Responsible sale of Hatchling Pythons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yellowtail

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
This add is on Gumtree.
Is it just me or is it a good idea to be selling a 2 week old hatchling after just one feed?
I generally wait till they are 6 wks old, feeding strongly and regularly, always taking into account the experience of the buyer even after 4 or 5 feeds.

Screen Shot 2019-02-10 at 10.59.47 am.png

It really just depends on what the breeder wants to do. Ive been sold a 3 day old before, never refused a feed but yeah it’s just down to the seller and the buyer.

It is up to the breeder and purchaser. But to be advertising them at that age I think is a bit irresponsible isn't it a general unspoken rule that 10 feeds is an established feeder

I agree with YT.
Breeder has a responsibility to both the animal & the buyer. If the last one is being sold at 2 weeks at what age were the others sold?

This stinks of much that is bad with the breeding side of the hobby these days. Breeder just wants to move them out as quickly as possible and the buyer believes this to be normal. Most breeders I know wont let animals go until they have had 2 sloughs and a minimum of 6 consecutive unassisted feeds. I have no problem advertising at that age but animals wouldn't be leaving till they hit the minimum requirements.

At 350 its not a cheap Darwin is it? Im sure I have seen them much cheaper and if Im paying market price I expect some minimum standards to be in place.

I have no trouble selling my albino hatchlings for $400 plus unsexed but they are not "ordinary" albinos, I sell advanced hatchlings and yearlings sexed because I can be 100% accurate at that age with no risk to the python.
I recently advertised and sold a whole clutch of Julatten jungles to individual buyers, most before the eggs were even laid, but I did not deliver any till they were well established feeders even to the point of argument with one buyer who did not want to wait and I offered him his deposit back. The animals welfare is paramount and how many threads have we had here involving people having feeding problems with animals they recently purchased.

As the breeder you're asking for headaches selling hatchies thst aren't good feeders . Even established Hatchlings can be stressful enough for some new keepers .

As the breeder you're asking for headaches selling hatchies thst aren't good feeders . Even established Hatchlings can be stressful enough for some new keepers .
Yeah... I wonder if they'd be prepared to take them back if the person who purchased them couldn't get them going...

Yeah... I wonder if they'd be prepared to take them back if the person who purchased them couldn't get them going...

For me it would depend upon my ability to provide appropriate quarantine for a returned animal. (And for locally sold animals only as when selling interstate it becomes a real problem obviously)

In some states, (certainly in Vic) there is the 6 month transfer restriction to consider also.
Can be bypassed but still a headache to deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back