Bells monitor

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spastic

Reaction score
Hi guys, im new to the forum and still reading heaps.
so abit about my pets I have 3 Ewd which are all tame and love to chill with the family. Also have a jungle python who thinks its one of the kids.

i have recently rescued a lovely bells monitor as of 2 weeks ago, and who i think has a good personally, but its very hard to handle, very defensive and angry.
It never fed unless it was left alone but i have now since got him or her to feed from tongs.
i can now stand in the cage with it and not be attacked, if i pick it up with hands it does not like it at all..
So my question is, has anyone one had this same problem?
Any advice would be great
Cheers

Hi guys, im new to the forum and still reading heaps.
so abit about my pets I have 3 Ewd which are all tame and love to chill with the family. Also have a jungle python who thinks its one of the kids.

i have recently rescued a lovely bells monitor as of 2 weeks ago, and who i think has a good personally, but its very hard to handle, very defensive and angry.
It never fed unless it was left alone but i have now since got him or her to feed from tongs.
i can now stand in the cage with it and not be attacked, if i pick it up with hands it does not like it at all..
So my question is, has anyone one had this same problem?
Any advice would be great
Cheers
let the monitor settle in. for the first few weeks there should be as minimal handling possible, handling it too much while it settles in can make it a much less trusting monitor as an adult(i'm assuming the lacie is either a juvenile or subadult, considering you can seemingly handle it.) which with lacies being very generous with giving you quite a few inch deep cuts, deff won't be the best. large monitors never like to be held though, even if some like to chill around their owners, and it's completely normal for a lacie to not want to be handled, and lacies (seemingly especially juveniles) are usually annoyed little buggers in general.

Bells phase lacies seem to in general seem to be very pissed in comparison to normal lacies anyways.

Last edited:
yea its a sub adult hasn't had the best life i could see from old owner. but know if got the chance to give it a good healthy life. ill see how it goes with feeding and no touching i feed it every 2 to 3 days as its always hungry from what i can see. is there anything else i should know.
Also have two kids who play outside so would the noise bother it to much or would you say its ok

thanks

Last edited:
yea its a sub adult hasn't had the best life i could see from old owner. but know if got the chance to give it a good healthy life. ill see how it goes with feeding and no touching i feed it every 2 to 3 days as its always hungry from what i can see. is there anything else i should know.
Also have two kids who play outside so would the noise bother it to much or would you say its ok

thanks
noise shouldn't bother it too much. what do you feed it? lacies always are interested in eating food though, they'll eat until they vomit if they're allowed to.

He or she is on rats gets x2 rats every 2 to 3 days some diced chicken from the wife when she cooks it. Chicken necks from time.to time once abit bigger will get the 1 day old chicks also loves eggs not sure how offen but dont want to over feed it only had it for 2x weeks..

We have just moved our 17 month old Lacies outside to their new home,so totally new to outside noises. Helicopters,planes ,birds,weather etc. all new but nothing phases them, we even have free range chickens.They get 2 hopper rats or chicken necks or hearts or giblets a couple of times a week. We used to feed eggs but it seems to give them gastric so we stopped.

Ahh cool so feeding wise is all good.

now when we walk past the cage he seems to hiss and then jump at us. it has never been ouside befor. I also made a hide box for him to hide in with sand. But i find he dosnt use it to try keep.warm he sits up.at his heat lamps all night till i turn them on in the morning..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back