Possible Jag?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just put them back over the fence into the scrub at the back of my house. Probably get some that revisit but I get so many juveniles, sub-adults and adults in my place throughout the year that it's too hard to tell what's what and who's who.:(:)
I don't get many big carpets at my place mostly smaller than 1.5m and I have wondered if it's because of the cane toads, maybe they die as soon as they are big enough to eat them but there are small cane toads too. I relocate them away from my aviaries and rodents and they don't seem to come back.

That's one of things I miss about breeding rodents the surprise visitors. BTS carpets spotteds. The last spotted got chewed to death by my rats though. Had a lot of return visits to.

No that's a hatchling Julatten jungle (photo taken last year - not my current lot just hatched), no jag blood. The skull marking is classic jungle python and your jag probably is part jungle.
I should know that lol my sister in law just told me who you are ☺

Sorry if you disagree but the jag gene is worse than an anti vacc parent

And you’re right about people’s opinion to “cull” them, and there’s a reason for it, they are a mistake to the carpet python world and should be gotten rid of ASAP if it’s showing signs of neuro , I’m not the first or last you will hear that

Also not sure where @Neil j heard that it doesn’t get worse or better.. it definitely gets worse over age where it could start with a head bobble while young to the same as in that vid where it’s all over the place. It’d be quite hard to raise a snake that can’t even look in the direction of its food when striking and would need some assistance

But to each their own, just know there’s no cure and it’s quite distressing to see it in person and you will think twice about them needing homes

It’s almost similar to cats having cerebellar hypodisplasia although cats learn to control it they still flop all over the place

https://buttongeckos.weebly.com/blog/carpet-python-jaguar-gene

A good read

@LilithLeChat the decision should be made once it starts affecting the snakes life, when it has difficulty eating can’t climb properly etc

Last edited:
Part where you tag me.
I didn’t hear that blaze it is from my own experience (hands on experience from actually owning jags) they can get better and they can get worse. Depending on how they are looked after. But the fact is they all have it and it’s always there they just don’t show it.
[doublepost=1543557555,1543557212][/doublepost]And at no point will a jag not feed or climb properly

Part where you tag me.
I didn’t hear that blaze it is from my own experience (hands on experience from actually owning jags) they can get better and they can get worse. Depending on how they are looked after. But the fact is they all have it and it’s always there they just don’t show it.
[doublepost=1543557555,1543557212][/doublepost]And at no point will a jag not feed or climb properly
Not being rude, but you must have some funny Jags, they’re quite well known for “spasming” and losing the contraction down their body which can cause them to essentially let go and fall off

You will find they strike at the food a lot, like a drunk person throwing punches

So do the sibs it’s a coastal thing
[doublepost=1543559358,1543558841][/doublepost]I’ve had roughies and a gtp which fell more. Jags are fine when left to their own. I only have one and it is het ax and 75% jungle.

CC739CC2-F943-4A5F-9F1D-CFB1C5387FCA.jpeg

No that's a hatchling Julatten jungle (photo taken last year - not my current lot just hatched), no jag blood. The skull marking is classic jungle python and your jag probably is part jungle.
Lets keep fingers crossed on the part jungle. It may help keep neuro issues to a minimim

I read a paper from a breeder who stated that he & various of his breeder acquaintances found a definite link between using chemical cleaning products & JAG Neuro.
http://www.acreptiles.com/main/inde...ptoms&format=pdf&option=com_content&Itemid=68
I don't know how fully accurate it is but it's worth noting perhaps just to stay away from chemical cleaners just as a precaution in general if you have a suspected a JAG.
It can't hurt & might potentially save a life ;)

@Yellowtail and @Neil j

Sprite's first ever fuzzy is defrosting currently and we are hoping she takes that tonight.

I have a question for you both though, would you give her two feeds a week of fuzzies while she gets the hang of them or two fuzzies a feed? Cheers Ironrose.

@Yellowtail and @Neil j

Sprite's first ever fuzzy is defrosting currently and we are hoping she takes that tonight.

I have a question for you both though, would you give her two feeds a week of fuzzies while she gets the hang of them or two fuzzies a feed? Cheers Ironrose.
Ideally one large fuzzy a week is good, if Sprite takes 2 or more at a sitting you probably should upsize.

I’d chuck it onto hoppers once a week, will take 2days max to digest at the right basking temps

FEBE13F0-B150-4578-8EBC-65C4820369F7.jpeg

If you’re worried about it being too big, check this out, it’s about 10x the size of his head (from that angle) but head on and it’s an easy fit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back