how big do adult Bredlis get?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JessTL

Reaction score
Hello again, newbie here - well, we aren't owners yet... Looking at getting a Bredli, but there seems to be some mixed info on size. What is the average size & weight of an adult please? I know males & females are a little different & I also appreciate that there are of course variations. When we initially decided on a bredli, I'd seen it written that they get to 4-5' but since seen 7-8'... hoping that's just the 'whopper' end of the scale & not all that likely!

Of course, it must depend greatly how much theyre fed and seems to depend on age too, but how heavy do they get on av? Can't find that info anywhere.

Unless you starve them they'll all get over 4-5'. 8' would be a really big one, rarely they'll get even larger. They're a pretty typical Carpet Python size, maybe a little on the larger than average side.

Weight varies a lot and depends a huge amount on how fat they are. It can also change dramatically (up or down) in the same snake. Sounds like you'd do well to find the opportunity to play with a few Carpet Pythons of whatever type and get a feel for how large and heavy they are, and decide whether or not they suit you. I'm not sure how physically large you are, but I personally don't find a 7-8' snake to be all that big. If I'm working with a hundred of them I prefer something smaller and more easily manageable, but I think it's fun to have at least two or three nice big snakes in the collection, and 8' is only just sort of bordering on big and doesn't really cut it. Not that it's essential to have a big snake, but 8' isn't that big.

Sdaji, thanks again. Yeah I've handled big snakes before. I remember being handed a big Olive a while ago that was reasonably heavy & I think it was a lot bigger than 7'. My daughter(who's wanting one) is only small tho(13yo just little) - seems like she will just need a lot of help! ;-)

Sdaji, thanks again. Yeah I've handled big snakes before. I remember being handed a big Olive a while ago that was reasonably heavy & I think it was a lot bigger than 7'. My daughter(who's wanting one) is only small tho(13yo just little) - seems like she will just need a lot of help! ;-)
I guess with a “large” snake (a large bredl python can do damage, although unlikely) if you’re worried, just set in a rule of “another person must be present when handling/feeding/cleaning” or even just “if you are working with the snake let someone know”

Probably a bit over cautious but might put you at ease

Okay, for a 13 year old girl an 8' snake is very large. I personally wouldn't leave a 13 year old girl I was responsible for alone with a 8' (or 5') snake for more than a few seconds. Kids that age grow pretty quickly though, and as long as there's an adult around to help out it might be okay. For some kids it would be fine, others can't be trusted and that's your call to make. If she is planning to do most of the work herself or wants to be able to work with snakes unsupervised within the next year or two I'd suggest something smaller.

I think I got my first Carpet Pythons (one of which reached 9' and the other just over 10', they grew into particularly large adults) as hatchlings when I was about 16 or 17 years old. Before they got to 7-8' I had grown to 6'3" and was always completely comfortable handling them, although when I was about 18 or 19 I came fairly close to being killed by a large Olive Python, which was a bit of a wake up call in regard to large pythons, Then again, since that time I have caught wild Retics and Scrubbies larger than any Carpet Python without any assistance, even after having a friend killed by a python, so maybe I remain as stupid as ever.

There are plenty of fantastic pythons to choose from. Unless I was sure my 13 year old daughter was very responsible and I was willing to always supervise or take over, I'd start out with something smaller.

My bredli was a 'rescue snake' and according to what i was told he would be 5 years old now and is 7'. If you purchased a yearling now you could expect it to be 7' in 4 years by which time your daughter would be 17 and would have grown with the snake......Go the Bredli......

Last edited:
This is Rosetta, she's just over 8 feet long. One of the few snakes that my kids aren't allowed to handle. Not that she's mean or anything, I play with her a lot. But i have received a couple of feeding response bites from her, and when she coils around something she is very strong. 99% of the time she's calm, but better to be safe than sorry.
Rosetta 034.jpg

Okay, for a 13 year old girl an 8' snake is very large. I personally wouldn't leave a 13 year old girl I was responsible for alone with a 8' (or 5') snake for more than a few seconds. Kids that age grow pretty quickly though, and as long as there's an adult around to help out it might be okay. For some kids it would be fine, others can't be trusted and that's your call to make. If she is planning to do most of the work herself or wants to be able to work with snakes unsupervised within the next year or two I'd suggest something smaller.

I think I got my first Carpet Pythons (one of which reached 9' and the other just over 10', they grew into particularly large adults) as hatchlings when I was about 16 or 17 years old. Before they got to 7-8' I had grown to 6'3" and was always completely comfortable handling them, although when I was about 18 or 19 I came fairly close to being killed by a large Olive Python, which was a bit of a wake up call in regard to large pythons, Then again, since that time I have caught wild Retics and Scrubbies larger than any Carpet Python without any assistance, even after having a friend killed by a python, so maybe I remain as stupid as ever.

There are plenty of fantastic pythons to choose from. Unless I was sure my 13 year old daughter was very responsible and I was willing to always supervise or take over, I'd start out with something smaller.
Nearly killed by an olive? Wow that’s pretty hectic mate glad you came out ok. I can def see how they could be quite dangerous. What exactly happened? That’s if you don’t mind speaking about it of course.

Nearly killed by an olive? Wow that’s pretty hectic mate glad you came out ok. I can def see how they could be quite dangerous. What exactly happened? That’s if you don’t mind speaking about it of course.

I was playing with a large Olive alone, it decided to constrict me, I was scarcely able to get it off and was getting light headed by the time I did. For some time I was unsure if I was going to manage. A valuable lesson for a kid who needed to learn he wasn't invincible. Not that it stopped me playing with 10'+ pythons alone, but I was always much more careful after that.

A bottle of vodka will get them to release better than a knife and you can drink it to relieve the pain.

I was playing with a large Olive alone, it decided to constrict me, I was scarcely able to get it off and was getting light headed by the time I did. For some time I was unsure if I was going to manage. A valuable lesson for a kid who needed to learn he wasn't invincible. Not that it stopped me playing with 10'+ pythons alone, but I was always much more careful after that.
That’s crazy. Literally just got home from me mates after having a hold of his baby 4 foot olive. I showed him this story while I was there. Still can’t get over it’s feeding response. Such a placid snake when there are no rats in the room. Thanks for the reply

There is a rumour that a well known snake person had his hand and arm swallowed by a large olive he was feeding, up to his armpit before help arrived.

There is a rumour that a well known snake person had his hand and arm swallowed by a large olive he was feeding, up to his armpit before help arrived.

That would be possible, but you'd have to either not want to hurt the snake (not surprising if it's a well known snake person) or incredibly stupid or squeamish or something. I suppose if you were terrified or in shock or something, as I suppose many people would be, you may just freak out and act in a stupid way (panic and do nothing for example). I haven't heard the story but it's believable,and many snake enthusiasts including myself would be reluctant to harm the snake unless their life was in danger, and some would be silly enough not to hard the snake even if it meant risking their own life. I've had fingers swallowed up to my hand (if I wanted to I could have used alcohol or held the snakes underwater to make them release, or killed/injured the snake to stop it).

I was cleaning out Rosetta's enclosure once and she grabbed my hand, as i tried to get the coils off my arm she wrapped up the other arm. So i was handcuffed and there was no way i could get free. The coils were too big to get her under a tap. My daughter was freaking out too much to pour water on it. I ended up having to wake my wife up to help.

I was cleaning out Rosetta's enclosure once and she grabbed my hand, as i tried to get the coils off my arm she wrapped up the other arm. So i was handcuffed and there was no way i could get free. The coils were too big to get her under a tap. My daughter was freaking out too much to pour water on it. I ended up having to wake my wife up to help.

I remember being 'handcuffed' by Carpet Pythons when I was a teenager and fairly new to snakes. It happened to me without me really seeing it coming. Hasn't happened for over 20 years now so I must have figured something out :p

I sure learned my lesson. that's why I was able to get a pic this time. I am still learning new things everyday. like, don't pat the dog and then try to move a big hungry python. lol. Not sure if that's what triggered her or if it was something else. But I'm not doing that again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back