Question of possible Impaction noob help please.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrettJ

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Ok, I recently bought a 2(ish) yr old Woma, fantastic specimen, I could not let it pass. I am concerned about her ingesting desert sand substrate, on he first feed I fed her in the enclosure, which has sand substrate. Being a great feeder she constricted the medium rat, rolled through a large water bowl and onto the sand there was a line of sand down the rat. this is the first and last feed i will do here, from now forward i will feed her in a tub, then move her back to her home.

My question is, would this one and only ingestion of sand have an affect ??
my main concern is that of impaction, though my son ensures me this would occur if feeding was constantly carried out in the sand substrate.
I would appreciate your opinions please. and any other advice you may feel relevant.

Thanks for reading.

B.J.

please don't feed in a Tub:confused: :confused:

Woma.jpg
Assuming u have red desert sand, its what these guys live on. I'm sure they get a bit more than a little bit of dirt/sand in their mouth.

HOWEVER, if you have the really crappy sand that turns to concrete when wet, that's a different story and will almost always result in the death of an animal and should be chucked asap.

But please don't feed in a tub..its useless.

First up NO it wont affect your woma, (unless as blaze says you have the fine sand) they live on sand etc..
And second it is a bad idea to try and feed in a different enclosure. Remember you shouldn't touch them after feeding, so how can you move them????

They don’t get “wet rats” in the wild... not a fan of sand. But used to eat it when I was kid lol

Last edited:
please don't feed in a Tub:confused: :confused:

Woma.jpg
Assuming u have red desert sand, its what these guys live on. I'm sure they get a bit more than a little bit of dirt/sand in their mouth.

HOWEVER, if you have the really crappy sand that turns to concrete when wet, that's a different story and will almost always result in the death of an animal and should be chucked asap.

But please don't feed in a tub..its useless.
Thanks very much for the reply. The sand is red desert sand as sold in reptile stores.

Was thinking more along the lines of a 2 inch high plastc tub placing it one side of the enclosure at feeding day (as i like to have a feeding zone for my pythons) just to limit the sand.

So im eliminating that idea all together.
I guess if its ingestion of the sand is not too much concern then i will continue using the red sand substrate. Just avoid the wet rat. !

Really appreciate the feedback. As i mentioned being a Woma Noob this week.!

First up NO it wont affect your woma, (unless as blaze says you have the fine sand) they live on sand etc..
And second it is a bad idea to try and feed in a different enclosure. Remember you shouldn't touch them after feeding, so how can you move them????
Thanks dragonlover1 for the response, yeah stupidly i just thought same as you posted re the tub Dont know what i was thinking.. or didnt think through. scrapped that idea.
As long as ingestion of the red sand is fine i wont be worried. If it is a major concern i will change to the kritter krumble. Though i like the red sand. Womas just look magnificent on that red and colors really stand out in contrast. !!
Thanks again really appreciate your input.
[emoji120]
B.J.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back