Writing a YA novel

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Count Von Word

Reaction score
One of my characters is a 14 year old kid living in Esperance (Western Australia) in 1999. What kind of snake would he be likely to own? Preferably native and preferably python type. Is it legal for him to own this snake? TIA

A South Western Carpet Python but he must have a licence to keep it legally.
[doublepost=1550216775,1550210238][/doublepost]
A South Western Carpet Python but he must have a licence to keep it legally.
Not sure about WA but 14 may be too young to get a licence so It may have to be in a parents name.

In 1999 I don't believe it was legal for a 14 year old to keep any type of snake anywhere in WA. I may be wrong.

I can use the snake not being legal as a plot point, so this is helpful, thanks

Cool. If I recall correctly (don't even think about quoting me on this) it was around 2002 that the WA licensing system came in.

And yep, in WA it most likely would have been a Carpet Python.

The pet keeping system was introduced in 2003 in WA. Before then, it was illegal to keep any reptile unless you had a scientific research or public education display licence, and these were very rare and difficult to obtain. Only about a dozen across the State.

Ah, there you go. I remembered discussing the details of the new WA system in 2002, but couldn't remember whether it was just before or after the new system had come to be. I thought it was one or the other, glad to know I'm not completely crazy just yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back