kill an animal.

Killing an animal to eat it because of hunger is justified and no one is saying differently. Would you pick those berries from the tree just to throw them on the floor and stamp on them? This just typifies to me everything that is wrong with the human race at the moment.

Wow.

If you can, calm down, read that again, and you'll see that you genuinely are quite disconnected from reality, and when confronted with reality it causes you pain and confusion, which causes an outburst like that.

You've used multiple classic, stereotypical false techniques there such as dodging the issue using false equivalencies and distraction, typical of people trying to avoid a reality they don't want to accept.

I could dissect and analyse your post, and it would be interesting, but it would obviously just rile you up and you're too emotional to process it, so I won't.

Stop triggering the NPC's lol

I think it is a false belief that humans have no innate joy or love of killing animals. It would be completely bizarre if it wasn't in human nature to enjoy killing animals.
I actually disagree with this at a nitpicking level. While I'm very much pro hunting, it is not actually killing that is enjoyable (for me anyway). Like you and I imagine many people on here, I have killed many thousands of rodents, I don't find it enjoyable at all. Hunting is good fun, but killing isn't really required, catching animals without hurting them or shooting them with cameras instead of guns is just as much fun IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back