Possible Jag?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LilithLeChat

Reaction score
My sister-in-law adopted this little one from a reptile rescue. As it was brought in to the rescue by a snake catcher, there was no history or any info on its origin. It was vet checked and microchipped and shown as healthy female and eating well (on pinkies at the moment). When she showed someone the pictures, she was told it’s a jag.

Can someone confirm whether it is a jag? If it is, what can my sister-in-law expect in terms of possible neuro problems? She’s committed to giving it a good life for as long as it doesn’t have any problems that would seriously impact its quality of life.

full

full

full

full

Looks like a jag. There is no way to know for sure with out knowing parents or breeding it. But definitely looks like a jag to me.

She is a 53gram hatchling, hence the pinkies, We arre pretty sure nothing else will fit in her tiny mouth for a couple more weeks ☺

Mice. She is very small.
[doublepost=1543531140,1543530867][/doublepost]I am happy to change though if more appropriate. However the Reptile Vet said keep her on those for a few weeks because she is so young.

https://ibb.co/VqdC4Sj
Buy tweenty fuzzies and twenty weaners for it. Feed it regularly. I got this one small it’s taken three weaners In a sitting it will go to adults soon. Also feed rats if it’ll take them.

Last edited:
Thank you. I am used to dealing with my sons 7ft Bredli lap snake so a tiny baby and being my first is daunting. Especially when the others in the clutch were jag sibs confirmed and I ended up with the only jag. She will be very loved and spoiled here though, just like our others. Even a lost jag deserves a loving home whether she is fine for a year or 20.

53g will take 10g feeds weekly easy.

As you probably know by now there’s a high chance it will show signs of “neurological issues” and will be anywhere from moderate to severe.

If it DOES get out of control (going up and falling down on itself etc flipping out and stuff) I would recommend getting it put down, unfortunately jags are like the bulldogs of the dog worlds and carry health problems
[doublepost=1543533606,1543533425][/doublepost] Here is a quick video I found, I would consider this moderate

Came to the wrong place to mount a defence but they aren’t that bad.
Snake in the video is under a lot of stress in that cage and is not moderate, it’s proper ****ed. Probably overseas.
[doublepost=1543534776,1543534500][/doublepost]Nothing wrong with bull dogs either.
https://ibb.co/Z1zPG9v

This ones about the same size, I rarely feed pinky mice to even new hatchlings of any carpets, it is far more appealing to them to eat something with skin and fur and a pinky mouse or rat has no substance and very little nutrition. In the wild they would be eating frogs and lizards at that age.
IMG_5570.jpg

The biggest concern for us is how bad does it get, and to put it bluntly, what are the signs that the kindest thing to do is euthanasia.
She is in a click clack with a hide, water dish and a few branches she can climb on, with heating under 1/3 of the click clack and temp gradient 33-25 degrees. There’s a towel around 3 sides of the click clack for privacy and to avoid stress.
She was brought home on Wednesday and after a few hours in the hide, climbed up on the branch and seems to show preference to be up high. While she’s moving around, there seems to be a bit of jerkiness and wobble, but to me it didn’t look more pronounced than how my Diamond moved when she was that size. She also doesn’t seem to have any trouble climbing and staying perched.

We’re aware that some hatchlings start off good and get worse, and that stress can bring on a neuro episode. I suspect that each jag would be different, but any info on what can be expected is more than welcome.

Edited to ask: can too high/too low temperature bring on a neuro episode? UVB light - yes or no, and what intensity?

Does it get worse? No
Does it get better? No
When should I cull it? Never
Do they have episodes? When stressed. Breeding season etc
What like? Extreme cases Corkscrewing looping going upside down tie them self in a knot momentary loss of motor function.
Does the animal suffer? No
Is it in pain? No
Are they all different? Yes
High temps? possibly during incubation.
Are neuro problems associated with jags often barely noticable? Yes
Are they great pets? No

Ps I haven’t a great deal to do with them. Bred them four or five times.

Last edited:
Mice. She is very small.
[doublepost=1543531140,1543530867][/doublepost]I am happy to change though if more appropriate. However the Reptile Vet said keep her on those for a few weeks because she is so young.

You'd be surprized what a hatchling Carpet can take. I have females nesting the the scrub at the back of my place and it's not uncommon to find hatchlings (that I estimate to be no more that 4-6 weeks old) in my mice breeding boxes that have made a meal of a full grown adult mouse. They stay in the breeding box after they've eaten it because the can't get out once they've had a meal...the bulge in the bellies stops then getting back out through the gaps in the wire lids...hahaha.

DSCN0340.JPG

Last edited:
I appreciate the people giving helpful advice. Thank you all.

I will not "cull" her because of some peoples opinions. We adopted from the homeless herp program for a reason. Her two sibling that were there were definately jag sibs and safe from issues according to a breeder and the vets. We did not realise she may have been full Jag until late that day.
She will not be bred from. Our snakes are pets.
The whole reason of this post is opinions on identifying her as a jag sib or full jag so we can give her the bedt life possibl.
She is a living breathing happy little reptile who is still yet to even threaten to nip and all animals deserve a forever home. I take commitment seriously and no animal should be kicked to the curb on a maybe having issues down the track in my opinion.
[doublepost=1543545640,1543545379][/doublepost]
This ones about the same size, I rarely feed pinky mice to even new hatchlings of any carpets, it is far more appealing to them to eat something with skin and fur and a pinky mouse or rat has no substance and very little nutrition. In the wild they would be eating frogs and lizards at that age.
View attachment 325686
Oh my gosh that one has almost the same marking on its head as mine lol mine is far lighter though. Is this a jaguar?

I appreciate the people giving helpful advice. Thank you all.

I will not "cull" her because of some peoples opinions. We adopted from the homeless herp program for a reason. Her two sibling that were there were definately jag sibs and safe from issues according to a breeder and the vets. We did not realise she may have been full Jag until late that day.
She will not be bred from. Our snakes are pets.
The whole reason of this post is opinions on identifying her as a jag sib or full jag so we can give her the bedt life possibl.
She is a living breathing happy little reptile who is still yet to even threaten to nip and all animals deserve a forever home. I take commitment seriously and no animal should be kicked to the curb on a maybe having issues down the track in my opinion.
[doublepost=1543545640,1543545379][/doublepost]
Oh my gosh that one has almost the same marking on its head as mine lol mine is far lighter though. Is this a jaguar?

No that's a hatchling Julatten jungle (photo taken last year - not my current lot just hatched), no jag blood. The skull marking is classic jungle python and your jag probably is part jungle.

@GBWhite , I assume you have to release the wild ones back nearby? Do they come back for more?
Actually, what is the practice with relocating wild hatchlings? I guess a wild adult can be relocated far from your property, but wouldn’t hatchlings stay closer to where they were hatched until they’re big enough to start carving out their own territory?

Last edited:
@GBWhite , I assume you have to release the wild ones back nearby? Do they come back for more?
Actually, what is the practice with relocating wild hatchlings? I guess a wild adult can be relocated far from your property, but wouldn’t hatchlings stay closer to where they were hatched until they’re big enough to start carving out their own territory?

I just put them back over the fence into the scrub at the back of my house. Probably get some that revisit but I get so many juveniles, sub-adults and adults in my place throughout the year that it's too hard to tell what's what and who's who.:(:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back