Breeding female carpet young

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neil j

Reaction score
Or feeding them up to try.......
Why is is it so frowned upon?
Is it the wrong thing to do?
After reading a lot of post on the topic I finally found a thread where some people came forward and said you can feed them as much as you want while young. Although they did not mention breeding at 18 months.

its like a 13 year old kid having a kid. They "CAN" but should they?

Clutch numbers are usually a lot smaller, the parent snake tends to die.
Its only often done to start a line for breeders to make a tonne of $$$ like the albino olives were 10k a hatchling or something at the start, so instead of waiting 3-4 years to breed 2 parents, they wait 18months but power feed 2 smaller items every 4-5 days, the smaller feeds digest quicker so they are ready to eat again and grow more

Yeah I believe mine are all het axanthic see. If I was to wait another year all my hets would be up to size which equals a lot of 66% hets.
If I can get some visual males it gives me a head start.
I didn’t breed anything this year another year would kill me. Money aside I’d like to see my females next year after keeping food up to them.

the parent snake tends to die.

Exaggeration much?

This story is told because experienced breeders don't want competition and newbies don't want to argue, and people like me who don't care if they get abused are rare. I was breeding snakes young long ago and many of those young girls are now happy old ladies. Of all the snakes I grew fast and bred young, exactly zero were killed by it.

Can the people saying 'they tend to die' actually give examples of snakes being killed by it? In the rare cases I've had with egg binding etc, none were having their first clutches at a young age. Most of the people telling you not to do it are newbies with little to no breeding experience, and comically, the big breeders generally grow their stuff fast, breed early, and often tell people not to do it themselves and don't point out their own timeframes. Actually watch when you hear about the big name breeders getting special animals and keep track of when they breed them. It's very funny.

Thanks Sdaji! Just looking at my girls and I don’t think they going to be big enough next season. Maybe one or two will be. Fingers crossed.
[doublepost=1540975250,1540965389][/doublepost]https://ibb.co/nMt3f0
https://ibb.co/g57ktL
https://ibb.co/gqS77f
[doublepost=1540975479][/doublepost]Het ax jungle female she was a 29 gram hatchling. Loves rats. I’d like her to be at least 1500 grams

Male zeb het ax to use on her

And my biggest dbl het girl. 2kg ideally but I’m going to try breed her at 1500 if she makes it

I don't go on weights as much as appearance, although that requires experience with snakes in general and the specific species you're working with. Best of luck with yours! :)

One thing I'm sure we can agree on, is that in nature, males will breed with females on the edge of being ready, and whether or not they produce a clutch depends on whether or not their body says they're ready, not whether or not some person decides it's right. Amusingly, these 'don't breed too early' people are the same ones usually saying 'don't feed too much because it's not natural'.

Make up your mind and be consistent, folks! ;)

Agreed but I got nothing against people who say 3-4 years. Not to contradict what you have said but the animals may be healthier in the short term and breed year in year out when they are ready. I don’t know.
If I get a clutch From a yearling I would not continue feeding that individual at that rate and give years off

I’ve always bred at 2.5 going off appearance. But I have seen a lot of people breed them as yearlings I’d like to see what a few of mine are capable of next year, learning hands on! I’ve been feeding heavy but they are looking fat so a break and from now on a large meal once a week and see how they look. A small clutch would be better then nothing at all. I got nothing doing otherwise choosing not to breed anything with a cloaca, I sold off all my adults.

Once again Sdaji, thanks very much for your support. Gives me hope and peace of mind.

Last edited:
Agreed but I got nothing against people who say 3-4 years. Not to contradict what you have said but the animals may be healthier in the short term and breed year in year out when they are ready. I don’t know.
If I get a clutch From a yearling I would not continue feeding that individual at that rate and give years off

I’ve always bred at 2.5 going off appearance. But I have seen a lot of people breed them as yearlings I’d like to see what a few of mine are capable of next year, learning hands on! I’ve been feeding heavy but they are looking fat so a break and from now on a large meal once a week and see how they look. A small clutch would be better then nothing at all. I got nothing doing otherwise choosing not to breed anything with a cloaca, I sold off all my adults.

Once again Sdaji, thanks very much for your support. Gives me hope and peace of mind.

I have nothing against people who choose to wait 3-4 years, but I generally dislike people telling anyone else what to do. They 'may be' healthier if left older, or they 'may be' healthier if bred earlier. They 'may be' healthier if you never breed them at all. All you're doing is speculating.

I've never known of a confirmed breeding of any pythons as yearlings. I know of males and females copulating at under a year of age (I don't know of any definite cases of males actually fathering clutches at under a year though). The youngest successful reproduction I know of is mating around 18 months of age with eggs hatching when the parents are about 2 years of age (both sexes). I've routinely done this with some species. It's easy with male Carpets but I found it a bit of a stretch with Carpet females, which I found took 2.5 years to mature (their babies hatched when they were about 3 years old). Then again, I haven't attempted to keep or breed Carpets for quite a long time now and I certainly have methods of growing and breeding snakes earlier than I did back then.

Thanks for the additional info mate. I dare say they will be 2.5 when they do breed. But being told I can’t breed them or try at 18 month did leave a sour taste in my mouth although it is reasonable.
I thank you again my friend.
[doublepost=1546757200,1541069462][/doublepost]They are on 250g + rats now fed them last night fortnightly...

8F3BC11C-FAD1-42E8-A8D8-6226E0F0676C.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back