Gecko ID

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bl69aze

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score

Found this dude out the back, first of this kind I’ve seen , usually it’s leaf tails

very active

It’s very pretty though

I know it’s not a AHG or leaf tail

NSW

Last edited:
Does kinda look like a bynoe gecko but I’m no expert.
I was catching the geckos off my house to feed to a burtons legless lizard I found but the geckos are smart you know they don’t come out if they feel threatened.
Long storey short I let my Burton’s go down the scrub. I think it was the right thing to do.

Does kinda look like a bynoe gecko but I’m no expert.
I was catching the geckos off my house to feed to a burtons legless lizard I found but the geckos are smart you know they don’t come out if they feel threatened.
Long storey short I let my Burton’s go down the scrub. I think it was the right thing to do.
Good try I suppose, but it has no bumps or spikes, :O

Well I’m not second guessing I’m saying it’s a barking bynoe gecko same thing as the ahg

Looks to be a marbled gecko (Christinus marmoratus), but NSW is a rather large place and my gecko identification is a bit rusty. Could you please narrow down the area a bit to make things easier?

Well I’m not second guessing I’m saying it’s a barking bynoe gecko same thing as the ahg
What are you on about? The two species of gecko you've mentioned look nothing alike and neither are the species photographed here. I recommend you accept that your identification was wrong, have a decent look as to why you were wrong, and use this as a learning experience.

Cheers, Cameron

Yeah ok Cameron. I admit I’m wrong. You know the gecko I find are ahg. Some of them have pattern and look like this one. Further more I thought they were the same thing a bynoe. Looked liked it to me. I’m very sorry mate.

Last edited:
Looks to be a marbled gecko (Christinus marmoratus), but NSW is a rather large place and my gecko identification is a bit rusty. Could you please narrow down the area a bit to make things easier?

What are you on about? The two species of gecko you've mentioned look nothing alike and neither are the species photographed here. I recommend you accept that your identification was wrong, have a decent look as to why you were wrong, and use this as a learning experience.

Cheers, Cameron

Thanks Cam :)
Western Sydney Blacktown / parramatta

Anyways long story short my legless lizard loved them often leaping from his substrate to smash the gecko

Yeah ok Cameron. I admit I’m wrong. But for my further learning bynoe geckos are not the same as Asian house geckos? I get the patterned ones up the shed. Do they interbreed?
They're certainly not. For one thing, byone's are a strictly terrestrial species that lack toe pads for climbing, so you'll never see them up hanging off a shed wall. That and byone's geckos are not found in near Sydney. And no they do not interbreed.

Best advice I can give you is go out and purchase a decent reptile field guide. The 5th edition of Reptiles of Australia by Steve Wilison and Gerry Swan will be your best bet. Have a look through that, have a look on sites such as the Australian online reptile database along with reptile photography pages to begin to get your head around identifying species. Also, do not focus on colour and pattern when trying to identify species. Instead look at their morphology (head shape, number of toes, presence or absence of tubules/spines, etc.), which will make identifying animals a lot easier for yourself. The colour and pattern of a species should be one of the last features you use to verify your identification.

Cheers, Cameron

Thanks mate, I got that book but don’t get to use it as all the gecko I find here are ahg. Despite living at the base of dyander nation park QLD where a number of species live I never found any thing but ahg. Patterned ones and patternless ones. Barking little ****ers. And yeah I actually thought the patterned ones where a diff species lol

Well here I am.. looking at geckos in the region and only focusing on their pattern

Certainly does look like a Marbled Gecko. If it is then it must be a hitchhiker because Sydney is way out of its range.

Certainly does look like a Marbled Gecko. If it is then it must be a hitchhiker because Sydney is way out of its range.

Cheers, Cameron

You 2 are both correct, someone posted a pic on Facebook from Melbourne that looked the exact same and was ID as a marble gecko by multiple people

Thanks heaps :) he was found on a plastic bag so it’s possible he hitched a ride from somewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back