Sand monitor not eating

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

matthew casas

Reaction score
hi guys, I’m new in the forum and also new with sand monitors.
Yesterday I bought my first sand monitor, a 4 months old monitor.
I’ve tried to feed him today and he didn’t want to eat, it was like he didn’t care that there was a pinky and crickets (I’ve tried to feed him with crickets and a pinky) and I left some crickets in his enclosure.
I know a lot of reptiles don’t want to eat when they get in a new home, but I wanted to be sure
His enclose in 5ftX3x2
Temperatures: 50-55 hot spot, 33 overall, 27-30 cool spot
I’m gonna post some photos of his enclosure
Thanks a lot.
[doublepost=1544072195,1544071961][/doublepost]That’s his enclosure

51B8879F-BEA0-4DBF-B87B-9D9971B51259.jpeg
[doublepost=1544072271][/doublepost]That’s my monitor (I haven’t been handling it, I took this photo when I was moving from the box to his new tank)

713F0E51-2C2C-450A-917E-F0EBB8013834.jpeg

Last edited:
I'd increase the hot spot(s) to a range of between 50-70c. Looks like there could be two since there is two IR lights. So maybe have one at 50-60c and the other at 60-70c.

Take out any food he doesn't eat as Crickets will stress him at night time when he's trying to sleep. I wouldn't try feeding him again for another few days at least either (took mine a good week or so before he finally stated eating).

When you do though, try bits of cut up Chicken Necks / Woodies over Crickets (at least this is what my Yellow Spotted Monitor preferred as a baby). I'd also bump up to Fuzzies. You'd be surprised what they can get and keep down. Worse case just chop it up.

Ditch the IR heat lights and replace them with normal halogen spot globes. Imitates the Sun better and focuses the heat / light more on one particular spot. Looks like there is a UV / Fluro tube in there so that's fine.

If the IR lights are for night time heating. I wouldn't worry about it. My Monitor never got night time heating and he's been fine. I had my heating on from 6:30am to 6:30pm. (If the enclosure is set up right there will be enough residual heat for overnight drops in temp anyway).

Having said that though. My Enclosure only had glass at the front. Not the whole way around.

Hope some of this ends up helping and getting him to start eating. It's what I had success with.

Cheers.

I'd increase the hot spot(s) to a range of between 50-70c. Looks like there could be two since there is two IR lights. So maybe have one at 50-60c and the other at 60-70c.

Take out any food he doesn't eat as Crickets will stress him at night time when he's trying to sleep. I wouldn't try feeding him again for another few days at least either (took mine a good week or so before he finally stated eating).

When you do though, try bits of cut up Chicken Necks / Woodies over Crickets (at least this is what my Yellow Spotted Monitor preferred as a baby). I'd also bump up to Fuzzies. You'd be surprised what they can get and keep down. Worse case just chop it up.

Ditch the IR heat lights and replace them with normal halogen spot globes. Imitates the Sun better and focuses the heat / light more on one particular spot. Looks like there is a UV / Fluro tube in there so that's fine.

If the IR lights are for night time heating. I wouldn't worry about it. My Monitor never got night time heating and he's been fine. I had my heating on from 6:30am to 6:30pm. (If the enclosure is set up right there will be enough residual heat for overnight drops in temp anyway).

Having said that though. My Enclosure only had glass at the front. Not the whole way around.

Hope some of this ends up helping and getting him to start eating. It's what I had success with.

Cheers.
Thanks a lot man!
Cool man I’m gonna get more globes and increase the hot spot and make one more and I’m going to replace those IR for those that you told me.
At night I turn off all those lights and the enclosure stays around 22-25 degrees
[doublepost=1544076508,1544076284][/doublepost]

Cheers.
Thanks a lot man!
Cool man I’m gonna get more globes and increase the hot spot and make one more and I’m going to replace those IR for those that you told me.
At night I turn off all those lights and the enclosure stays around 22-25 degrees

No worries mate. Let us know how it goes.

Just to give you an idea of how fast they grow.

Around 4 Months Old: Cut Up Chicken Necks/Woodies/Various Insects/Small Mice

20171202_152438.jpg - resize.jpg

Around A Year Later: Multiple Full Chicken Necks/Larger Insects/Multiple 5 Day Old Chicks/Multiple Full Grown Mice/Small Adult Rats

20181206_164543.jpg - resize.jpg

No worries mate. Let us know how it goes.

Just to give you an idea of how fast they grow.

Around 4 Months Old: Cut Up Chicken Necks/Woodies/Various Insects/Small Mice

View attachment 325760

Around A Year Later: Multiple Full Chicken Necks/Larger Insects/Multiple 5 Day Old Chicks/Multiple Full Grown Mice/Small Adult Rats

View attachment 325761
Dude your monitor is awesome!
Two question, do I have to cook the chicken neck? Do you think in a couple of days (maybe 2 or 3) is a good time to start handling him?

Last edited:
Dude your monitor is awesome!
Two question, do I have to cook the chicken neck? Do you think in a couple of days (maybe 2 or 3) is a good time to start handling him?

Thanks man.

I've never cooked meat for Monitors. Obviously if the Chicken Necks or Mice/Rats are Frozen I thaw them out in hot water.

Honestly I wouldn't try handling him at all until he's eating regularly and even then... Some Monitors just don't like being handled at all.

They require a lot of patience. With mine I can pat him, scratch his chin, rub his back, a lot things you wouldn't think a Monitor would let you do. I feel like I've gained his trust somewhat. Always room to for improvement however.

But trying to actually handle him. He doesn't really like it. Plus even when they're smaller they can leave a nasty bite, so keep that in mind.

Haven't given up completely on the idea of handling him though. Might let me one day.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back