First Freeloader for this Summer

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBWhite

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Found this guy/gal behind the TV cabinet in our lounge room with a belly full of something or other this morning. It was pretty hot here yesterday (40 deg C) and a muggy night last night must have got it on the move. Obviously came in through the dog door looking for a cool place to chill....:cool::)

DSCN1416.JPG

That is awesome. Wonder what it had just gorged itself on? Lol

My intruders have not succeeded in feeding on my animals yet but they try, I've stopped taking photos because it's happening almost every hot night. The cockies are so used to them they don't panic just screech in a particular way to get my attention to remove them.

IMG_2385.jpg IMG_2380.jpg

Last year I walked into my dragon enclose to almost stand on big fat carpet python with either a full grown ringtail or small brush tail inside. They fat critter was too heavy and snapped the zippy ties that hold the mesh on the roof together. Had a brown snake try to get in the door recently, not posting the pics here though...

Few spent shell casings in the photo?

Nah, I didn't have a semiauto. There are times when spending your later childhood shooting hundreds of toads in the neck vertebrae translates into practical self defense skills. The snake was not attacking me, but was cruising directly towards me and about to get in the door. It is one of those cases that would be translated into a snake deliberately targeting a person to kill them by the average person. All it really wanted to do is invade my home.

It would be illegal for me to tail it to move it away, as I don't pay to be authorized to do such a thing. My only legal option was to blast it. Interestingly, the local lacies didn't eat it until it started to rot and only ate the tail end.

Nah, I didn't have a semiauto. There are times when spending your later childhood shooting hundreds of toads in the neck vertebrae translates into practical self defense skills. The snake was not attacking me, but was cruising directly towards me and about to get in the door. It is one of those cases that would be translated into a snake deliberately targeting a person to kill them by the average person. All it really wanted to do is invade my home.

It would be illegal for me to tail it to move it away, as I don't pay to be authorized to do such a thing. My only legal option was to blast it. Interestingly, the local lacies didn't eat it until it started to rot and only ate the tail end.

I would have removed between 300 - 400 Browns from homes and businesses by tailing them over the 10 years that I lived in Inverell and there was a heap more that I would come across out in the scrub. I didn't charge anyone and just did it as a community service. The cops, council & other emergency services had me on speed dial...hahaha. :)

@Yellowtail, did he take a pre-killed mouse or did he kill it himself? I’ve no idea whether venomous snakes accept dead prey.

@Yellowtail, did he take a pre-killed mouse or did he kill it himself? I’ve no idea whether venomous snakes accept dead prey.
Ofc they take dead stuff, shake it a few times and they think it’s alive :p

Lookup viperkeeper, he feeds culled rats and mice too venomous all the time

It was freshly killed from a batch I had just gassed and I shook it a bit till he struck at it, he took a 2nd one I dropped in there after that photo with no hesitation. I think he had targeted the smell of my mice and was ready to feed, my bottom shelf mice tubs were perfect for him. I always thought SBs were mainly nocturnal like their other close relatives but this was middle of the day in a brightly lit garage, not sure if it was hanging out in there for a while or just came through open door. I'll be more careful where I put my hands in future, a guy died from an SB bite in northern NSW recently.

I always thought SBs were mainly nocturnal like their other close relatives but this was middle of the day in a brightly lit garage, not sure if it was hanging out in there for a while or just came through open door. I'll be more careful where I put my hands in future, a guy died from an SB bite in northern NSW recently.

They are mainly nocturnal Yellowtail but as you found out they will venture out during the day. We get them all the time around here in Bellingen and they often show up in sheds during the daytime. I've also collected Broad Headed Snakes basking during the middle of the day in October and November. A couple in full sunlight and others at the entrance to crevices.

All Hops are potent little kritters. That guy you are referring to that died happened here in Bello a couple of years back during a big flood. He didn't treat the bite correctly and he was cut off because of the flood so emergency services were delayed getting to him. From memory it was the second death recorded from a Stephen's Banded bite. I remember Eric Worrell spending a week in hospital after a Broad Headed bite and I've had 2 friends nearly croak it from Broad Headed bites as well. Also had a couple of mates hospitalized for a few days from Pale Head bites.

That's a nice looking Stephen's there too.

I released it late this afternoon and covered it with bark, had a look an hour later and it had not moved. They are a beautiful little snake and this one was not at all aggressive, someone who was not aware how potent they are could easily treat them casually and get tagged. It was interesting to see it make multiple bites on the already dead mice.

IMG_2614.jpg

All Hops are potent little kritters. That guy you are referring to that died happened here in Bello a couple of years back during a big flood. He didn't treat the bite correctly and he was cut off because of the flood so emergency services were delayed getting to him. From memory it was the second death recorded from a Stephen's Banded bite. I remember Eric Worrell spending a week in hospital after a Broad Headed bite and I've had 2 friends nearly croak it from Broad Headed bites as well. Also had a couple of mates hospitalized for a few days from Pale Head bites.

That's a nice looking Stephen's there too.

George,
you should also mention how long it takes someone to "get over" a Stephens bite. The talk I have heard over the years is that they mess you up for a good six plus weeks or more.

Unlike Death Adders, which once you get past the possible heart attack thing, have no long lasting effects except for maybe numbness near the bite.

Another nice pattern carpet trying to get at my cockies, bad timing to take better pics as I've had no power all day and another thunder storm just hit so I quickly carried him across the road in the rain.
This beautiful Qld weather is becoming a pain, today is the 4th time in a few months that I've had a power outage of a day or more.

IMG_2676.jpg IMG_2678.jpg

Power outages are very common in the hinterland. My mate in the sunny coast hinterland has regular power outages that last up to a week. He's got 3 generators to keep the joint running.

I have generators but it's all the stuffing around running extension leads and not using things like aircon and having to keep fuel in the gens in the middle of a storm. If I had known it was this bad I would have set up a big generator to automatically power everything but that's expensive.

The joys of bush life. Still, the pros outweigh the cons. I had 18 years of it in the upper Macleay valley. Best years of my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back