Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys!

I have a spare 3ft (3x2x2) setup I was considering getting a single ackie.

Will I be able to get away with 3ft or is that simply too small?

Hey guys!

I have a spare 3ft (3x2x2) setup I was considering getting a single ackie.

Will I be able to get away with 3ft or is that simply too small?
i'd go for a 4ft enclosure at the minimum, with 3ft of height for burrowing space. You could have a smaller terrestrial monitor in that though, such as a storrs monitor, stripe tailed monitor, etc.

Not a picture but... Turok actually let me measure him today. Yes I mean I literally got a tape measure and put one end on the tip of his nose and the other end at the tip of his tail and he didn't crack a poo about it. Was pretty surprised.

He measured in at 1.1m. Just over 2 years old. So I'm going with 'He'. Especially since he has a bit of his tail missing (got him like that from breeder). Just the white part at the very end. How long usually is that?

Oh on a side note. A couple of his toe nails have broken off somehow. Pretty sure this only happened since he was in his tank outside and started digging though. Will they eventually grow back or it depends?

Part of the nail(s) are still there so they're not completely ripped out.

I don't think it's a humidity/shedding issue as he has a bath tub to swim in and i spray him regularly if it's hot outside. Plus when it rains naturally the humidity goes up.
[doublepost=1573044484,1569403579][/doublepost]Well, got my second bite today. Not sure what triggered it. Food response I would guess. Even though I gave him a big Rat just yesterday (and I thought he was getting used to the idea that bowl means food... That seems to be out the window now).

IMG_7135.jpg IMG_7136.jpg

Didn't do too much damage. Put a heap of dettol on it and a bandaid pad over it. Not hurting or anything so should be all good.

I am disappointed though as I thought I was making good progress with Turok.

Where should I go from here?
[doublepost=1576479917][/doublepost]
Old man found this poor squashed bugger while driving along today.

received_754127241741830.jpeg

Rather than let it go to waste we chucked it in for Turok (would of given it to one of the Pythons otherwise) and let him be.

Only one Goanna left in the tank so I'm assuming he got it down. His biggest feed yet.

Not a picture but... Turok actually let me measure him today. Yes I mean I literally got a tape measure and put one end on the tip of his nose and the other end at the tip of his tail and he didn't crack a poo about it. Was pretty surprised.

He measured in at 1.1m. Just over 2 years old. So I'm going with 'He'. Especially since he has a bit of his tail missing (got him like that from breeder). Just the white part at the very end. How long usually is that?

Oh on a side note. A couple of his toe nails have broken off somehow. Pretty sure this only happened since he was in his tank outside and started digging though. Will they eventually grow back or it depends?

Part of the nail(s) are still there so they're not completely ripped out.

I don't think it's a humidity/shedding issue as he has a bath tub to swim in and i spray him regularly if it's hot outside. Plus when it rains naturally the humidity goes up.
[doublepost=1573044484,1569403579][/doublepost]Well, got my second bite today. Not sure what triggered it. Food response I would guess. Even though I gave him a big Rat just yesterday (and I thought he was getting used to the idea that bowl means food... That seems to be out the window now).

View attachment 327988 View attachment 327989

Didn't do too much damage. Put a heap of dettol on it and a bandaid pad over it. Not hurting or anything so should be all good.

I am disappointed though as I thought I was making good progress with Turok.

Where should I go from here?
[doublepost=1576479917][/doublepost]
Old man found this poor squashed bugger while driving along today.

View attachment 328143

Rather than let it go to waste we chucked it in for Turok (would of given it to one of the Pythons otherwise) and let him be.

Only one Goanna left in the tank so I'm assuming he got it down. His biggest feed yet.
First up you should only measure from snout to vent but good luck on measuring it in the first place. Reason being as you said tail nips etc. can make measurements widely variable.But at that size I might hazard a guess and say female?
Second, length isn't always the best guide but the width of the head is a better guide also apparently the length of the nose, although if you only have 1 there is nothing to compare with.
I use a food bowl when offering things like chicken necks, hearts or livers. When feeding rats or quail I always use tongs

Hi Tobe404, I would guess he/she has lost around 5 to7cm from the tail tip. As far as the claws are concerned, if the root is undamaged (from what you say it doesn't sound as if it is) the claws should regrow, although it will take a few months. When did the bite occur (meaning was it during offering food)?
I think it will be tricky for you considering the animal isn`t that tractable yet, but if you can get a pic of the tailbase in profile it may be possible to see hemipenal bulges or lack of, because it`s quite likely the monitor could be sexually mature at this size (maturity has more to do with size than age). Here`s an example, it doesn`t matter I`m showing a different species (Asian water monitor)...
7833916556_ed504a68a1[1].jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys.

Claws have regrown so I'm happy about that.

I got bitten just randomly. Didn't have any food on me or any where near the Monitors tank at the time (but at the same time, it really seemed like a food response bite).
It was a surprise to me as I've interacted with Turok fine before and there's been no hint of aggression or wanting to bite at all.

It's all healed up now anyway so all good really.

As for the tail tip, I'd guess there's around 10-15cm gone. So I'd say Turok would be about 1.2-1.3m if the entire tail was intact.

I will try and get a picture of the tailbase at some point to see if we can spot any bulges (or lack of).

Cheers again.

Latest posts

Back